Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

setting up home network for DLNA/NAS/Video stream

Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:17 am

Hi Team,

I was plan to setup an NAS and i need to cope out with my audio device which able to support this DLNA( will investigate further on WIki)

and this NAS will store all my picture /video /other stuf and it again with it purpose of sharing of those content with people who authorise to connect on the LAN.

Most of my pc is equip with at least a Wireless N USB adapter or build in wireless N adaptop(laptop).

My existing D-Link615 router i dont believe it was enough to provide this kind of network infra , any recommendation for this kind of home network ?

Did i need a switch for this ? although most of my gadget was running in wireless except the TV(DLNA) / Pioneer receiver (DLNA) ,which might require a wired solution ?

EV42TMAN
Gerbil

Re: setting up home network for DLNA/NAS/Video stream

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 am

the easiest way in my opinion would be to set up a windows home server. there other linux options but some of the configuration to set up what you want to do takes a lot of effort
MCP MCDST MCSA MCTS MCITP
A+ Net+
Intel Core i7-950 Intel DX58SO Mobo 6GB Corsair XMS3 Tri-Channel BFG Geforce 260 GTX
2x 160GB Seagate HDs RAID 0 2x 500GB WD RE3 HDs RAID 0
Built 40K+ systems and still counting

Xaser04
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:26 am

Any decent NAS "box" should be able to do what you provide. The Windows Home Server (2011) suggestion is also a good one but I don't have any on hand experience of this.

To give you a quick idea my "home server" setup is a Buffalo Linkstation Duo hooked up to a *temporary* Philips router incorporating a 4 port Fast Ethernet Switch.

My Laptop and desktop can then connect wirelessly or via Ethernet and stream video / music or access files as if it was another folder on the computer. My PS3 can also see the NAS as a DLNA compliant media server and can act as a DLNA compliant media player (as long as your videos are encoded in a "readable" format).

As a basic setup using a NAS you would have something like this:

NAS - holding your media / files which you wish to share > Mirrored backup of important files (either schedule or Ad Hoc)
>
Wireless router w/ switch or seperate switch (there are many options here - choose which is best for your setup)
>
>
Latop connecting wirelessly
>
>
Desktop connecting via homeplugs / Ethernet
>
>
Any other DLNA/uPNP compliant device connecting either wirelessly or via ethernet.

Whether your devices connect wirelessly or via ethernet will be up to your specific setup / requirements. Ethernet will be much faster (especially if it is Gigabit) but wireless N should suffice for normal media streaming (Non HD).

A Windows home server would work in a very similar way to the NAS box but can be more flexible depending on your usage requirements. It can be more difficult to setup but there are plenty of guides / youtube videos out there to help you should you get stuck.
BF3 / Origin: Xaser04

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:40 am

Xaser04 wrote:
Any decent NAS "box" should be able to do what you provide. The Windows Home Server (2011) suggestion is also a good one but I don't have any on hand experience of this.

To give you a quick idea my "home server" setup is a Buffalo Linkstation Duo hooked up to a *temporary* Philips router incorporating a 4 port Fast Ethernet Switch.

My Laptop and desktop can then connect wirelessly or via Ethernet and stream video / music or access files as if it was another folder on the computer. My PS3 can also see the NAS as a DLNA compliant media server and can act as a DLNA compliant media player (as long as your videos are encoded in a "readable" format).

As a basic setup using a NAS you would have something like this:

NAS - holding your media / files which you wish to share > Mirrored backup of important files (either schedule or Ad Hoc)
>
Wireless router w/ switch or seperate switch (there are many options here - choose which is best for your setup)
>
>
Latop connecting wirelessly
>
>
Desktop connecting via homeplugs / Ethernet
>
>
Any other DLNA/uPNP compliant device connecting either wirelessly or via ethernet.

Whether your devices connect wirelessly or via ethernet will be up to your specific setup / requirements. Ethernet will be much faster (especially if it is Gigabit) but wireless N should suffice for normal media streaming (Non HD).

A Windows home server would work in a very similar way to the NAS box but can be more flexible depending on your usage requirements. It can be more difficult to setup but there are plenty of guides / youtube videos out there to help you should you get stuck.

this i just got strike that NAS can be a DLNA server...great , i am going to setup one so that everyone can hook up and listen to it..