End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
omitting it is user hostile.

Good riddance to outdated tech.

just brew it! wrote:
Touchbar adds cost for no good reason, for something I won't use, and is just one more thing to fail.

It makes way more sense that a bunch of static buttons.

just brew it! wrote:
I find even the older MBP keyboards pretty infuriating. I plug a standard USB keyboard into my work MBP unless I am working on the bus/train on my way to/from the office, or in a meeting.

Enough said.

just brew it! wrote:
Don't even get me started on the Apple Magic mouse. Yuck. The only "magic" is in the form of a curse, if you ask me.

Who the **** uses a mouse with a MBP? The trackpad is amazeballs.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:05 am

I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I refuse to upgrade my 2015 rMBP until they stop doing things that legitimately make my computing experience worse. The touchbar is stupid. I don't know how else to say it. There just is no real reason for it to be there. And the "new" keyboard? it's completely awful, even compared to the older chiclets. At least I can compromise and use the older keyboard though. The new one is gross.

By the way, my current phone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack and I rail against them for it too. It's a stupid move that they shouldn't be making yet. Apple at least offers a few products that can compensate for the removal, and only streams AAC (this is a comment only about consistency and lack thereof in Android world, not that AAC is zomg the best), but it's still an intentionally hostile move to consumers for Apple's benefit.

I will continue to advocate for Apple (and whomever else) when they do good things. I will also continue to deride them when they do stupid ****. If you want to consider that jumping on a bandwagon so be it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 am

End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I find even the older MBP keyboards pretty infuriating. I plug a standard USB keyboard into my work MBP unless I am working on the bus/train on my way to/from the office, or in a meeting.

Enough said.

just brew it! wrote:
Don't even get me started on the Apple Magic mouse. Yuck. The only "magic" is in the form of a curse, if you ask me.

Who the **** uses the trackpad in combination with an external keyboard? Ridiculously awkward. While I agree the trackpad is nice, it is useless to me because of the keyboard.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 am

End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Touchbar adds cost for no good reason, for something I won't use, and is just one more thing to fail.

It makes way more sense that a bunch of static buttons.

A row of custom program shortcut keys is an obsolete tech. DOS programs sometimes came with a giant overlay for the F-key row 30 years ago. Now Apple has made the overlay to be a customizable touchscreen strip. Same flawed and inconsistently applied tech, but with more bling. Way to be obsolete, Apple.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 am

Now, you can't say DancinJack is a total Apple hater. Early December I'd mentioned something of my lust for the MBP on Twitter and his response was that for the most part he loved his (keyboard and Touch Bar aside). I got the base Touch Bar model (more about not buying a Haswell CPU in 2018 than anything else) shortly before the semester started. He was right in that the keyboard isn't great, but I'm used to it.

I disagree on the Touch Bar, though, because I find it useful from time to time. Even if it's just Chrome adding a button to type a URL without having to touch the mouse, at least I don't have to remember what F-key it is.

End User wrote:

And yes, I'm using a mouse even with that ginormous trackpad. There's such a thing as preference, you know.

Anyway, lay off the dude. You can like products without liking every decision a company makes.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:32 am

I will admit, I use a mouse only when my rMBP is hooked up to an external monitor. I use the trackpad otherwise. They are very much the best trackpads in the business. No argument from me there.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

End User

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
End User wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Enough said.

just brew it! wrote:

Who the **** uses the trackpad in combination with an external keyboard? Ridiculously awkward. While I agree the trackpad is nice, it is useless to me because of the keyboard.

Who the heck uses an external keyboard with a MBP?

End User

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm using a mouse even with that ginormous trackpad.

UGH!

AND IT’S WIRED!

I’M DYING HERE!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:51 pm

/shrug emoji
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 pm

For my laptop, I prefer the MX Anywhere Mouse, with its amazing darkfield sensor technology. The new version is rechargeable, while mine is the older version that runs for months on a pair of AA batteries.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 pm

End User wrote:

Anyone who dislikes the MBP keyboard, and works at a desk for most of the day. That would include me, two of my closest co-workers, and quite a few other people throughout the R&D organization.

I also like my keyboard to be centered in front of the display I'm using, and when I'm at my desk the MBP is jacked into a large 4K display; so the MBP display, keyboard, and trackpad are off to the side.

