Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

epicsmokey
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Can’t use consoles on apartment network

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:27 pm

Hello all, I am at a complete end of the road right now and have no idea how else to fix my issue, so I came here.
;

Some background: I am a college student living in an apartment with one other person. I have almost the same router type that I had last year and everything worked fine then, but this year it is not. We both have an ethernet cable connected to the router for our computers, but we each have a gaming console(ps4, xbox one) and they can almost never connect without strict NAT. We have tried all the simple youtube fixes and have called our apartments ISP who gave us tips to do things we had already tried.

This is a problem only with consoles. Our computers and phones work perfectly fine.

Router last year: Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ Dual band
Router this year: Linksys AC1750 Dual band Gigabit router

So far we have tried:

* Enabled UPnP
* Port Forward the console
* Disable internet filters
* Restart/Factory Reset router
* Use both wifi or ethernet for console
* Put the console into DMZ
* When we called the ISP, they made our network a public network
* Attempted to plug xbox one directly into wall. Could not get connection
* We called the ISP again and they said there was nothing else they could do to help

None of these have fixed the problem. The xbox one says Double strict NAT type, and both the ps4 and xbox one can connect to the internet and see friends online etc, but can not connect to games or online services within a game. This has been a problem since the start of August and we have no idea what else to do.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Can’t use consoles on apartment network

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Double NAT means there's a NATing device upstream. If you're in student accomodation, this might be provided by the building, I guess.

Put your Linksys device into AP mode or bridge mode.

(You don't look to have put the actual model number of the Linksys into your post, you might get better responses if you could find it and do so. It's probably on the bottom or back.)
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

epicsmokey
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Topinio wrote:
Double NAT means there's a NATing device upstream. If you're in student accomodation, this might be provided by the building, I guess.

Put your Linksys device into AP mode or bridge mode.

(You don't look to have put the actual model number of the Linksys into your post, you might get better responses if you could find it and do so. It's probably on the bottom or back.)

We have put it into bridge mode before which resulted in us not having any connection at all. We had to factory reset it to get it back to router mode. When we went to the router page in bridge mode we were taken to the ISP site to login there, and there was nothing there to mess with to try to fix

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 am

I'm not familiar with console connectivity requirements, but assuming you need incoming connections...

Check if your ISP is putting your behind NAT (CGNAT):
Is the WAN IP address shown in your router status page the same as the one facing the internet?

Or, can you use IPv6?

The topic might fit better in the gaming subforum, but anyway not much activity here or there...

evelinchamplin034
Gerbil In Training

Sat May 08, 2021 12:59 pm

Oh wow, that sure is frustrating and that would have made me so frustrated if that was ever the case. Anyway, seeing that this post was posted last year, I do hope that you were already able to fix this issue and were already able to have fun. i think that is really interesting and relieving upon having it fixed. My console is also something I really love and would definitely take with me if ever I live in another place. Mind sharing the ways on how you were able to make it work? That would be very very helpful.