Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

weird behavior

Tue May 22, 2018 11:46 am

I have a netgear n600 router connected to an at&t netgear modem and recently I am having odd behavior with the netgear n600 connecting to wireless devices. I can't get to the netgear web interface either for the router. I am unsure of what to do because I don't know much about network settings. I have tried connecting the router directly to a wired connection to my computer, but it won't connect to the internet that way either. It says unknown network. Another error I saw was an invalid IP address. Please help me.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: weird behavior

Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

also on a smart tv the router is showing up and showing as connected, but I can't connect to any of the apps which is weird.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 3:26 pm

anybody? WiFi settings isn't even showing up in my network center in windows 10

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Try resetting the router to factory defaults (there's typically a button to do this, check the user manual). Then follow the manufacturer's instructions for configuring it.

It is possible that the router is simply dead; Netgear's consumer products do not have the best reputation for reliability.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Tue May 22, 2018 6:07 pm

toki,

take this opportunity to educate yourself in some basics. people aren't responding because no one has the time to reteach this while at work. i mean this 100% politely even if it doesn't sound that way. Google "basic router setup" or start at smallnetbuilder.com
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Sounds like you have two devices both running DHCP servers and both using the same default gateway IP address, so they're fighting each other.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Sounds like you have two devices both running DHCP servers and both using the same default gateway IP address, so they're fighting each other.

Ahh... yes, that could be it. Mentally kicking myself for not thinking of that.

@toki - How exactly do you have the router connected to the modem? Which ports on each? Does the modem include its own router/AP? Is it your goal to route only wireless traffic through the Netgear, or all traffic?

You also implied that this is new behavior. How long was it working correctly, and what changed (if anything) since then?

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm

I have the main modem set up to be a bridge. I had to call att to help me set it up this way. It has been working this entire time until just recently. I only noticed it like last night. On the TV the wireless router shows up and connects to the tv, but none of the apps will work. On my printer I got a direct connect at first and now I keep getting a check to see if wireless light is blinking or solid message. It's solid, but isn't connecting for some reason.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 pm

It is possible the modem reverted to router mode (perhaps as the result of an automatic firmware upgrade).

Also, would still like to know which ports on the modem/router you have connected. And try resetting the router to default config and starting over.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm

I have the wired connection on port 1? I have the wireless on port 2? Like I said I am unsure of the network connections.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 22, 2018 8:52 pm

toki wrote:
I have the wired connection on port 1? I have the wireless on port 2? Like I said I am unsure of the network connections.

Not enough detail. Port 1 and 2 on which device? Please specify "port x on device a is connected to port y on device b", etc.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 9:10 pm

On the wired modem I have the ehternet going from computer to port 1. The router is on port 2 on that modem going into the internet on the router. In netgear genie everything is showing up as connected except for wifi connection for some reason. I had to try to look at that because I can't get onto routerlogin.net or com. I really don't understand this. It was working until just recently. None of my devices that connect to it are working like they should.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 pm

toki wrote:
On the wired modem I have the ehternet going from computer to port 1. The router is on port 2 on that modem going into the internet on the router. In netgear genie everything is showing up as connected except for wifi connection for some reason. I had to try to look at that because I can't get onto routerlogin.net or com. I really don't understand this. It was working until just recently. None of my devices that connect to it are working like they should.

Are you trying to access your router's config from the computer that is directly connected to the modem? I don't think that is going to work. Try connecting the computer to one of the LAN ports on the router instead.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 pm

Genie Media Servers along with my computer ID which is my main modem and NETGEAR DSL Router which should be the wireless under network in file explorer. The wireless is taking me to my main att page when it should be going to it's own WI which I can't get to load at all. Ok, after a few minutes the media server deal is the wireless and the other is my main modem. The media server isn't showing up in my network under file explorer anymore either.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

I am kind of wondering if Windows update had anything to do with this. I still haven't found a fix for it yet

Goty
Gerbil

Wed May 23, 2018 3:15 pm

If you had to put your router/modem in bridge mode in order to use your own router and now you're having connection issues and can't get to the router login page, it's likely that the modem isn't actually in bridge mode anymore. This should be fairly obvious upon inspection for most routers (the wifi activity light should be off if the modem is still in bridge mode.)