Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

joselillo_25
Gerbil
Topic Author

Current state for a home Web server

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 am

I am using a rackspace account that charge me $40 month for a 120 Mb/s shared VPS for an online store

The store do not have much traffic and with the current fiber symetrical high speed conections here in spain I am thinking to use one of this at home/work to allocate my server.

I am really scared about attacks as internet this days have become much more dangerous than the ancient times when people usually use home-servers for things like email, but I have read a lot of nightmares about running a internet server at home.

Are the home routers prepared to get several request from the internet? or is there any limit of connections? are people having a lot of security problems in their networks having a home server in the same ip? I am planing to use a hard-firewall of the one built in the router but do not know if this is enough these days.

thank you.

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Current state for a home Web server

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:57 am

You're probably better looking at SOHO routers rather than home ones. SonicWALL do a fairly comprehensive range and having used their higher end stuff in the past, I'm reasonably comfortable recommending those.

Sophos do a good range of UTM devices too. They have a free for home use product which can be put onto a VM or onto physical hardware. It's the same code as their core UTM product but restricted to 50 IP addresses

https://www.sophos.com/en/products/free ... ition.aspx

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 am

Is this a Linux server or a Microsoft one? If it's a Linux one then you might as well just use the Linux server for the router portion as well. With automatic updates on, ports locked down and fail2ban running, your Linux server will be fine. I wouldn't expose a Microsoft box to the Internet.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:30 pm

You sure you can get a static IP on your home connection? Many ISPs do offer them but not all and most don't give you one unless you ask.

It may be against the T&Cs of your broadband contract to run a webserver on it and it's even possible your ISP blocks some ports to stop you. Assuming they aren't actually blocking you'd probably get away with it assuming it isn't too busy.

If you just use the basic router you get from your ISP your server will have to be on the same network as the rest of your house. That will work just fine but if the server gets hacked it gives the hackers access to your house. Also if a desktop gets hacked it might give them access to the server. It would be nice to have a proper firewall that allows you to have multiple networks so you can isolate the server. You can pickup something that can do that for about 50euro but setting it up would be complicated. Nice to have but not essential.

Email... Your server almost certainly won't be able to send email (at least not reliably) from your home connection without using a smarthost.

Just remember that your home broadband connection won't be anything like as reliable as the datacentre so expect the site to be down more often.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:44 pm

How about a cheaper VPS? Linode has plans starting at $5/month. For a low-traffic site one of their lower tier offerings should be sufficient.

$10/month gets you 2GB RAM, 30GB storage (SSD-based), 2TB/month of data transfer, and gigabit connectivity to the 'net.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm

You do NOT want to run a web-server at home. Let me repeat: you do NOT want to run a web-server at home. Tu no quieres tener un servidor en tu casa!

You're going to get into all sorts of trouble: power outs, problems or expense getting a static IP from your provider, having to keep hardware going 24/7 with absolutely zero interruptions, having enough bandwidth, monitoring so you know what to do when a DoS comes, and so on and so forth.

What you really want is what JBI said above: an affordable third-party hosting service, like Linode, Amazon, DigitalOcean, etc. Linode has a datacenter in Germany so that's close enough. Here's the pricing table. Note: I have no affiliation with Linode, I'm just a happy customer (well, TR is).
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Redocbew

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Yeah, for anything business related it's just not a good idea to run your own server at home. When there's services like Linode, AWS and Azure around it's just not worth the trouble especially if you're not particularly interested in the setup and configuration of the server its self. All of the actual administration of the machine can be done remotely just as easily as if it was in the next room in your house.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Yup, this:

just brew it! wrote:
How about a cheaper VPS? Linode has plans starting at $5/month. For a low-traffic site one of their lower tier offerings should be sufficient.

$10/month gets you 2GB RAM, 30GB storage (SSD-based), 2TB/month of data transfer, and gigabit connectivity to the 'net.

End User

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 pm

morphine wrote:
You do NOT want to run a web-server at home. Let me repeat: you do NOT want to run a web-server at home. Tu no quieres tener un servidor en tu casa!

You're going to get into all sorts of trouble: power outs, problems or expense getting a static IP from your provider, having to keep hardware going 24/7 with absolutely zero interruptions, having enough bandwidth, monitoring so you know what to do when a DoS comes, and so on and so forth.

I'm happy running my personal website via my home based ESXi server. The server and network infrastructure is connected to a UPS to handle brownouts and brief power outages. My IP rarely changes. I have unlimited bandwidth and my service is fairly decent (250/20).

If I was more serious about it I'd fire up an AWS instance.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:30 am

When something breaks, it's always much better that it's Someone Else's Problem. There are no cost savings here. As a fun project, sure, but with VM pricing as low as it is, why even bother?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Kougar

Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:07 am

just brew it! wrote:

I'm with JBI on this. With Rackspace you are paying extra for their top support, there are cheaper options.

TravelMug
Gerbil

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:00 am

As it has been said already, don't run it from home. It makes no sense. Both Rackspace and Amazon are pretty expensive for this, much better options are the VPS providers, from my point of view the top choice there being Linode as well. The $10 instance should be enough for your needs, I would not go with the $5 one as I expect that will be on hosts that are pretty contested.

stumpers
Gerbil In Training

Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:55 am

If you want to run some experiments then it's well worth checking out the low-end scene - see Low End Box. There are some incredible bargains to be had if you can do without dedicated IP addresses. If you want a more serious provider, then Vultr and Scaleway are pretty fantastic value. Unless you know you need the extra resource - go lean :)