Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

bigjohn888jb
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

wireless access for outer buildings

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:59 am

Hi,

I’m trying to extend my WIFI to a metal trailer about 50 yards from my home network. Ideally the access points should be weather resistant. I’d also like to have WIFI access by the pool which is also about 50 yards away, but about 160 degrees in another direction. Would a mesh network be a possibility? I tried a Netgear Nighthawk, but the signal was pretty weak getting through the metal exterior of the trailer. Or something like a Netgear Orbi if the signal can get through the metal.

Also, the trailer is on top of a hill, while the pool is below the house, down a hill.

Looking for suggestions.
Thanks,

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: wireless access for outer buildings

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:41 am

bigjohn888jb wrote:
Hi,

I’m trying to extend my WIFI to a metal trailer about 50 yards from my home network. Ideally the access points should be weather resistant. I’d also like to have WIFI access by the pool which is also about 50 yards away, but about 160 degrees in another direction. Would a mesh network be a possibility? I tried a Netgear Nighthawk, but the signal was pretty weak getting through the metal exterior of the trailer. Or something like a Netgear Orbi if the signal can get through the metal.

Also, the trailer is on top of a hill, while the pool is below the house, down a hill.

Looking for suggestions.
Thanks,

TBH I would look at a powerline adapters, and just plug in an access point at each location.