Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Steel, notfred

homankw
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need advice on home/consumer video conferencing

Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I don't know if this is the best place for this question, but I'm looking to get some family a gift for doing video conferencing.

My parents love to video chat with their grandchildren alot, usually though apple facetime. And I would like to get them a high quality smart camera and audio unit to do this. It would be nice if it was 'software agnostic' where it can use Skype, Google hangout, and facetime through your average home internet connection. Any vendors out there making a product like this? Something I can attach to a separate display/TV/Monitor?

Thanks,
Keith

mmp121
Gerbil

Re: Need advice on home/consumer video conferencing

Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm

Since I'm on Android, If I want a larger version of my screen (with audio) on a bigger screen, I just mirror / cast whatever i'm using to my TV using my nVidia Shield.

I'm sure you can achieve the same thing for your parents with an Apple TV so they can mirror the small screen on a big screen. I don't know if the audio also gets routed to the TV like it does on my android.

Good luck with that!

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 31, 2018 1:33 pm

FaceTime on anything other an iOS/OSX devices is a no-go.

If you are looking for a stand alone easy to use device, I've been pretty impressed with the Amazon Echo Show. It's got a good picture and speakers, it's easy to use, and the voice calling features are nice. The drop in feature could be good or bad depending on your point of view. I haven't looked into the OS, but if it's FireOS, then there is a good chance it could be modded to run android apps.

DPete27
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 31, 2018 2:35 pm

FaceTime is Apple-device only. And very few iPhone owners [that I know] use anything except FaceTime for video (unless prompted otherwise). It could turn into a convenience thing, if Grams and Gramps are asking the kiddos to use something other than their default video software, the kiddos might not call as much.

They currently use FaceTime (on their phone?), so why isn't that working? Do they need/want a larger screen? Pretty sure Apple has an HDMI dongle for that. If you don't like wires, an AppleTV unit would be the choice.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu May 31, 2018 4:02 pm

How about buying a used iPad if you need the bigger screen. Or you can AirPlay it to an AppleTV. The downside to that is the camera is still on your iDevice. I hope at some point they will make a zoomable camera for the AppleTV and let us run FaceTime through a native appleTV app. If they do, I'll buy 2 immediately and a 3rd AppleTV for the in-laws.

homankw
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. Mainly I was hoping for a more 'organic' type of experience. As in, the grandparents would have a screen on the end of the kitchen table that's almost life size so they don't both have to huddle behind a phone or tablet. And if there were better features on the device like better audio, or maybe face recognition and camera auto focusing/movement based on that. Was curious to see what was out there. I suppose I could try some sort of 'casting' to a bigger screen in the interim.

Thanks all,
Keith

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:44 am

You’d probably need to step to up a business solution like Polycom.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:30 pm

If you want those kinds of webcam features then you should get a webcam, and a computer to fo along with it. I doubt such features will work on FaceTime, but it might with Skype. You’re clearly in desktop computer territory with your needs, though.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:57 am

Sounds like what you are looking for is a Telepresence setup, but they are so expensive that they are a commercial thing. When you are talking life size, you want something like a 60"-70" screen driven at least at 1080. Think about the cost of that including cameras and the connectivity required to stream that live.