Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Steel, notfred

jmc2
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Is this Throttling? (verizon)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:48 pm

I've noticed that I can view web page all day long and my verizon connection
stays on "broadband" 50-70K (cell connection).

But if I play "DnD Online" I frequently am dropped to "national access" 10-15K. (jerky play)
Verizon states that they do NOT throttle.
The tricky bit is that if I shut down the game client I wll see my connection automatically
jump back to "broadband" within 3 seconds!

I sometimes also will disconnect/reconnect to verizon to try to clean up the connection.
Now if the "national access" connection gets so bad that I lose the game server connection
it will take 10-15 seconds to disconnect from Verizon instead of the usual 3-4 seconds.

It just seems to me that verizon is really choking off my game connections.

My network graph shows that I seen to lose the game server connection just after
I send a lot more data then I am receiving. (climbing packet loss then no server)

Thoughts welcome,
jmc2

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Is this Throttling? (verizon)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but I noticed some squirrelly behavior on the business trip I just returned from. We have a shared Verizon 3G modem here in the office that people take on trips. Web surfing seemed normal, but when I tried to use a remote desktop connection back in to the office or transfer large files, the connection would slow way down, or even "seize up" completely for ~30 seconds at a time.

Definitely seemed like they were doing some sort of throttling to me...
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

jmc2
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Is this Throttling? (verizon)

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 am

That is what I am thinking. That certain usage patterns trigger a slow down in the connection.

I don't know much about networking but If I repeatedly get my "broadband" connection speeds back
in 3 seconds JUST by closing my online game client program.
I certainly feel like I've been throttled down.

Thanks for the thoughts!
jmc2