Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

How to diagnose a roaming AP problem?

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am

I'm trying to diagnose an intermittent problem with the guest network at the office. There are three Asus APs sharing the same AP name and password, but periodically one of them crashes. If my laptop or phone roams over to it, I still have a WiFi connection but no Internet access. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed down the offending unit simply by resetting it and seeing if the problem goes away, but it would help if I could force the laptop or phone to roam to a specific unit.

Is there a method or app in Windows 10, or Android, that makes this practical? I can see the channels using WiFi Analyzer, but I can't figure out how to force a transfer.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: How to diagnose a roaming AP problem?

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am

This could be hard to do. Since you already suspect the unit in question, I'd do this: Set up a unique SSID that only exists on that AP, set up for Public Internet access.

Then set your testing device to use that network and see if it drops.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:07 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
This could be hard to do. Since you already suspect the unit in question, I'd do this: Set up a unique SSID that only exists on that AP, set up for Public Internet access.

Nice idea, but I should have mentioned that I don't have access to the AP administration, and the local IT guy is buried in other tasks. So I'm trying to diagnose this by isolating the suspect unit. Forcing a device to choose a particular AP channel can't be that hard, I'm just not sure what setting or app would do the trick.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:18 pm

ludi wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Nice idea, but I should have mentioned that I don't have access to the AP administration, and the local IT guy is buried in other tasks. So I'm trying to diagnose this by isolating the suspect unit. Forcing a device to choose a particular AP channel can't be that hard, I'm just not sure what setting or app would do the trick.

"Seems". Forcing a device to stick with an AP is actually very hard unless you have either 1) specialized wireless driver for your OS of choice, or 2) enterprise AP hardware.

Since you appear to have troubleshot this as best you can, your best option is to prod IT to proactively replace or disable the AP.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Just found a thread elsewhere with a similar problem, and some suggestions/cautions. InSSIDer is no longer viable because the developer has gone full commercial with prices to match, but some of the other possibilities look doable.

rona rosen1
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 am

Since forcing a device to roam to a specific unit is very hard to do, consider trying a different approach.

My suggestion is to consider some sort of network testing equipment like Ixia's Ixchariot to test the wireless AP performance.