Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Comcast Injecting Popups About Modem

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:35 pm

I recently upgraded my Comcast service from 25mbit to 150mbit. My modem is an old SB6120 4/2 model from 2010, and only seems to be able to manage 140mbit down. Whatever. 10mbit off the top is nothing. My buddy recently gave me a Netgear 32/8 model anyhow, which I'll install when I dang well get around to it.

The problem is Comcast constantly harassing me about the situation. I get several emails each week, multiple physical letters in the mail, and now this...

Somehow Comcast is randomly injecting this popup on me, both on iOS Safari, and now in W10 Chrome, and defeating content blockers on both of them. Can someone more knowledgable than myself tell me how they're managing to do this? Just as important, how do I slam the door on it?
Last edited by The Egg on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSpy

Re: Comcast Injecting Popups About Modem

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am

They are doing javascript injection on the pages headed to your ip address. As far as I know, there really isn't a way around it. TLS-encrypted pages are immune to injection, but I don't think there's a way to stop it on normal unencrypted pages.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

The Egg
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:47 am

SuperSpy wrote:
They are doing javascript injection on the pages headed to your ip address. As far as I know, there really isn't a way around it. TLS-encrypted pages are immune to injection, but I don't think there's a way to stop it on normal unencrypted pages.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what they're doing. Quite unnerving, and were it not for them already heavily nagging me via other methods, I might have suspected malware. Calling and ragging on a CSR isn't likely to accomplish much, so maybe it's just time to start looking at VPNs.

"Unwanted man-in-the-middle (MITM) code insertion now happens in Xfinity connected homes, as well – a stark reminder that such an attack vector exists. Simply put, this is a centralized vulnerability that could be easily exploited by law enforcement or other nefarious actors."
Yep

LostCat

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:57 am

The Egg wrote:
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what they're doing. Quite unnerving, and were it not for them already heavily nagging me via other methods, I might have suspected malware. Calling and ragging on a CSR isn't likely to accomplish much, so maybe it's just time to start looking at VPNs.

Spending money either way. A modem switch (especially if you've already got one) is likely a lot simpler solution.
Meow.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 am

You can get a comcast email account and they will spam that instead of injecting popups. :D

Or... you can redirect your efforts to installing the new modem, and get 180Mbps down and 25Mbps up all day long. You won't be fighting your neighbors for bandwidth on the same 4 channels anymore (having 32 to choose from), especially if you give them your old modem.

Not sure why I get 25Mbps up when I do the speed tests, the plan says you should only get 10 (+20%). Don't tell anyone...

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 am

roncat wrote:
Not sure why I get 25Mbps up when I do the speed tests, the plan says you should only get 10 (+20%). Don't tell anyone...

Occasionally, incompetence on the part of a service provider actually works in your favor!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Topic Author

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:11 am

roncat wrote:
You can get a comcast email account and they will spam that instead of injecting popups. :D

Or... you can redirect your efforts to installing the new modem, and get 180Mbps down and 25Mbps up all day long. You won't be fighting your neighbors for bandwidth on the same 4 channels anymore (having 32 to choose from), especially if you give them your old modem.

No....that doesn't stop anything. They're already spamming via email, plus regular snail mail, probably phonecalls soon, and, if I don't change the modem by next week, I expect to get out of the shower and see a message written in the steam on the mirror. I don't know what the deal is with them and the g- d- modem, but the javascript injection is over-the-top and uncalled for.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:29 am

I had heard that they pull crap like this, but have not experienced it myself (yet).

If you're willing to pay the extra for business class they will leave you alone, and you also get much more responsive customer service when things go wrong. (One of my co-workers has Comcast business class and has been reasonably happy with it.)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:30 am

roncat wrote:

Perhaps you can get them to screw that up for me too! I'm stuck at 12 Mbps up and they literally won't sell me more bandwidth regardless of cost.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:35 am

Some of the Comcast plans run faster than advertised if you don't have congestion in the area, and in the case of the 10 plan getting 25, you may have been upgraded and not noticed the announcement email. We originally subscribed at 25mbps but then Comcast made improvements in the area a few months later, and upgraded our plan to 50 and then 60mbps with no price change. At every speed tier, I typically get about 5-10mb more than nominal when I run a speed test.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:46 am

Has anyone ever pwned one of these ISP JS injectors?

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:08 pm

ludi wrote:
Some of the Comcast plans run faster than advertised if you don't have congestion in the area, and in the case of the 10 plan getting 25, you may have been upgraded and not noticed the announcement email. We originally subscribed at 25mbps but then Comcast made improvements in the area a few months later, and upgraded our plan to 50 and then 60mbps with no price change. At every speed tier, I typically get about 5-10mb more than nominal when I run a speed test.

Sure, but that generally doesn't hold true for upload speeds. I've got 250/10 and routinely get about 20% over that...but no amount of money will make them bump my upload bandwidth. :/

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm

Well, no, you have to purchase Business Class if you want fast uploads.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

ludi wrote:
Well, no, you have to purchase Business Class if you want fast uploads.

I've attempted that, they appear to be reluctant to sell me a "business" line for personal use. I didn't think that broke any rules, but apparently the rep I got in touch with thought differently.

I'll try again in a few months. :P

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Quick question - could it be that they're redirecting some DNS records to their ad service? have you tried using 1.1.1.1, or any of the Google DNS servers? worth a shot...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:01 pm

The cable weasels have been at it again.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -data-cap/
Comcast admitted its wrongdoing after a customer stepped forward and told Ars Technica that even with his modem unplugged overnight, Comcast had recorded 40GB of data use.

Honestly, Comcast's customer service is much better now than it was a decade or more ago, but they're still prone to lapses.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 am

Could be a lot worse. My Comcast residential service is way more reliable (and faster!) than the internet service at my workplace.

Believe it or not, the workaround for many of the office internet screwups is to disconnect from the internal network, connect to the guest WiFi, and VPN back in to the internal network. Frikkin' ridiculous.