Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Actiontec Router Won't Connect

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:13 am

I had a power outage last night and now my Actiontec GT784WN won't connect to the internet. I'm on AT&T DSL. The original router that came with the service works, but it's super laggy. Does anyone have any ideas? I've restarted the router from the back, unplugged, replugged, turned the computer off and tried restarting that way. Any help would be appreciated.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Actiontec Router Won't Connect

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:21 am

Sounds like the outage may have been accompanied by a power surge which damaged the router. Was the original router always laggy? If not, then the ISP's upstream equipment also may have been affected.

When you say you "restarted the router from the back" do you mean just a physical reset, or do you mean you followed the procedure to reset it to factory settings?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:28 am

just brew it! wrote:
Sounds like the outage may have been accompanied by a power surge which damaged the router. Was the original router always laggy? If not, then the ISP's upstream equipment also may have been affected.

When you say you "restarted the router from the back" do you mean just a physical reset, or do you mean you followed the procedure to reset it to factory settings?
physical reset. I'm really hoping it didn't screw up this router. The original router would be slow and get stuck while surfing the net. I called AT&T. They said the router is broken, we'll sell you a new one. I didn't want to do that for the price they wanted to charge so I got the actiontec, hoping it would be better. There's not a lot of choices for DSL routers these days.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:34 am

My preference and recommendation is to separate the router from the modem. You have alot more choices for separates and you can also take advantage of the latest technology on the router without waiting for it to trickle down to the combo modem/routers.
(Actually, I separate the modem, router, and access point into 3 devices, but at least separating into 2 is better than an all-in-one)

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:34 am

As the next step I'd try resetting to factory settings, then set it up again. But my guess is that the router got fried somehow.

Was there a storm in the area when you had the power outage? Back when I had DSL, the DSL modem got fried during a thunderstorm on two occasions.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
As the next step I'd try resetting to factory settings, then set it up again. But my guess is that the router got fried somehow.

Was there a storm in the area when you had the power outage? Back when I had DSL, the DSL modem got fried during a thunderstorm on two occasions.
I woke about 1 in the morning and all the power was out. I walked outside and didn't really see or feel anything that should have done all of this. It was just a little windy and that was it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:33 am

toki wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I woke about 1 in the morning and all the power was out. I walked outside and didn't really see or feel anything that should have done all of this. It was just a little windy and that was it.

Above ground power lines in your area? Lines getting whacked around or damaged by trees can cause all sorts of nasty stuff.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:13 pm

I get it back on. The factory reset did the trick. The power just went out not too long ago and it didn't do this. My computer, on the other hand, is a different story. I had to reboot a few times before it was back to normal. I have a Sennheiser headpiece connected by USB that wouldn't read correctly in device manager until I rebooted a few times. Thank you for the help everybody

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Sounds like the power cut corrupted the router's internal config somehow. :roll:

Glad you got it working!