Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

USB Wireless

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:10 am

I just got a laptop from work for the next few months. I want to put it to folding use but I also want to be able to move it around without having a network cable to unplug.

I already have a Netgear wireless Router WiFi-B. I know that they sell those little USB keychain sized things for access. They are exactly the right size and if they work well I hink I will pick one up.

My questions are...

Does anyone have experience with these things?
What kind of range is there? I live in a small apt, never farther than 30ft from the router. Will that far be fine?
Do I have to get a Netgear one? Or will any brand work as long as it conforms to the WiFi standard of B?

Any other help would be great. Since it is a work machine I dont want to buy anything that I would have to open the machine to put in.

ZooTech
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:17 am

How 'bout this?

Here's one that's much slower, but much cheaper too (you're using "b" anyway).
Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant
like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:06 pm

I've used the Linksys WUSB11 USB adapters before with a wireless system. The nice thing about the USB is you have the ability to place the antenna far better than you can with a PC Card or PCI solution. With USB 2.0 adapters available nowadays, the USB part of the system isn't as big of a bottleneck as it used to be ;)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse