Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

the
Gerbil Elite

Re: SUPER MAC

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Glorious wrote:
the wrote:
The really big turn off is that some of Apple's remarks toward user complaints have not been encouraging. Due to poor sales, Apple killed of the rack mounted Xserve line half a decade ago with little resistance but Apple's recent rise in enterprise usage has had some user interested in seeing that line return.

Apple figured out that it was better to get into Corporations from the top-down instead of the bottom-up, to the degree they want to get into that market at all.

To be clear, instead of presenting themselves as a total solution with servers, services and corporate-oriented configurability for every user, they just position themselves as having the coolest and most desirable devices to certain users.

Why? Because when a top executive wants the newest iphone, guess what he gets even if the standard is blackberry and blackberry ONLY. Oh, right, he gets an iphone.

This isn't hypothetical, it's my Fortune 500 company and many others like it I've witnessed personally.

Why should Apple compete for the corporate space when by ignoring it entirely they get the best possible inroad to the premium users they might actually want?

Agreed and I've seen it first hand as well.

So why should Apple compete for the corporate space? I wouldn't even say compete as it is more the necessity of support. When the technology is able to trickle down from the executives to the average corporate end user it has to be managed some how. I see the Xserve ultimately staying dead with Apple's ultimate being just software solution. All they'd need to do is better integrate iOS and Macs into Microsoft's AD. iOS integration into LDAP could also be improved too.

The idea of the Xserve coming back has just been an idea bounced around old OS X Server admins who had to deal supporting the exec toys without their own shiny Apple rack mount toys.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
the wrote:
There are really only two reasons to go with Apple vs. hackintosh: ease of setup and warranty/support.

If you're throwing those two out the window, why bother? Picky hardware, hard setup, and no support describes lots of different alternative operating systems, and I don't have to resort to piracy to run them. Some of them are even better at being a Unix then OS X is.

Simple: price and performance. For the enthusiast who knows how to slap together some hardware and edit some files to get an OS to install, putting together a hackintosh is trivial. And unlike the other Unix-like systems, you can run major 3rd party applications which is kind of a big deal. That means access to tools like Final Cut Pro and Photoshop even though they wouldn't be supported.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
the wrote:
Due to poor sales, Apple killed of the rack mounted Xserve line half a decade ago with little resistance but Apple's recent rise in enterprise usage has had some user interested in seeing that line return.

Xserve is not coming back. You might have a point except Linux exists, and OS X integrates into Unix networks nicely. Linux and a couple of Dell servers will serve OS X users nicely. Apple has its niche as a consumer company, and they do that well.

The problem is that their consumer iOS devices are finding their way into the enterprise environment and those don't have good AD or LDAP integration. Long term I see this as a software problem Apple will eventually resolve via separate management software and an iOS update. The Xserve will remain dead as Apple has no motivation to get back into the enterprise hardware market even if some old timer admins would like it.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Tonybados
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:29 pm

No never trolling if i wanted to upgrade my mac tower can i do that? like PC or are macs just based on set sizes? BASICALLY can you rebuild a mac like the bionic man like a pc or not? Thanks everyone im not a troll. and i will look into linux too! :D smiley face not wink

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Tonybados wrote:
No never trolling if i wanted to upgrade my mac

In Min-2011, I bought a minimally configured Mac Mini with the fastest CPU available, minimal memory and a 512GB mechanical drive. I bought 8GB of after-market memory, a big (for the time) SSD and iFixit's kit to add a second drive. Compared to buying the "upgrades" from Apple, I saved a lot of money.

So, yes, (usually) upgrades are possible, and can be done at significantly less cost than Apple wants. But, to be successful, find someone (some web post/blog) that has actually upgraded exactly your machine and get exactly their parts. Even in my case, to upgrade the software from 10.[I forget] to 10.[second to last release], I had to undo my after market hardware changes (both the memory and the disk because the software refused to install), apply the software update, then reinstall the after-market hardware. And, I haven't bothered re-hacking OS X to get TRIM to work again. To upgrade to 10.[second to last release] to 10.[very latest], was no big problem, though I had to un-do, update, then re-do, the FileVault encryption to make it all 'happy'.

But, if you're talking about a choice between Hackintosh vs Linux. Abso-effing-lutely go with Linux.

Tonybados
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Just brew it, no one but me, whm1974, fod, DrDominodog51, MOSFET ,the, derFunkenstein, confusedpenguin, Flatland_Spider, Glorious, Redocbew Thankyoun all for your help this truly is amazing info you guys are building me up and im forever greatful im gonna try with the tower to Hacintosh, with the laptop either go for a hacintosh type or Via the mac website choosing most expensive options. Thank you once again, happy holidays. peace and love to you all. 8) :D

Tonybados
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 pm

MarkG509 Thanks man :D

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:13 pm

the wrote:
iOS integration into LDAP could also be improved too.

The problem is that their consumer iOS devices are finding their way into the enterprise environment and those don't have good AD or LDAP integration. Long term I see this as a software problem Apple will eventually resolve via separate management software and an iOS update.

Nothing in that category has good built in AD/LDAP support. It's up to the server to support AD or LDAP authentication, and generally the servers that need it do a good job. It fits with Apple's application-centric model on the iDevices, and it's really the best way for mobile devices.

Everything also has excellent support for Exchange, and that would be the separate management software you're looking for. iOS and Android are going to leverage the EAS protocol to do all of the provisioning of devices. By the way, there is Zimbra if you don't want to run Exchange.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Tonybados wrote:
happy holidays. peace and love to you all.

