Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

zzz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wireless channel on auto

Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm struggling to find anything about this either within my own WAP (or other WAPs I've dealt with) but I'm not the best at Googling things like this and it's only now become a thing to be concerned of: if you don't specify a channel and set the WAP to auto, how often does it review the landscape and adjust which channel to use? I'm certain the immediate answer is 'all vendors do it differently' but there must be a 'most common', 'some only do it on reboot' and a few 'this brand usually does it x often'. Or I could be totally wrong and I'd love to know what to look for if it's staring me in the face on the settings page of a WAP, but at the same time I've dealt with a lot of 'says it does it, but it doesn't' anecdotal experience across many vendors, so that'd be something to note as well.

Just to frame the question a bit: I am not looking for best practices, I'm more concerned about how the WAPs I can't control operate rather than the ones I do control which is why I'm not asking about any specific brand.

If you choose to take the time to enlighten me with professional, personal or just anecdotal responses I very much appreciate it.

Takeshi7
Gerbil First Class

Re: Wireless channel on auto

Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 pm

My router always uses the same channel (I believe 14, but I can't remember.) if I set it to auto, even if every single neighbor is using the same channel. I always use the Wifi Analyzer app on my phone to find a free channel to switch it too. My last 2 routers have behaved this way. One was a Netgear N600, my current one is a Linksys EA8500.