I realize that as a card-carrying member of the Cult of Apple, you've been conditioned to believe that any use case that doesn't align perfectly with Apple's vision of How Things Are Supposed To Be is proof that You're Using It Wrong; but for the rest of us that rationalization just doesn't wash.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
For my laptop, I prefer the MX Anywhere Mouse, with its amazing darkfield sensor technology. The new version is rechargeable, while mine is the older version that runs for months on a pair of AA batteries.

I have a Logitech M535 in my backpack that I use when I go to class. Not that color, though, geez. Anyway, my little desk is set up specifically so that all I have to do is bag up the laptop and run. Got a USB-C hub with power delivery and all the peripherals (well, the wired mouse and my Time Machine volume) are plugged into that. The wireless mouse and charger live in my backpack.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Does the scroll wheel have clicky detents or is it a smooth scroller?

That mouse looks like it would be ideal for my work PC, but I use AutoCAD now and then and a wheel with detents is mandatory.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am

End User wrote:

People who don't want carpal tunnel and neck sprain?

JBI wrote:
I also like my keyboard to be centered in front of the display I'm using, and when I'm at my desk the MBP is jacked into a large 4K display; so the MBP display, keyboard, and trackpad are off to the side.

As does OSHA. To the point where your employer is legally obligated to provide you one.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 am

just brew it! wrote:
End User wrote:

Anyone who dislikes the MBP keyboard, and works at a desk for most of the day. That would include me, two of my closest co-workers, and quite a few other people throughout the R&D organization.

I realize that as a card-carrying member of the Cult of Apple, you've been conditioned to believe that any use case that doesn't align perfectly with Apple's vision of How Things Are Supposed To Be is proof that You're Using It Wrong; but for the rest of us that rationalization just doesn't wash.

I agree. My MBPro sits in a Rain Designs mStand all day long (unless I'm taking it to a meeting), connected to two other monitors. I use a full wired keyboard and the Magic Trackpad, which is IMHO fantastic. It supports all the gestures of the built-in trackpad, but sits beside my keyboard. I vastly prefer it over a mouse.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 am

ludi wrote:
Does the scroll wheel have clicky detents or is it a smooth scroller?

That mouse looks like it would be ideal for my work PC, but I use AutoCAD now and then and a wheel with detents is mandatory.

Logitech wrote:
Features:
Hyperfast scrolling
Press down on the wheel to switch between two scrolling modes: hyperfast and click-to-click.

MX Anywhere 2S Scrolling - In hyperfast mode you’ll fly through documents and web pages with a single spin. Click-to-click scrolling ratchets the wheel, giving you the precision you need for navigating lists, slides, and images.

Logitech Options - Install Logitech Options to optimize the scrolling experience.

Enable smooth scrolling
Switch scrolling direction
Adjust scrolling speed (Mac only)

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/produ ... ng-started

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Buub wrote:
I agree. My MBPro sits in a Rain Designs mStand all day long (unless I'm taking it to a meeting), connected to two other monitors. I use a full wired keyboard and the Magic Trackpad, which is IMHO fantastic. It supports all the gestures of the built-in trackpad, but sits beside my keyboard. I vastly prefer it over a mouse.

Of course you do.

You, JBI, and I all live on a planet called "Earth".

I'm still not sure where End User originates, but it ain't nothing like here.

---

Remember: End User previously argued that developers on MBP using MacOS was "odd", so just like then, he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about whatsoever but can't refrain from making utterly asinine absolutist statements about the subject.

It's not "fish out of water" funny, it's a vaguely annoying nonsense like "fish out of fish"

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm

DancinJack wrote:
ludi wrote:
Does the scroll wheel have clicky detents or is it a smooth scroller? That mouse looks like it would be ideal for my work PC, but I use AutoCAD now and then and a wheel with detents is mandatory.
Logitech wrote:
Hyperfast scrolling: Press down on the wheel to switch between two scrolling modes: hyperfast and click-to-click.
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/produ ... ng-started
My older version has this same functionality. I normally like a clicky scroll wheel, but pushing down on the wheel switch toggles it between clicky and smooth.

Note that my Anywhere Mouse MX is about 3/4 scale compared to my MX518. I still find it very comfortable to use.