Amen, i.e., "+1".

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
The Mac mini is way underpowered and I consider AIOs to be a real dumb idea. Don't get me started on the "trash can" form factor of the new Mac Pro. I would prefer a standard tower, but as I have told been many times before, Apple doesn't want people like me for customers.

If you don't like their hardware, why would you want to *be* one of their customers? The feeling ought to be mutual (if it isn't already).

Perhaps apple's RDF is getting stronger-May the force be with you..................

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:10 pm

HERETIC wrote:
May the force be with you..................

Amen, i.e., "+1" :D

NoOne ButMe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:15 pm

whm1974 wrote:
We can build an Hackintosh much cheaper then that. And it will still be better then Apple's offerings.

Maybe if you're making a Mac mini equal. Or ignore the displays.
currently running: Clevo W230SD, i7-4710MQ, 1TB SSD, 960m, win10 Pro + 1 HP Pavilion 22XI monitor and sometimes a 1080p 32" Vizio TV.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:34 am

NoOne ButMe wrote:
Maybe if you're making a Mac mini equal. Or ignore the displays.

And the labor involved. Anyway...

I'd like to see the Mac Mini become just a Mac. Expand it a little bit, and base it off of the MBP guts. It would need just enough space for 1x 3.5" Fusion drive, 2x PCIe SSDs, and a MXM video card.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:35 am

I doubt that Tim Cook and other Apple execs read or for that matter even heard of sites such as this one.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:42 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
and a MXM video card.

Not that it'd be upgradeable, since Macs need cards with not just EFI ROMs, but Mac-specific EFI ROMs.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

the
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:01 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
and a MXM video card.

Not that it'd be upgradeable, since Macs need cards with not just EFI ROMs, but Mac-specific EFI ROMs.

I've run a GTX 770 and GTX 970 in my 2012 Mac Pro without Mac specific ROMs.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Hmm, I guess I stand corrected. Can you boot it with a 970 without drivers (i.e., after an OS update)? That's a sticking point on Hacks - can't boot Maxwell without special flags until you get Nvidia's web drivers installed.

So what's the point of this: http://www.macvidcards.com
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:55 pm

the wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
and a MXM video card.

I've run a GTX 770 and GTX 970 in my 2012 Mac Pro without Mac specific ROMs.

I was about to say, I think that was PowerPC specific, and the move to x86 fixed that. Actually having drivers is another matter.

the
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hmm, I guess I stand corrected. Can you boot it with a 970 without drivers (i.e., after an OS update)? That's a sticking point on Hacks - can't boot Maxwell without special flags until you get Nvidia's web drivers installed.

Hrm, I've always had the nVidia web driver installed when I had the GTX 970 installed. (My GTX 970 is currently in my i7 2600K box due to some LAN party gaming.)

The OS X 10.11 update did not like the nVidia webdriver I had installed and threw a warning about disabling it when it first booted up. I had the GTX 770 installed at the time and never lost my display.

I can't recall if I've upgraded to 10.11.2 yet. I can check when I get home and see if

derFunkenstein wrote:

That site reminds me of a group who were doing custom firmware for PowerPC video cards back in the day when custom ROMs actually were worth while.

As for why a group like that exists now, I have no idea. The cards I've used have booted up without issue and full acceleration provided they have a driver loaded. I will say that the cards I've been getting are eVGA models with an EFI switch on them.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah, the 770 works with the built-in drivers since it has a Kepler GPU. That's not the case with Maxwell. On Hackintosh systems the boot process stalls, at least on Yosemite. Depending on whether each web drivers is fora specific build, that might not be the case anymore—once you get the drivers installed, at least.

I quit the Hackintosh only because I have an Ivy Bridge-E Mac Pro on my desk because of work. No need anymore.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I can actually answer that because I have one of their GTX 780s. The purpose of those is that they're flashed so that the EFI can utilize the card, not just the OS. So, basically a Mac Pro using a non-flashed card doesn't show the gray boot screen, and you can't do things like choosing your disk before boot. Once the OS is loaded, the graphics pipeline starts working again.

Edit: Admittedly you probably don't care, and I just necroed the thread. Sorry

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:09 pm

It's just as well, because now is the first time I noticed this:

the wrote:
I will say that the cards I've been getting are eVGA models with an EFI switch on them.

eVGA made (maybe still makes?) Mac-compatible graphics cards in small quantities.

Ikepuska
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:33 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's just as well, because now is the first time I noticed this:

the wrote:
I will say that the cards I've been getting are eVGA models with an EFI switch on them.

eVGA made (maybe still makes?) Mac-compatible graphics cards in small quantities.

Macprovideocards primary clients seem to be the rendering houses in the LA and SoCal area, judging by their local pickup/delivery policies, and the EVGA cards are pricy, and quite limited in selection, and possibly lack the volume that these orgs are looking for. Ultimately it's a useful service for those who actually need it. My problem was that I'd removed my OS X install directory partition entirely and was running windows only with a GTX 465. But without the efi image and gray boot screen I couldn't reinstall OS X when I needed it. So I got the GTX 780 for about 200, I think? It wasn't from them but it was the same tech.

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:36 am

jamesmccc wrote:
I don't have super mac, but I upgraded to SSD and 8GB of RAM. What else can I do to make it more "super"?

Linux