Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Internet/ISP issues and changing DNS

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:45 am

It is really hard to troubleshoot without the information that you removed from the output of ipconfig /all. Can you at least tell us the beginning parts of the addresses in there?

Without addresses here is my read of the output:
Windows IP Configuration - Standard top level stuff

PPP Adapter NET - OK this matches running a PPPoE connection directly on Windows rather than having a broadband router doing it. It has IPv6 and Link-local IPv6 so you have IPv6 connectivity. Depending on what the IPv4 address shows then there may be IPv4 connectivity as well.

Tunnel adapter isatap - This is worrying to me. ISATAP is a means of getting IPv6 working when you are on an IPv4 network, but you have IPv6 direct connectivity according to the output of PPP Adapter NET.

Tunnel adapter - Again worrying as you have direct connectivity but this seems to be the preferred IPv6 network. I'm wondering if this is a tunnel to a VPN or something else? Or is this how Windows does ISATAP?

Can you try checking your connectivity by going to http://test-ipv6.com and see if it reports 10/10 for both IPv4 and IPv6?

With IPv6 and tunnels I'm wondering if you are having issues with MTU/MSS and it eventually starts working once PMTUD completes. http://test-ipv6.com will test for this as well as DNS connectivity.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 am

Ahh, looks like one of our resident networking experts is here to save the day! :D

(I'm pretty good with IPv4 stuff, but clueless on anything involving IPv6... guess I should try to remedy that.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 am

IPv6 isn't too much different from IPv4 until you get in to the corner cases, and I'm still learning those. Easiest way to get familiar with IPv6 if your ISP doesn't provide it is to setup a tunnel. I had one from http://tunnelbroker.net/ that worked well, but now my new ISP (Teksavvy) has native IPv6.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 am

I tested and it seems i have both ipv4 and ipv6 and in the IP config it says something something about tunneling so i suppose it's an ipv4 network with ISATAP (sorry if i'm confusing something, feel free to correct me).

But, last night i tried one last time to reinstall flash. Long story short, i haven't gotten another youtube error since but i feel like it's still too early to say it's fixed. For the flash player uninstall i used an official uninstaller from their website then, accordinng to their directions, i manually deleted some files from C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
%appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player.

Then i reinstalled flash player and now i'm using the 32 bit version of IE9, till last night i was using the 64 bit version. Will have to see how it goes, i don't want to have high hopes and then have them crushed, i'll just see how it goes for a week. If everything checks out i'll post here and ask for the thread to be closed. Sorry to waste you're time on the youtube thingy, the DNS part was very helpfull though. Thank you all.

Edit:
Since i changed DNS i noticed a slight bump in speed as well:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2257909665.png

Edit 2:
I just switched to open DNS for both ip versions and the grade for ipv6 is 9/10 instead of 10/10 with google DNS. Something to worry about?
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6
bad (0.649s)

This is a test of your ISP's resolver (instead of a test of your host). If this test passes, your DNS server (often run by your ISP) is capable of reaching IPV6-only DNS authoritative servers on the Internet. This is not critical (at this time) for you to reach sites via IPv6.

Seems to me openDNS is not that ready yet for IPv6
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:28 am

Update
I spoke too soon, it happened again, although it happens less often now......so now i'm thinking it's actually the flash player's fault. Man this is so annoying.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 am

1) As you have IPv6 run http://test-ipv6.com/ to check your IPv4 and IPv6 are properly connected and handling MTUs correctly.

2) Run the ICSI Netalyzr http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

These 2 together will tell you if your DNS and Internet link are all good, if they are then you know the problem is with the Flash Player and not something else.

pm99
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:33 pm

you can do that... but without a registered account, you wouldn't get all their filters customization, reporting, custom messaging, threats etc..