Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sharing non public folders on a home network

Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:59 pm

I want to put my desktop (win7) and laptop (win10) in a network, but I cannot access any other folder other than the default public one. I would like to be able to access other folders as well, through the network. How can I make other folders accessible? I tried tampering with the share options in Properties, but, even though I set the folders I want as shared, whenever I want to access them, I get the message "You do not have the permission to access \\-PC\... Contact your network administrator to request access". I am the network administrator, so what on Earth does Windows want me to do?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Sharing non public folders on a home network

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:22 am

You need share permissions and NTFS permissions to match in order for the folders to be available. BTW, don't use that Share with certain people one, I never got that to work. Use the Advanced Share options.

Also, I assume you are in workgroup mode. The easiest is to make sure you have the same user name and password on both computers.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:41 am

Flying Fox wrote:
You need share permissions and NTFS permissions to match in order for the folders to be available. BTW, don't use that Share with certain people one, I never got that to work. Use the Advanced Share options.

I tried matching share and NTFS permission, but the folders I want to share are still not available. Could you give more details?

Also, I assume you are in workgroup mode. The easiest is to make sure you have the same user name and password on both computers.

I am not using passwords on any computer.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:56 am

Noldor wrote:
I am not using passwords on any computer.

That may very well be your issue. IIRC newer versions of Windows will block network access to "no password" accounts in certain situations. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with Windows 10 can confirm/refute.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:12 am

Noldor wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

I tried matching share and NTFS permission, but the folders I want to share are still not available. Could you give more details?

Which permissions are you trying to grant, on both computers? Is the problem both Win7 to Win10 and Win10 to Win7?

You mentioned you are "network admin", what does that even mean since I assume the computers are joined to the same domain? Or are you in workgroup mode? If the latter, double check the workgroup is configured the same across the 2 computers.

Edit: this may help.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.