Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

New Netgear Router...Config Questions

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello:

I recently installed a new Netgear R7800 wireless router, and I need some advice on a few settings...

1. IPV6 appears to be disabled. There are a bunch of possible settings...auto detect, auto config, 6-to-4 tunnel, and more. For years now, I've been under the impression that our IPV4 limitations were more dangerous than Global Warming, Peak Oil, and California sliding off into the Pacific Ocean and free will all combined. So what's up with the current state of IPV4 and why do new routers have IPV6 turned off? Just curious.

2. I have turned on "access control" with "allow all new devices" turned off. I figure if I buy a new fridge or washer, I'll just have to remember to open up my network long enough to add the new device. But curious: In your opinion, is the use of this feature generally an overkill, or do you think it's "proper prudence" for a home network?

3. USB Devices attached to the router. So, the last couple routers I've had have the ability to set up one or two USB storage devices (backup drive, etc) directly to the router. I guess it could help me avoid buying a NAS? I'm a bit fuzzy if this is a good thing or if it may be too much trouble down the road (like in 5 years or so when I buy my next router and want to transfer a usb device from one router to another). Your thoughts?

I have more questions, but this is a good start. Thanks in advance!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: New Netgear Router...Config Questions

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 pm

1. If your ISP isn't handing out IPv6 addresses (i.e. your router's WAN addy is an IPv4 addy), leave IPv6 disabled.

2. Prudent, but expect an initial period of complaining about "my phone won't connect" and the like. Depends on your household population and your local external population density.

3. Never tried same, simply because I don't trust router firmware to not be too flaky in this area.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Never tried same, simply because I don't trust router firmware to not be too flaky in this area.

Same.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 pm

For number 3, it's not that it'll be flaky, it's that it'll be slow. Like 30MB/s slow at best. Routers simply don't have the CPU power for much more than that.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:08 pm

If you're wanting IPv6 badly enough, you can sign up for a free tunnel through Hurricane Electric:

https://tunnelbroker.net/

I set one up for me and it was reasonably simple to set my Netgear Orbi to use it. Choose 6to4 tunnel mode, automatic remote IP, that's all. If your ISP-provided IPv4 address changes you'll need to update your HE tunnel information.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm

I have had a R7800 for a good while now. It's probably the best single router on the "consumer" market IMO. There isn't a whole ton you need to do. Make sure to update the firmware before you do anything (not that it will reset the router or anything, but it'll just make things easier).

- Depending on your networking knowledge I'd suggest just using the Advanced menu. It's less graphical and more of a CLI type of thing. (it's not literally a CLI but i'm just saying it's like using a GUI vs CLI)
- I have IPV6 enabled, but obviously my ISP let's me grab one. I haven't noticed any issues.
- I definitely set my own DNS servers in the router firmware. Stupid ISP trying to route everything. I personally use Google and OpenDNS and they've been great.
- Definitely figure out which Wi-Fi channels work best for you and get that set up.
- I personally have QoS off, but that's totally up to you. If you have a ton of client devices you might wanna leave it on.
- The USB performance is OK. You'd be served much better with a NAS or hooking your disks up to a client computer than using the router for that application.
- MU-MIMO works fine. I imagine you'll be hard pressed, just as I am, to find a plethora of devices that have it to take advantage of. I leave it on anyway.

That's all I can think of right now. It's been a great router for the past couple years. I don't have need for much more right now, but I may check out some Ubiquiti stuff in the future.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100