Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Farewell to Mac OS X, Hello to new macOS

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Neowin wrote:
While iOS is exclusive to Apple's smartphones and tablets, OS X remains focused on the company's notebooks and desktop systems. Once known as 'Mac OS', and later 'Mac OS X', the latest major release of Apple's PC operating system is now up to version 10.11, known also as 'El Capitan'.

But it seems that Apple is preparing to ditch the OS X moniker in favor of new nomenclature to bring it in line with the operating systems for Apple TV (tvOS) and the Apple Watch (watchOS).

Documentation on the company's site, spotted by 9to5Mac, eschews the OS X branding in favor of the revised 'macOS' moniker.

It follows the recent discovery of identical references to 'macOS' in official info on Apple's site relating to OS X 10.11.4, which also identified newest Apple's operating system for notebooks and desktops as 'macOS'.

It seems that Apple is still planning to use the OS X branding for at least one further update - OS X 10.11.5 - but the new macOS branding could début as soon as the company's Worldwide Developer Conference this summer.

Source: Neowin
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Farewell to Mac OS X, Hello to new macOS

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:22 pm

kewl, I guess 8) -- so long as I still get a bash shell and all the UNIX (or GNU) toolchain, and can run Microsoft Office, I don't mind if it's called Mac OS, macOS, or $OS ...
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 pm

It's about time. Using a number in the OS name implies that they're somewhat related. There's only a vague familial resemblance between both the under-the-hood changes and the UI going from OS X 10.0 to OS X 10.11.4. As far as I'm concerned this branding change is about five years overdue.

Microsoft will figure this out when Windows 10 in 2025 has changed considerably from Windows 10 of 2015.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

alloyD
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Microsoft will figure this out when Windows 10 in 2025 has changed considerably from Windows 10 of 2015.

I agree. They'll probably wait until the installed base of older Windows versions is small enough that saying "Windows" is automatically assumed to be Windows 10, then they'll drop the "10."
"The danger lies not in the machine itself but in the user's failure to envision the full consequences of the instructions he gives to it." --Neil Stephenson

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:59 pm

The funny thing is, the X in OS X was really a reference to 10, because the original (non-Unix-derived) OS, called System, had reached version 9. The next version would have been 10, but since everything was changing with the adoption of NEXTStep / BSD underpinnings, and because traditionally Unix-derived OSes try to have at least one or two of U, N, I, or X in their names, they went with X.

So I guess Apple now has a tradition of renaming their OS once every 10 versions.

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Hey, at least Apple's decently consistent with naming.

I still remember pcmag talking about Windows 7 back in 2008 or so, noting how Vista's version number was NT6.0 (and they derived 7 from that), and how there were no brownie points for guessing 7's version number. Except that number turned out to be NT6.1, so...

Soon to be followed by 8 (NT6.2), 8.1 (6.3), and 10 (10, despite still having a Vista derived-kernel). Yeah, what happened to NT7,8,9 anyway? :roll:

End User

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:42 pm

biffzinker wrote:

Where were they in March?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:46 pm

End User wrote:
biffzinker wrote:

Where were they in March?

Neowin's source was 9to5Mac, and 9to5Mac did report on the rumored change. OS X 10.11.4 framework resource found with ‘macOS’ naming, fueling more speculation about an OS X rebranding
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:15 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
The funny thing is, the X in OS X was really a reference to 10, because the original (non-Unix-derived) OS, called System, had reached version 9. The next version would have been 10, but since everything was changing with the adoption of NEXTStep / BSD underpinnings, and because traditionally Unix-derived OSes try to have at least one or two of U, N, I, or X in their names, they went with X.

So I guess Apple now has a tradition of renaming their OS once every 10 versions.

Minor nit is that they were changing the name in 7.5.x (I only dug this up because I remember the 7.x systems in college had the Mac OS boot/splash screen): http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/macos753

By 8.0 it was definitely Mac OS 8. http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/macos80

Part of me wants to buy a Mac old enough to natively boot OS 9.2 out of nostalgia, but man that's a waste of money these days. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:

Minor nit is that they were changing the name in 7.5.x (I only dug this up because I remember the 7.x systems in college had the Mac OS boot/splash screen): http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/macos753

By 8.0 it was definitely Mac OS 8. http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/macos80

Part of me wants to buy a Mac old enough to natively boot OS 9.2 out of nostalgia, but man that's a waste of money these days. :lol:

SheepShaver "SheepShaver is capable of running Mac OS 7.5.2 through 9.0.4"

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:48 pm

I left out SheepShaver does binary translation from PowerPC 604 ISA to x86 ISA.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Yeah, I've messed with SheepShaver before, it just didn't feel the same. Probably because it didn't crash often enough. :lol:

edit: that ChubbyBuynny linked from Wikipedia works great on my Mac. It's an "unidentified developer" so I had to explicitly run it, but after that it fired right up and just worked. Nicely bundled emulator that through through network access and a spare disk to put stuff. Nice.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:05 pm

The last time I played with it I had a couple of crashes, most of the crashes were related to the ROM image used or something about launching Internet Explorer v4.0/4.5 would cause an instant crash.
Edit: I missed the punchline about the frequent crashing Mac OS is popular for. :oops:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:15 pm

At the height of my Classic Mac craze (in 2004 or so) I had a PowerMac 7600 with a G3 upgrade card, 512MB of memory, and a Voodoo2 running Mac OS 9.1. About all I did with it was play Unreal Tournament and Diablo II, though. :lol:

The Egg

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:30 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

While going for a jog about 12'ish years ago, I remember seeing a CRT-based iMac out with the trash, and grabbed it out of morbid curiosity. Whatever issue it had was fairly minor, and I got it going and upgraded to the last version of MacOS 9.

I'm not sure what I did with it after that, but it was good for some brief nostalgia. As I entered high school, they had just finished up outfitting a new PowerMac 5200 series lab, as well as 1-2 in every classroom. They tried to fit them into the curriculum, but for the most part they were buggy, unstable piles of crap. Everyone took keyboarding in the 286 lab (running WordPerfect 5.1 with a 386 server) because they couldn't be relied upon.

localhostrulez

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:00 pm

You know, speaking of the 90's: https://xkcd.com/768/

End User

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:13 pm

UberGerbil wrote:

Nope. Apple dropped the Mac in Mac OS X back in 2012. OS X only lasted from 2012 to 2016. MacOS from 2016 onward.

One could argue that Apple changes the name of their desktop OS every release.