Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Steel, notfred

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Computer cannot connect to network

Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 pm

The service is through Spectrum, the router is a netgear. Chipset is a Dell wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n 2.4 gighz.

I've gotten my phone, my wife's phone, the smart TV, and the laptop all on the wireless network, but my desktop either does not see the network, or it sees it, and after I put in the code, fails to connect. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers (after lugging it to the damn router and plugging it in via ethernet cable).

Any suggestions past that?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Computer cannot connect to network

Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 am

Ooof. Is there some Dell software trying to handle the connection? I find those type of programs often cause more issues than they really solve. Also, is this a PCI/PCIe card? Maybe try reseating it just to be extra sure ("reseat" it regardless of what connection it has IMO).

In any case (and obvious this is not the first option), but it may be worth your time and money to upgrade that thing. Something with at least both 5GHz and 2.4GHz might be nice. A couple options below.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-Wirele ... 00HM0K61Y/ - USB
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Wi-Fi-Expre ... B00JNA337K - PCIe
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 6:00 am

Has it ever worked before? If so, what changed?

Do you have another wireless AP you can hook up to the network to see if it is a compatibility issue between the Dell and the Netgear? Also, sometimes updating the router/AP to the newest firmware will fix weird compatibility issues.

Beyond that, yeah I agree with the post above mine -- a new wireless card would be the next thing I would try.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 24, 2018 9:27 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Dell wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n 2.4 gighz

5GHz wireless has been around for a while, even on 802.11n. Are you sure that your router is also outputting a 2.4GHz band for your Dell to see? I just set up a new 802.11ac router for our house this week, so I freshly remember that the 2.4GHz and 5GHz broadcasts are completely separate networks that devices connect to. The cheapo $40 webcam we use for a baby monitor cannot detect the 5GHz wireless band.
The suggestions that DancinJack provided are fine as long as your router is 802.11ac. If not, you can get by with cheaper 802.11n wireless cards.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 10:48 am

I've never used the wifi on this before; at our last place the drop for the cable was right by the computer desk so I just used an ethernet cable.

The router is outputting a 2.4 ghz band.

I tried connecting a 5 ghz USB wirless adaptor and the computer didn't even seem to recognize that (borrowed it from my SIL).

I guess in the grand scheme of moving this isn't too high up on the PITA meter but jeez!

I
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am

Well, when WiFi fails, bring the cable to you with Powerline. I bought this kit for $20 and it's been working flawlessly for the past 9 months. Before that I had this 200Mbps kit that I bought for $20 back in Jan 2014 with nary an issue either. That 2014 one had one unit with coil whine that finally broke my sensitive ear's tolerance after 2.5 years.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 11:02 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I tried connecting a 5 ghz USB wirless adaptor and the computer didn't even seem to recognize that (borrowed it from my SIL).

As in, it didn't even prompt to install drivers? Nothing in Device Manager? That's seriously weird if so.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 24, 2018 12:14 pm

I had to reinstall Win10 on a co-workers' laptop this week. The internal WiFi chip is fried (cant turn it on) so I've got him using a Linksys USB WiFi dongle. When formatting, Win10 install didn't seem to notice that the internal WiFi wasn't working (I think Win10 sees the chip, but the chip is blind/deaf), and it also didn't care about the USB dongle. Ethernet wouldn't turn on, even after a restart (sometimes Ethernet gets hibernated). Even after I rebooted and re-plugged the Linksys dongle, it showed up in device manager, but Win10 made no effort to even install generic drivers for it so I had to use a different computer to download the driver pack off Linksys' website, transfer the contents to the laptop via USB and install the drivers manually in device manager......PITA.

TL;DR Check device manager for the USB Wifi dongle.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 pm

DPete27 wrote:
I had to reinstall Win10 on a co-workers' laptop this week. The internal WiFi chip is fried (cant turn it on) so I've got him using a Linksys USB WiFi dongle. When formatting, Win10 install didn't seem to notice that the internal WiFi wasn't working (I think Win10 sees the chip, but the chip is blind/deaf), and it also didn't care about the USB dongle. Ethernet wouldn't turn on, even after a restart (sometimes Ethernet gets hibernated). Even after I rebooted and re-plugged the Linksys dongle, it showed up in device manager, but Win10 made no effort to even install generic drivers for it so I had to use a different computer to download the driver pack off Linksys' website, transfer the contents to the laptop via USB and install the drivers manually in device manager......PITA.

TL;DR Check device manager for the USB Wifi dongle.

Yuck. That sounds almost like the "bad old days" of trying to get network/WiFi drivers working in Linux. Kinda lends support to my theory that all desktop and mobile OSes seem to be converging on a common level of suckiness.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 pm

It shows up as a generic PnP in my device manager, and it gives me the *ding* sounding alert, but there's not even a prompt to install drivers and it doesn't show up in my networking connections:? I may use the laptop and see if I can dig up the drivers for it and dump them on a flash drive...I hope I can find them, god alone knows how old/well supported this thing is.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 pm

DPete27 wrote:

Sounds like UEFI hook for the airplane mode switch might be garbling things? Many laptops have the WiFi+BT on a separate M.2/mPCIe card. If the laptop can be opened without too much fuss that's a good reason to find out...and pull the offending device, if you can.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 3:01 am

finally got something working; I hooked up via ethernet again, and managed to find updated drivers for the USB wifi adaptor on Netgear's site and that's working. My intergrated wifi for the desktop still isn't and I'm giving up on it at this point. I'll buy my SIL another adapter to replace this one.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 25, 2018 6:21 am

If you're out of options on the desktop's integrated WiFi, and you've tried everything sensible to do with hardware config, drivers and IP address - try netsh winsock reset as a last resort. It's an old Windows 10 bug that may have resurfaced.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 25, 2018 7:54 am

Is your PC that cannot connect running Windows 10 on a Microsoft Account?
If so, that may be problem.
I tried to share my files to my family with multiple computers, and the only one that cannot connect (Password incorrect) even though it is correct and connect to all the other computers in the house.
The only thing different about the one that cannot connect is Microsoft Account Windows 10.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm

ludi wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

Sounds like UEFI hook for the airplane mode switch might be garbling things? Many laptops have the WiFi+BT on a separate M.2/mPCIe card. If the laptop can be opened without too much fuss that's a good reason to find out...and pull the offending device, if you can.

Yeah, the first time I serviced it for him, I suggested a nano adapter like this since they're <$10 and it was the easiest out for me. He bought one, but it died (surprise surprise), which then led him to the current $40 USB stick which he doesn't like because it sticks out a lot further and he's worried it will break off. I wish I would've known he was considering the $40 USB stick because I definitely would've steered him toward replacing the internal card instead for the same price.

It does seem to be stuck in airplane mode, but I can't coerce it out of that mode for the life of me. That made me wary about replacing the internal card and having the same problem, hence the USB suggestion.