Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Streaming frustrations

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:30 am

Nah, that's how it works for me too Waco. Throughout the house, AC/5GHz works better nearly everywhere. Once I'm out back on the patio or something I might switch over to 2.4. Really though, at least for me, 5GHz in my house is almost always faster even with a weak signal.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
notfred wrote:
I know you say you can't get wired to that point, but wireless really sucks. How about doing PowerLine Networking to get wired connectivity over there.

Forget the routers with WiFi. If you need good WiFi then go to something like a Unifi Access Point. I have an AP AC LR and it is impressive. I live in a neighbourhood with a lot of high tech folks, 33 different SSIDs seen in the last 7 minutes, some at up to 82% signal strength (-57dBm) and it still gets great performance.

That was my solution. If you live in a neighborhood, you are not in control of your wireless bandwidth. If I go upstairs in my house, I see about 25 different access points. As that APs get active, they start to interfere with mine. Streaming over wireless just isn't a realistic endeavor in my mind.

--SS

I see 40+ APs in my area and my wireless network is always rock solid. Via wireless I use an Apple TV (x2), Chromecast Ultra, laptop, tablet, phone, 4 speaker Sonos setup, and a number of Hue bulbs. Internally I have a Plex server that I use to stream my Blu-ray collection but I also stream from Prime Video, YouTube, Netflix, etc. If there is a WEC or IMSA race on I'll be streaming on multiple devices throughout my space. I've never had an issue with streaming over wireless.

My cable modem is in pass-through mode and feeds my firewall. On my internal network I have a AP in bridge mode.

I was worried about my wireless network when I moved into my building in the spring so I bought a UniFi AC HD solution to replace my Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is doing such a good job that I keep forgetting to setup the UniFi AC HD.

Redocbew

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 am

Switching to a less crowded channel can help also. There's a bunch APs around here also, so I did that a few months ago when wireless was becoming spotty. I put Acrylic WiFi on my laptop to check it out. It's a pretty nifty little app.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

The Egg

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 am

End User wrote:
I see 40+ APs in my area and my wireless network is always rock solid. Via wireless I use an Apple TV (x2), Chromecast Ultra, laptop, tablet, phone, 4 speaker Sonos setup, and a number of Hue bulbs. Internally I have a Plex server that I use to stream my Blu-ray collection but I also stream from Prime Video, YouTube, Netflix, etc. If there is a WEC or IMSA race on I'll be streaming on multiple devices throughout my space. I've never had an issue with streaming over wireless.

I was worried about my wireless network when I moved into my building in the spring so I bought a UniFi AC HD solution to replace my Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is doing such a good job that I keep forgetting to setup the UniFi AC HD.

Sounds like you happen to have a couple nearly unused channels through nothing more than luck. Hopefully the 40 people within range continue to use exactly the same network hardware and config, and one of them doesn't add a 9-antenna monstrosity of a router in 2 months. Unfortunately you have no control over the airwaves. I'm glad that everything is (currently) working out well for you, but the OP reports issues in his particular situation. If you're trying to suggest that he shouldn't put in the effort to run a cable and permanently resolve/avoid any issues, you're leading him in the wrong direction.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:34 am

I don't doubt that, Waco. In theory AC should be better at range. In reality most people don't have a TP-Link Archer, they have a POS $40 Belkin or D-Link (D-Link makes some decent stuff, but not on the low end).

Then again the place I live is so congested that even 5GHz runs out of channels most days.

End User

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am

The Egg wrote:
End User wrote:

Sounds like you happen to have a couple nearly unused channels through nothing more than luck. Hopefully the 40 people within range continue to use exactly the same network hardware and config, and one of them doesn't add a 9-antenna monstrosity of a router in 2 months. Unfortunately you have no control over the airwaves. I'm glad that everything is (currently) working out well for you, but the OP reports issues in his particular situation. If you're trying to suggest that he shouldn't put in the effort to run a cable and permanently resolve/avoid any issues, you're leading him in the wrong direction.

I have a very good 802.11ac AP and a very centralized setup so that is probably why I have no issues. If my setup was spread out over a larger area and/or multiple floors I'd extend my wireless network with additional AP units to combat neighbouring networks.

As I mentioned previously I'm switching to a UniFi AC HD (x2) based setup . Overkill but I want to test out UniFi's multi AP setup.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:47 pm

LostCat wrote:
blahsaysblah wrote:
Sort of, definitely less range, see almost no C, but partly because most AP are old and no one knows to use it anyway. However, with apartment/condo, up down was the killer. Distance is just too short. And they are usually clones so you both put AP in same place, like 15 feet apart. (8' ceiling, plus ceiling and a few feet for not exact same spot)

I'd think with actual beamforming kit range/quality wouldn't be as much of an issue. I haven't really noticed any problems with AC that I didn't have with N as well...and if noone else is using it there congestion wouldn't be a problem. Especially since most N traffic is in the 2.4ghz band.

I think it was just that the girl upstairs was using a much better AP than me. Definitely started having connection issues when she moved in. So i moved my AP to different room. Partly issue was cement block walls, i seriously think my best signal strength was out window, bounce off old huge tree, back through bedroom window and that path not being the greatest, a loud/strong AP very close by,... was my conclusion for why issues started happening. Plus she was only one using C like me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