Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

xfish
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

GNS3 - gathering requirements for building a dedicated home server

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I have decided to build / obtain home server to use as dedicated GNS3 machine. I have been reading some GNS articles about recommended specs and maximum nodes per single server, but haven't found a thread that would specify some solid "must have" requirements for larger topologies 30+ devices.

So far I have been using IOUs to practice CCNA R&S and Security skills in small segments, but I would like to try to consolidate all that I know into one big topology with 3-4 "data centers" that would be based on different routing protocols, using different load balancers, firewalls etc. and then to try to create some sort of ISP core to support inter-dc traffic. My main issue is that running many IOU images is already eating up RAM, but when I add Qemu images....well....RAM == null, e.g. vASA is taking 2Gb of RAM and I am afraid to check Nexus, Checkpoint or Fortigate. So far the CPU was not the problem, but I guess that's because I hit RAM cap first.

So here comes the questions : what kind of spec should be dedicated server have to allow me to build something with let's say 60 nodes running simultaneously?
1. How many cores should CPU have and what would be the minimal frequency?
2. How much RAM would I need?
3. Would 500GB HDD suffice, or should I look to SSD?
4. I am going to run it on Linux as it supports KVM - is there any suggested distro for GNS3? (heard about Ubuntu based distros such as Mint Linux)

On a side note - do you think this is overkill and I should stick to smaller topologies?
For context I am planning to go for CCNP R&S and then for Security next (after February when new cert path comes on + I need to made up my mind if I want to stay in networks / security due to rather visible gap in financial department between Net&Sec versus cloud or programming opportunites - I am young, so picking IT path for good is my current headache.

If you have any suggestion related to recommended setup (may be smaller than 60 nodes, you guys know better than I what will work best) please let me know.

Thank you for your time and advice.
Have a good one!

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: GNS3 - gathering requirements for building a dedicated home server

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm

I don't have real answers, but can't you just upgrade hardware as needed?

Get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots, use one, add more later as needed. Start with a cheap CPU, upgrade when needed.