Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

klrcommute
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fios question--routers

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 am

Considering fios, trying to get an idea how it differs from cable. Does this article seem like an accurate description of how to run your own router? That basically all that's required is an ethernet cable run between the ONT and your router and obviously fiddling with all the configuration settings to make it work? End goal is obviously to save the $200 on a proprietary piece of equipment I want to avoid if possible. Any advice? Thanks

https://loganmarchione.com/2015/07/use-your-own-router-with-verizon-fios/

P.S. Or is it the case that you NEED a fios router connected at some point to even pull this switching to your own thing off, and I'd have to buy one in any event?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Fios question--routers

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:32 pm

My understanding is that you need a FIOS modem, and those usually have routers built into them by default, so you'd be stuck buying one anyway. It may matter if you get TV service, too, but I'm not sure.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Ummagumma
Gerbil

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:41 pm

I do not have FiOS, but I have heard rumors of people doing 1 of 2 things with their FiOS modem/router:

(1) They found a way to place the FiOS modem/router into "bridged mode" which allowed them to use their own router immediately behind it.

(2) They installed their own router behind the FiOS modem/router and figured out how to make the "back to back router" work for them.

You might also think about this. FiOS set-top boxes can communicate upstream to their headend(s) via TCP/IP. That means the situation might be more challenging than I describe. YMMV
Did you expect to read anything useful here?

Parallax
Gerbil

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

I recently set up my own router with fios. No verizon router was required, and it was just plug and play via the ethernet cable attached to the ONT box. No manual DHCP configuration or "IP release" was necessary, though from what I've heard the latter may depend on how long the ONT box has been disconnected from a router.

Not sure about your case, but I have only internet and no cable/phone so the router is the only thing connected to the ONT box. I was also told I have the newest ONT hardware but don't know if that makes a difference.

klrcommute
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Parallax wrote:
though from what I've heard the latter may depend on how long the ONT box has been disconnected from a router.

Right, from what I've been reading it sounds like you need a fios device (MAC address?) to activate a given account, but thereafter you can hook up whatever router you want so long as you have an ethernet run from your ONT, but like you said who knows how long this works for.

klrcommute
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:45 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
My understanding is that you need a FIOS modem, and those usually have routers built into them by default, so you'd be stuck buying one anyway. It may matter if you get TV service, too, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it sounds like all the protocol MoCA business with fios limits you to their device if you have tv service and set top boxes maybe? But if you're just interested in internet the Optic Network Terminal they install has an ethernet port that you can switch to, avoiding the coax, and allowing you to use just your own router. Possibly still need a fios router just to get them to complete the 'install' and activate your account though, then switch to your own equipment.

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

roll your own

Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Gbit fios here and been on fios for a long time, currently a sweet deal at $70 no fees no contract price until 2020.

There is no support for it, but you can have them light up the RJ45 on your ONT and use whatever router you want. You might run into some ordering issues, worst case rent their router for a month or buy one and resell at a small loss on craigslist etc.

TV complicates this, but you can go cablecard and use none of their other ripoff rental gear. YOU DO NOT NEED THEIR ROUTER FOR TV PERIOD - lots of misinformation online about this, stick to dslreports guides. Personally I ditched TV for nothing but 'net, unless you are a total sports junkie you can get pretty much anything worth watching.

I shouldn't have to explain this in 2017 but paying for local phone is for suckers only.

PS don't waste your time with their battery etc, the ONTs still cut off all but phone after 5 mins on battery, even if you don't have that service! Go out and get your own ups for ~$100ish and it will run the ONT and a typical router for a long time. (cyberpower PR1500 on sale is best bang/$ if your power is out often)

If you really use your connection a lot, look into rolling your own router. I run a nice fast pfsense box with lots of options turned on and a big fat VPN.
TR RIP 7/7/2019