Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

readysetgo
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Testing for failing/deteriorating Wireless adapter

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 pm

I have the Lenovo Y50-70 with the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 wireless adapter. I replaced the wireless adapter within the last 2 years after the card died on me, and I fear I am seeing symptoms indicating the replacement adapter is about to go as well. The most obvious symptom for me is how a shutdown/restart fixes issues with browsing and/or streaming slowdown.

My question is : does anyone have a suggestion for diagnostic tools I could use to stress test the card to hopefully reproduce the slowdown issue. I am trying to get confirmation of my fears so I can replace the card before the 100% meltdown point.

~cheers!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Testing for failing/deteriorating Wireless adapter

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:51 pm

It sounds like overheating to me.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:04 pm

The AC7260 has had a few issues, although it could just be a dying card if the position in the chassis has it running hot.

You can try some of the suggestions here for modifying drivers and settings:
http://www.troublefixers.org/laptops/fi ... ws-10/679/

But you may just end up needing to replace it again. Fortunately they're not that expensive.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 pm

If there's reason to believe it might be failing, and assuming access to the card is easy enough, just get a new one and see if replacement helps instead of spending time trying to analyze the problem.

It's $5 here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254252214408

Worst case you'll have ruled out a NIC hardware problem + have a spare. :)

readysetgo
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Guys, thanks so much. Between the three of your responses/suggestions, I think I have it.

1) Diagnosis: my laptop runs hot (known issue with this model) and as the temperature rises with the approach of summer months, my laptop's average temp is rising as well. Cue my wireless issues

2) I will order a replacement card to be on the safe side

Time to bust out the fan again. A thorough pass with compressed air would probably be a good idea as well.

~cheers folks.
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." Author unknown