Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Vigil80
Gerbil
Topic Author

Intermittent disconnection since router update?

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:09 pm

So about the time the WPA crack was in the news, I updated the firmware on my TP-Link Archer C7 to the latest available. Since about that time, my desktop PC (Win10) somewhat regularly loses connection. It's connected via powerline adapter. The connection drops, I get no connection errors from Windows, Steam, etc., then after 30 seconds or so it comes back.

I don't know for a fact that the router firmware caused the problem. I'm just grasping at correlation. I didn't note exactly when the problem started, I just know it's been in the last few weeks. I installed the fall creator's update as well.

We haven't noticed this problem on other devices yet. We can watch streaming video services for quite some time without interruption. Though I suppose it's possible that the connection comes back before the buffered video runs out?

What the heck to I check to put an end to this? Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Vigil80 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Intermittent disconnection since router update?

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:14 pm

Did you try a factory reset of the router?

If that doesn't resolve it, can you roll back to the original firmware?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Vigil80
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 am

Well the only "factory reset" option I could see changed settings back to their defaults, but it didn't restore the firmware to some earlier state. However after several resets and a reinstall of the current firmware, I got through an extended session yesterday without drops.

Networking being largely voodoo as far as I'm concerned, I don't know whether what I did fixed it or the problem was elsewhere and resolved itself for the moment. But either way, I'll take it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Vigil80 wrote:
Well the only "factory reset" option I could see changed settings back to their defaults, but it didn't restore the firmware to some earlier state.

Right, firmware is firmware and it doesn't usually have any roll-back feature in consumer devices like this. If you want a different version, you have to flash it, and it's usually a good idea to save a "just in case" copy of whatever version you're writing over, if the utility will allow it.

What a factory reset does, or should do, is completely reset the unit's configuration (and user-modifiable storage spaces that hold these settings) to an untouched state. Sometimes that gets rid of a troublemaker, especially if the unit has attempted to preserve user-modified settings across a firmware update.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Be aware that one of the nastier underbellies of cheaper wireless routers is their limited ability to handle more than a handful of devices. Not saying that is your issue, but at least with my ISP, their provided wireless router handled a whopping 7 before it dropped the Wireless link, and therefore made local devices wired and otherwise seem to disappear for the wireless clients. Just make sure your router is capable.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 am

I find it more likely they need to check whether or not it's the powerline adapters themselves. Routers with reasonably updated firmware rarely have issues that aren't a combination of things causing a problem.

Wifi and network drivers can be another story mind you, but powerline is twitchy in my experience.
Meow.