Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Router hangs when desktop Lan connection in use.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 am

This issue has me bowled, i have no clue why my router hangs and drop internet connection as soon as i use my Home PC. I am currently using DLink DIR 816 router which receives internet directly from ISP's Beam (Wireless tower).

My home PC is connected via LAN connection from the router and there are "NO" other devices connecting the router via LAN, mobile phones connect via Wifi.
I was able to point out my PC because i could surf internet whole day without any issues on wifi until i booted my PC. Once the PC was on Netflix after 10 minutes or so router hanged and dropped internet connection. Restarting the router does solve the problem but it hangs randomly within an hour.

I have updated realtek LAN driver of my motherboard (MSI Z87 G43) and updated the firmware of the router but still getting random hangs and internet drops.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

PS: I am currently using Windows 10 and other system Specs are in my signature.

EDIT: 1: I had also connected my PC directly to my ISP line even the tower device hanged, dropping internet and needed a reboot to start working again.
Last edited by Jigar on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Re: Router hangs when desktop Lan connection in use.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:22 am

How hot is the router getting? Is it dusty? If you point a fan at it does the problem take longer to show up?

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
How hot is the router getting? Is it dusty? If you point a fan at it does the problem take longer to show up?

Router is clean and doesn't get hot at all, infact its in Air-conditioned room. I will however try to point a fan at it see if it changes the situation.

I am also currently looking for a Lan card to check if my motherboard Lan chipset is the culprit.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:05 am

Have you tired switching to another LAN port on the router to rule out a connection issue on a particular port.

wizardz
Gerbil

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:05 am

i would go in the direction that Duct Tape is mentioning. make sure its properly cooled.

its also a good idea to try another wired computer. nothing is impossible.

i've seen "routers" go about their day until you start putting a little bit more stress than day to day browsing (aka netflix).
hell, my ISP provided device would reboot as soon as i would begin to approach ~50mbps.

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 am

Does it only hang when it's passing through lots of data (like Netflix), or will it hang regardless when the hard-wired PC is on?

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:26 am

Aether wrote:
Have you tired switching to another LAN port on the router to rule out a connection issue on a particular port.

No, i have not done that. I will try it today.

Aether wrote:
Does it only hang when it's passing through lots of data (like Netflix), or will it hang regardless when the hard-wired PC is on?

No, it hangs even while doing normal browsing on desktop PC.

wizardz wrote:
i would go in the direction that Duct Tape is mentioning. make sure its properly cooled.

its also a good idea to try another wired computer. nothing is impossible.

I will try to connect my laptop via LAN connection today to see if i can get the same results.

wizardz wrote:
i've seen "routers" go about their day until you start putting a little bit more stress than day to day browsing (aka netflix).
hell, my ISP provided device would reboot as soon as i would begin to approach ~50mbps.

I am on normal 6 mbps up and down line does that put stress on Router ?

PS: Thanks for the advice :)

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 am

Firmware up to date? (eeash I HATE updating firmware but sometimes....)

Have you tried a different cable?
It is not supposed to make a difference but did you get a crossover cable by mistake?
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 am

Aranarth wrote:
Firmware up to date? (eeash I HATE updating firmware but sometimes....)

Have you tried a different cable?
It is not supposed to make a difference but did you get a crossover cable by mistake?

I will check that as well, i have a spare cable with me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:36 am

Sounds like a defective router to me.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:18 am

just brew it! wrote:

I forgot to add, i did directly connect my PC to the ISP's line, even the tower's device was hanging and losing connection. So i am pretty sure router is not the culprit.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 am

Jigar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I forgot to add, i did directly connect my PC to the ISP's line, even the tower's device was hanging and losing connection. So i am pretty sure router is not the culprit.

Well that's really weird then; the symptoms are inconsistent. If it still happens with the router out of the picture, then that would point to an issue with your ISP's equipment. But then I wouldn't expect rebooting the router to help (when you're connected through the router).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

This is random, but is the LAN connection attempting to use a network feature the router doesn't handle too well, for example Jumbo Frames, and eventually bringing the router's CPU to a gagging halt?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am

Jigar wrote:

If you connect your laptop directly to the ISP line, does the connection fail?

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Jigar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Well that's really weird then; the symptoms are inconsistent. If it still happens with the router out of the picture, then that would point to an issue with your ISP's equipment. But then I wouldn't expect rebooting the router to help (when you're connected through the router).

Alright i had a spare wifi usb which i used in my desktop PC to connect the router and it hanged after 10 minutes. This is only happening when i am using Netflix, playing Dota2 didn't hang it.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Aether wrote:
Jigar wrote:

If you connect your laptop directly to the ISP line, does the connection fail?

I haven't tried that yet, but i am going to try that tomorrow, right now everything points the figures at my router. Ofcourse i will have to connect my Laptop directly to ISP line to be 100% sure that its just my router.

ludi wrote:
This is random, but is the LAN connection attempting to use a network feature the router doesn't handle too well, for example Jumbo Frames, and eventually bringing the router's CPU to a gagging halt?

I don't think so that's the problem, but i am going to check that as well. Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:34 pm

OK, now I am really confused. You said a few posts back that you were still having problems when you bypassed the router?

Jigar wrote:

Until we have consistent information about what you've actually tried, what worked, and what didn't work, it is going to be very hard to be of any assistance.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
OK, now I am really confused. You said a few posts back that you were still having problems when you bypassed the router?

Jigar wrote:

Until we have consistent information about what you've actually tried, what worked, and what didn't work, it is going to be very hard to be of any assistance.

True, i will go step by step and first check my ISP's device directly on my laptop. If incase the ISP"s device hangs then i will complain to them. If incase it doesn't than i will to borrow my friend's router to check if my router is the problem. I will keep you posted on this. Thanks :)