Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

freddylee
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

PC to PC Internet sharing share with u all and Q&A

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:51 am

Actually I already fix my computer internet sharing but just needed to share with u all and have some not understand part want to asking all expert friend here.

1) connected 2 PC together and Internet connection sharing (peer to peer)
2) Use USB ADSL Modem
3) Both Windows XP Pro
4) Streamyx 384K line

actually my main pc (connect to internet) I view my LAN connection (TCP/IP) why it will auto set for me the IP address and subnet and gateway blank? and not using DHCP? who can tell me why? thanks

Despite
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:40 pm

?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:22 pm

Despite wrote:
?

OK, good. I thought it was just me.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:40 pm

? ? I'm with you guys :o ? ?

Could you repeat the question, but this time in English please?

liar
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:06 pm

I had to read it three times to *find* questions...it looks like maybe he had problems, but got it operational...now he wants to know why it will auto set the IP address, but the subnet and gateway entries remain blank,and apparently not using DHCP (when he views his LAN connection (TCP/IP)) ...I think this is maybe what he is asking....maybe..
Sancte Isidore, ora pro nobis!
Caveat lector.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:20 pm

I think he may be using the best English he can -- it sounds like it isn't his native language, so we may have to cut him some slack.

I don't use ICS, and from what I've seen it has a lot of problems. I'd highly recommend getting a proper router/switch with NAT, especially given how cheap they are. Of course you'd probably need a different DSL modem too (one that has an ethernet out, rather than USB).

But, getting back to what we think might be the original question:
I think when you're using ICS the second machine just piggy-backs off the machine that's directly connected -- DHCP isn't involved so it doesn't show up. Obivously there has to be something like NAT going on for the second machine to be able to do things that require an IP address, but that's buried in ICS.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:23 pm

OK, with the translations I get the question now. Do an ipconfig, see what it says the subnet and gateway are.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:42 am

There are a few things to check here.

Step 1: First of all, can you access the internet with the PC directly connected to the DSL modem? Try to ping a site (start -> run -> "cmd" then type "ping http://www.google.com"). If you're getting packets back this means that you are correctly resolving names and your primary computer has the correct ip address information including subnet, dns servers and router.

Once that's working and ICS is enabled on that computer, go to step two.

Step 2: Now, the second computer must be able to access the first computer. Open up the command window as before (start -> run -> "cmd") and type "ping 192.168.0.1". This should return some results -- if it doesn't, there is a problem! Are the lights on your network card (behind your computer) lighting up? What kind of set up are you using? If you're not using a switch of any kind then you're going to need a crossover cable.

Connectivity working between those hosts? Let's finish this up:

Step 3: Leave the cmd window open from step 2 and type "ping http://www.google.com". If the pings are coming back, you're golden. Use the intarweb at will! If this doesn't work, however, something is definitely wrong. Set your IP address manually following this:

IP address: 192.168.0.2 (2 is symbolic here--if you have more than two increment it)
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Now, set your DNS servers to match the ones your ICS server uses. If your ISP didn't get you any documentation, go back to your ICS server, open a cmd window and type: "ipconfig /all". The DNS servers should be listed there. Enter those on the client computer.

Now, your access should work. If it doesn't, try following the ICS setup wizard for the server computer and then the network setup wizard for the client computer. Tell it you wish to connect through another computer.

freddylee
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thanks LJ I got it.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:11 am

:lol: Thanks LJ I got it already because I did not set my main pc (connected with modem) IP 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 so that's why my client pc can not point to DHCP server through my main pc. now everything is ok already really thanks :wink:

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Re: Thanks LJ I got it.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:19 am

freddylee wrote:
:lol: Thanks LJ I got it already because I did not set my main pc (connected with modem) IP 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 so that's why my client pc can not point to DHCP server through my main pc. now everything is ok already really thanks :wink:

np, glad it worked out.

freddylee
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

another small problem

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:05 am

it's ADSL modem with build-in router Provided by Telekom through another own DI-714P+(Broadband Wireless 22Mbps Router + 4UTP) Router will have Internet connection problem? bcoz my friend some have a connection problem...mean that sometime can go Internet sometime can not it's router conflict? sorry to disturb u all again...