Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Re: Apple Music: The rage is real.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:49 am

Is it wrong that these days I just rip to high quality preset LAME-encoded VBR mp3s with 320kbps as the ceiling? I'm so rarely in a position to sit down with quality headphones and listen to music that it's just the most pragmatic choice for my typical earbuds or car stereo environments. If the opportunity arises to be absorbed in music, I'll break out the scotch and Sennheisers and find my old CD player, but that's pretty darn infrequent.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox firmware? :wink: (Yeah, kind of old-school... but I don't need to worry about any of the sort of crap you're bitching about...)

LOL, no old-school is kicking it with winamp with a P2-350MHZ desktop ;)
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 am

geekl33tgamer wrote:
Ok, so Apple Music launced here a few days ago and I thought I would give it a try. There's a free 90 trial, so why not. Now, I've been using iTunes to manage my extensive library for years (some 77GB of music) and sync selected playlists to my iPhone.
But since using Apple Music, I'm deeply frustrated with several issues I can't seem to overcome.

I could go on, but those are the main ones.

Please tell me there's a fix to syncing playlists locally like you've always been able to. I'm not paying out a lot of extra money in mobile data to stream my content over the air when it used to be saved locally no problem.

THERE IS INDEED A FIX

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WM-FX197-AM- ... B0007RPW3Q

DONE & DONE :D
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:05 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:
You can no longer sync playlists on your PC to the iPhone's internal storage anymore.

I just created a new playlist and added a few songs on my PC. On my iPhone the new playlist and songs appeared immediately (the songs are on the iPhone)

geekl33tgamer wrote:
It's impossible to tell what songs are saved on your PC, on the Phone or are totally in the cloud.

In iTunes on the PC a cloud symbol appears next to songs that are in the cloud and not local. On your iPhone a little iPhone icon appears when the song is on the device.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:45 pm

End User wrote:
geekl33tgamer wrote:
You can no longer sync playlists on your PC to the iPhone's internal storage anymore.

I just created a new playlist and added a few songs on my PC. On my iPhone the new playlist and songs appeared immediately (the songs are on the iPhone)

Then I guess that just doesn't work on Windows then: http://www.geekl33tgamer.co.uk/images/i ... enshot.jpg

My iPhone has no way to move files from the PC to the phones internal storage anymore. It used to be on that menu shown and there's no way to get it back. If I add songs to my library, they appear on the phone but get streamed from the cloud.

It's enough to make me want to ditch the phone to be fair. Sync of my own music should not be this hard.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Concupiscence wrote:
Is it wrong that these days I just rip to high quality preset LAME-encoded VBR mp3s with 320kbps as the ceiling? I'm so rarely in a position to sit down with quality headphones and listen to music that it's just the most pragmatic choice for my typical earbuds or car stereo environments. If the opportunity arises to be absorbed in music, I'll break out the scotch and Sennheisers and find my old CD player, but that's pretty darn infrequent.

For my Clip, I started looking for ways to compress into smaller files without losing too much sound quality. I started down-sampling at 32kHz when I realized I can't hear anything beyond 16kHz... Going with 192kbps VBR at 32kHz gives me pretty good-sounding MP3s and don't eat too much space.

End User

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:35 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:
End User wrote:
geekl33tgamer wrote:

Then I guess that just doesn't work on Windows then: http://www.geekl33tgamer.co.uk/images/i ... enshot.jpg

My iPhone has no way to move files from the PC to the phones internal storage anymore. It used to be on that menu shown and there's no way to get it back. If I add songs to my library, they appear on the phone but get streamed from the cloud.

It's enough to make me want to ditch the phone to be fair. Sync of my own music should not be this hard.

I'll check this out in Windows after work but it sounds as if your phone is not set to auto download.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks. Will be interesting to see if I get to the bottom of this issue. I'm defiantly not alone from my research on the matter, so I wonder how it works for you (unless it's OSX only feature) as it's defiantly nowhere to be found in my software now.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Ninjitsu
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:36 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I use MP3's

All of these subscription music services are awful, even Spotify.

Same. Some FLAC or WAV files but mostly MP3.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:57 am

geekl33tgamer wrote:
Thanks. Will be interesting to see if I get to the bottom of this issue. I'm defiantly not alone from my research on the matter, so I wonder how it works for you (unless it's OSX only feature) as it's defiantly nowhere to be found in my software now.

This definitely works on Windows for me, as I copied MP3s out of iTunes to my phone (via wired connection; haven't tried it via Wi-Fi).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Add me into the old guy crowd. Buy CD, Rip to FLAC using EAC with the ID3 tag option. Drag album folder from PC to Artist folder on nexus 6 and play using VLC for Android.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

End User

Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm

geekl33tgamer wrote:

I just bought a bunch of music on both my Windows rig and my Mac. While the just purchased music appears on my iPhone and my iPad it is not local. Automatic downloads is on on both the iPhone and iPad. This is a bug as far as I am concerned.

End User

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Philldoe wrote:
Add me into the old guy crowd. Buy CD, Rip to FLAC using EAC with the ID3 tag option. Drag album folder from PC to Artist folder on nexus 6 and play using VLC for Android.

You can do the same using VLC for iOS or ALAC via iTunes. I don't think phone hardware warrants the effort thought and I don't have a home audio system that does.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:51 pm

End User wrote:
geekl33tgamer wrote:

I just bought a bunch of music on both my Windows rig and my Mac. While the just purchased music appears on my iPhone and my iPad it is not local. Automatic downloads is on on both the iPhone and iPad. This is a bug as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for taking the time to look. I was beginning to think I was going to crazy town by not being able to get it to work.

Judging by all the threads at Apple, I would say they are aware. Hopefully there's a fix coming pretty quick.

Ninjitsu
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Philldoe wrote:

Try Poweramp on Android too, pretty good.

localhostrulez

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Hmm, I thought Spotify's recent UI changes were idiotic, but Apple Music is actually more annoying to use. Laggy, doesn't make as much sense, no quality settings that I could find, etc. Twice the RAM use (500MB vs 250MB, both more than should be necessary). And there's no student discount, unlike Spotify. Then again, it integrates with Siri. Meh.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:04 pm

NeelyCam wrote:
Concupiscence wrote:

For my Clip, I started looking for ways to compress into smaller files without losing too much sound quality. I started down-sampling at 32kHz when I realized I can't hear anything beyond 16kHz... Going with 192kbps VBR at 32kHz gives me pretty good-sounding MP3s and don't eat too much space.

IMO OGG sounds quite decent at lower bitrates. 160 (or even 140) kbps is plenty good enough for non-critical (i.e., at your computer, in your car, or through anything less than high-end headphones/speakers) listening. If you're down-sampling to 32 khz anyway you could probably drop the bit rate even further without causing much additional degradation.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:55 pm

iTunes update 12.2.1 for windows that rolled out today fixed the issue in my OP. Created a new one with WIFI sync being removed instead if you use Apple Music.

Apple giveth, Apple taketh away. :cry:

Mikael33
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Concupiscence wrote:

Nope, even 192K can be transparent depending the material. Btw my Sennheiser HD 485's are better at masking both lower quality encodes and all around production/mix issues than the (budget) studio monitors I use with my pc. Now if I just could afford to treat my room :cry:

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:58 pm

I won't invest in iTunes music. I prefer 7Digital, as they also offer high-quality FLAC files and their music is DRM-free. However, I have begun investing in the Apple ecosystem as far as T.V. Shows go. Doctor Who Season 9, just purchased the season pass tonight on iTunes. It isn't on Netflix and I'm getting tired of waiting a year for the episodes to show up on Netflix.