Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

abenedet
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Issue with Router "talking" to Modem

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm

I currently have my PC hard-wired to my modem. I also have a wireless router connected to my modem, but I prefer not to have the PC connected to the router. This may seem weird but for some reason, my wireless router runs better when the PC isn't hard-wired into it.

The issue with my setup is that I want to cast from Chrome on PC to my Chromecast. The Chromecast is connected to the wireless network but with my current setup, Chrome is not able to find the Chromecast.

How do I get the modem to "talk" to the wireless router so that I can cast from my PC?

I'm no expert on networking but quite comfortable messing around with advanced settings on a PC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Issue with Router "talking" to Modem

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:05 pm

With two devices connected to the modem, I assume the modem has its own router built in? If that's the case, and your external router is really there just to act as a wireless access point, what you probably want to do is connect your router to the modem via one of its LAN ports instead of the WAN port.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

yokem55
Gerbil

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
With two devices connected to the modem, I assume the modem has its own router built in? If that's the case, and your external router is really there just to act as a wireless access point, what you probably want to do is connect your router to the modem via one of its LAN ports instead of the WAN port.

If you do this, be sure to turn off the dhcp server on the router and make sure that it's lan IP is different from the modem.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Also worth checking that wireless segregation isn't enabled (I forget the common term for this), but effectively some routers / wireless APs have an option to keep wired ethernet LAN hosts separate from the wireless hosts. You would obviously want that disabled in order to reach the Chromecast.

If still not working after JBIs suggestion, I'd check that your devices are still being assigned valid IPs. Probably the Wireless network will be on a different subnet, not sure if that will be a problem when the PC is directly bridged to the modem. I guess you'll find that out shortly. If that does seem to be a problem, the easiest solution would be to change the WLAN DHCP pool to use part of the same subnet that your PC is using.

It will probably work without these 2 things hopefully.

abenedet
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

I tried the above but it didn't work. To make things easier, I just hooked my modem to my wireless router and enabled bridge mode on the modem. This wasn't my ideal setup but it works and definitely the easier route.

Keep up the great work everyone. Thank you.