Of course, from inside the RDF, it's not as courageous as the Hockey Puck.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 pm

DancinJack wrote:
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/mx-anywhere-2s-flow/getting-started

Ah, now that is a nice mouse. May add that to next month's Amazon cart.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Glorious wrote:
You, JBI, and I all live on a planet called "Earth".
Remember: End User previously argued that developers on MBP using MacOS was "odd", so just like then, he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about whatsoever but can't refrain from making utterly asinine absolutist statements about the subject.

It's not "fish out of water" funny, it's a vaguely annoying nonsense like "fish out of fish"

LOL... I can't improve on that.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:

As does OSHA. To the point where your employer is legally obligated to provide you one.

Ahh, I did not realize this was a legal requirement. They actually did provide me with a detached keyboard (which I barely used, since I prefer my trusty ol' RK-9000).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:03 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Note that my Anywhere Mouse MX is about 3/4 scale compared to my MX518. I still find it very comfortable to use.

Have an MX518 at home, and I've been using M310s everywhere else. Great for travel and cheap to replace, but at my office desk I've noticed a bit of strain. The MX Anywhere looks to be right-sized for my hands.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 pm

JBI wrote:
Ahh, I did not realize this was a legal requirement. They actually did provide me with a detached keyboard (which I barely used, since I prefer my trusty ol' RK-9000).

It's one of those regulatory things where if they don't provide you with a suitably ergonomic working space you can can complain to OSHA and they can cite your employer.

So, while some dodgy employers might shrug and run the risk (which admittedly isn't huge, OSHA has limited resources but they do target employers that blatantly thumb safety guidelines), most of Corporate America has some sort of program to address this sort of issue, which is exactly what OSHA is really trying to accomplish: internalization of the controls.

In other words, if you contact H&R or, should you have one, a "safety" designate, they should be responsive to the claim "it's ridiculous for me to type at 45 degree two feet into my desk because you won't buy me a &#$#%@ keyboard". They're definitely not going to claim that YOU are doing it wrong, or that "who would want such a thing?". :wink:

Really, any employer should just pro-actively issue one with if you have a "docking" sort of setup. Beyond just OSHA, you have a very viable workers comp claim if you develop the related afflictions.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, they're pretty good about that kind of stuff here. Decent chairs and sit/stand desks too. I just wish the desk was a little bit larger; the 4K display basically takes up the whole thing!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Glorious wrote:
H&R

Humans and Resources? The tax prepareer? ;)

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:40 pm

derFunk wrote:
Humans and Resources? The tax prepareer?

Hahahahah

I didn't realize I did that, and I have no idea why I did.

wow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Glorious wrote:
derFunk wrote:
Humans and Resources? The tax prepareer?

Hahahahah

I didn't realize I did that, and I have no idea why I did.

wow.

...and I read it and didn't even notice.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Our eyes tend to see what we want them to see. It's all good. It just made me laugh.

whitzmusic
Gerbil In Training

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. I refuse to upgrade my 2015 rMBP until they stop doing things that legitimately make my computing experience worse. The touchbar is stupid. I don't know how else to say it. There just is no real reason for it to be there. And the "new" keyboard? it's completely awful, even compared to the older chiclets. At least I can compromise and use the older keyboard though. The new one is gross.

By the way, my current phone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack and I rail against them for it too. It's a stupid move that they shouldn't be making yet. Apple at least offers a few products that can compensate for the removal, and only streams AAC (this is a comment only about consistency and lack thereof in Android world, not that AAC is zomg the best), but it's still an intentionally hostile move to consumers for Apple's benefit.

I will continue to advocate for Apple (and whomever else) when they do good things. I will also continue to deride them when they do stupid ****. If you want to consider that jumping on a bandwagon so be it.

I have a 2015 MBP as well, and I've used the newest MBP very recently. Apart from the light weight, slimmer design and slimmer bezels, I hated almost every single thing compared to my existing MacBook. The keyboard is awful (little to no tactile feedback), there's not a single standard USB port (forcing users to carry adapters), and they've even removed the glowing Apple logo (not that it matters functionality wise, but still, I couldn't find any reason behind doing this).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Gawd, they made the keyboard even worse? I'm not even a fan of the 2015 MBP keyboard.