Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

VMWare + Guest VPN

Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am

Hi all,

I'm running Win10 Enterprise on my host machine, with a VM Ware (player 14) instance running. I have internet access on both the host and the guest without issue. I want to use a VPN on the VM instance only (not on the host machine). When I NAT or bridge the connection in the VM, it allows me to access those private resources, however any other non-vpn resource will no longer browse. The strange thing is that I can still ping things from the VM instance while connected to the VPN, but I cannot browse them. So TR, reddit, etc will reply with an IP address (which I cannot browse with either) and I am unable to determine what my next course of action should be after exhaustive googling.

Basically, I want my Host machine to stay non-vpn so I can browse/test without the overhead of the VPN, and I want my VM instance to be on the VPN but still able to access the non-vpn resources like I can today without the VM instance on other machines.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I've tried bridged connections and NAT'd through VMWare's config, and both allow me to access the internet, but as soon as I connect to the VPN, I can only browse the VPN resources and nothing else. My coworkers seem to have this exact setup working fine and as I've described but there must be *some* difference here.

edit: Update to weirdness: Now I tinkered with the VMWare settings for the network adapter and I can reach reddit.com and still access network resources (positive reddit isn't cached btw) yet any link from reddit won't load, nor any other site I tried. I am legit confused.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: VMWare + Guest VPN

Tue May 08, 2018 11:52 am

That almost sounds like a DNS resolver issue. Does ping work for known ip addressed? Like 8.8.8.8

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I've tried using the standards fare of ipconfig stuff, winsock reset, and flushing dns etc but there's definitely something goofy going on with DNS. The fact that it replies with the IP address of literally anything is telling of something, but it always times out in the browser to non-vpn resources. Might be time to call in corporate IT, which is largely useless.

Anton Kochubey
Gerbil

Tue May 08, 2018 12:51 pm

If your VPN client software adds route for 0.0.0.0 through VPN gateway, you won't be able to reach networks not reachable from within VPN network from that machine.
You'll have to disable automatic route creation and add routes for private networks [resources] manually, or find out how to configure automatic route creation in a way that it won't route 0.0.0.0/0 via VPN.

Your pings resolve correct IP addresses because your DNS server is in private network - has nothing to do with routing.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 am

Anton Kochubey wrote:
If your VPN client software adds route for 0.0.0.0 through VPN gateway, you won't be able to reach networks not reachable from within VPN network from that machine.
You'll have to disable automatic route creation and add routes for private networks [resources] manually, or find out how to configure automatic route creation in a way that it won't route 0.0.0.0/0 via VPN.

Your pings resolve correct IP addresses because your DNS server is in private network - has nothing to do with routing.

Maybe there is some confusion but what I am saying in short is that when I connect to the VPN, I can't reach the internet any longer. That is not the case for me today as I type this on said VPN, on my old machine (not using a VM). If I connect to the VM, and then the VPN within the VM, I can't reach anything else (yet they respond to pings).

dwayne22
Gerbil

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 am

Maybe there is some confusion but what I am saying in short is that when I connect to the VPN, I can't reach the internet any longer. That is not the case for me today as I type this on said VPN, on my old machine (not using a VM). If I connect to the VM, and then the VPN within the VM, I can't reach anything else (yet they respond to pings).[/quote]

The similar thing happened with me also, when I have connected with VM, I try to Connect to The VPN Server but when I connect both of them individually everything works fine.
A Tech Geek