Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Steel, notfred

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Streaming still image to TV

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 pm

I can stream still images - right click on image file/Play to/TV(tv name) - to 4K TV but my problem is the displayed image is not in full screen - height and width. Displayed size of the image on the screen varies depending on their resolution of the images. I tried the image fiiles as follows:
1) 4032 x 3024
2) 3264 x 2448
3) 5472 x 3648
4) 3648 x 5472
I do not see any difference between 1) and 2). 3) is a little smaller than 1) and 2). 4) is almost in full screen in its height.
There is no such problem for video image streaming: Video images are displayed in full screen regardless of the resolution.

Is there any solution?

meerkt
Gerbil Elite

Re: Streaming still image to TV

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Wasn't this discussed in the old thread?
viewtopic.php?t=116701

The ultimate solution is not to use TV photo viewers. If you want real control you need control over the software that does the displaying. Give up on the "smart" of TVs, and just connect some sort of computer to the TV. Maybe even an Android box will do.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:48 pm

I have not found a solution since yet. Using a PC just for streaming still images is out of question.
I would think what can be done for video - displaying in full screen - can be done for still image since video is still image, just a bunch of them displayed in rapid succession.

meerkt
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:33 am

It's all a question of software. And software in closed systems is rarely good and is practically never updated, so you're at their mercy.
Even if you found a solution now your next TV will do it differently, so you'll have to find a solution again.

If you've updated your TV's firmware and that's still the behavior, the only things I can think of are :

* Come up with some script on your PC to preprocess photos before sending them to the TV.

* Try to use your TV file browser to access photo directories on your PC, instead of pushing them to the TV. Maybe the TV uses a different photo viewer for that scenario, and maybe it works better.