Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Darryl07
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Share VPN over Wi-Fi on Windows

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:05 am

Hi,

I need to share my WiFi from a Windows machine. My goal is to be able to use my Windows PC as a wireless WiFi hub with VPN capabilities. Need to use external USB wireless adapter, the PC doesn't have buildt in WiFi network card. Trying to follow this receipe on how to share a VPN connection over Wi-Fi but get the following message:

The USB wireless adapter is an ASUS USB-AC56. I'm not able to find anything relevant in the documentation, so I'm unsure if I need to troubleshoot the ASUS or Windows.
Any suggestions?

denj
Gerbil In Training

Re: Share VPN over Wi-Fi on Windows

Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 am

I faced with similar issue. I'll try again later

Yan
Gerbil XP

Thu May 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Steam has a free program called Omnify Hotspot that apparently does what you want.

oporhatch
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 pm

May not be worth anything - however I had a similar issue when I was trying get my chromecast not to see my network location.
I eventually presumed (which maynot be true) the error was because the laptop had a built in hotspot function.
Therefore I just ended connecting my chromecast to the laptop hotspot function to get around my issue.

If this info is not worth anything ...by all means throw it away !!!!!

Ronmcdon
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:24 am

What about Cyberghost VPN? This is good VPN for torrenting?

Rickbale
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:15 am

Step 1: Check on available networks

Make sure you have a wireless device running, such as a built in interface or an external USB wireless adapter. Also the respective device needs to support hosted networks. To check on the latter do as follows:

Press the 'Windows' button on your keyboard and type in 'cmd'.
Right click on the result list entry called 'Command Prompt' and choose the entry 'Run as administrator'
In the command prompt window type in netsh wlan show drivers and press 'Enter'. Depending on the result do the following:
If the generated output says 'No wireless interface found' or similar you don't have a built in Wi-Fi card or haven't inserted your USB wireless adapter yet. Insert a card or an external adapter and repeat the test.
If it shows 'Hosted network supported: No' your device doesn't apply to the minimum system requirements. Add a compatible card or adapter and repeat the test.
If it shows 'Hosted network supported: Yes' you can continue with step 2.

Step 2: Create and start a wireless hosted network

Think about how to name your shared network and what password you want people to enter when connecting to your connection: The SSID is the name your wireless network can be identified with, while the SSID key is the pass phrase (with at least 8 characters) you want users to type in.

To specify the credentials enter this command in the Command prompt window:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=YourSSID key=YourPassphrase

Please add your own SSID and key and press 'Enter'.

Step 3: Start CyberGhost

Now start CyberGhost, choose a profile and establish a connection.

Step 4: Share your VPN Internet connection via the hosted network

After creating and starting your hosted network and establishing a CyberGhost connection you need to bind the VPN connection to the hosted network and make it accessible to wireless capable devices. For that you use the 'Internet Connection Sharing' feature of the Windows 10 host system.

Step 5: Connect devices to your hosted network

Now that your hosted network is created, activated and ready to be shared hand over the credentials to those you want to share your CyberGhost connection with and tell them to do the following:

Search for new networks on the respective device.
Tap on the Wi-Fi network with the name given by you, in this example it's 'SSIDvpn'.
Enter the password given to this network, in this example it's 'SSIDvpnxxx'.
Tap on 'Connect'.

Regards,
Rick Bale