Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Re: Apple's (lack of) Mac ambitions

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:16 am

End User wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Sad that people like you are saying things like this.

There some truth to that. The way Apple is going I wouldn't be surprised at all if they kill off the Mac Pro and MBP. The creative types who built Apple up will be forced to switch over to Windows or Linux.

Good grief.  No.

Due to a very recent life decision (I've decided to sell my abode which requires a shift to a minimalist footprint due to "staging" - something about too many computers and wires), I've switched to Windows 10 Pro as my only workstation (gaming). Oh my word does Windows 10 Pro suck compared to macOS. Apple at its worst is better than Windows (apart from gaming).

My experience across all these OS (Linux since the 90s, OS X and Win 10 Pro) is quite positive. I prefer OS X and Linux for work because I need to compile Unix programs, but I would never consider Win 10 to be unstable. It runs great and never crashes. Quite happy with it.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:10 am

It is simple because there's simply no big money in boutique PC market anymore. Acer, Dell, ASUS, Lenovo took all of the lion's share of the customer-tier PC market while professional PC market is dominated by Dell, HP and IBM. Apple has a smaller presence in both markets.

Apple's shareholders are following where the big money is and it is currently with ultra-portables and eGadgets.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 am

ptsant wrote:
My experience across all these OS (Linux since the 90s, OS X and Win 10 Pro) is quite positive. I prefer OS X and Linux for work because I need to compile Unix programs, but I would never consider Win 10 to be unstable. It runs great and never crashes. Quite happy with it.

I agree. I work across multiple OSes daily and never have an issue with stability, aside from one stubborn driver installer anyway. The day-to-day use is fine for my needs.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:32 am

ptsant wrote:
unstable

I never said it was unstable.

End User

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 am

HERETIC wrote:
In a galaxy far far away(before apple started making phones) apple took pride in being perfectionist-backed
up by their design teams and q/a.

What a load of complete crap. Your revisionist, and short sighted, "history" of Apple merely fulfills your own fake news narrative. Sad!

Apple's history is filled with terrible and ill advised products:

• Apple III
• Lisa
• PowerBook 5300
• Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh
• G4 Cube
• Flower pot iMac
• Urinal puck mouse
• iPod Hi-Fi

HERETIC wrote:
Kind of ironic that NOW 99.9% of their customer base is the DUMBed down facebook crowd.

That comes close to the 99.99% of the Windows and Android DUMBed down facebook crowd customer base. Due to a lack of a Facebook app on Windows Mobile there are no DUMBed down facebook crowd for that platform. Sad!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:44 am

I thought the G4 Cube and iMac G4 were cool-looking products. They didn't meet everyone's idea of a great computer, but they were neat. You can throw the TAM in that camp, too.

Also, that was back when Apple actually updated the Mac lineup frequently. There aren't any Mac designs to laugh at in recent years because there haven't been any Mac designs.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

End User

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:56 am

Krogoth wrote:
It is simple because there's simply no big money in boutique PC market anymore.

It is simple. There is big money in the PC industry and Apple is taking more than 60% of the PC industry profit:

With about $23 billion in revenues per year, Apple places among the top four PC vendors in terms of revenue.
With an estimated $5.5 billion in operating margin Apple is the most profitable PC vendor, capturing over 60% of the available PC hardware profits.

http://www.asymco.com/2016/11/02/wheref ... macintosh/

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:05 pm

End User wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
It is simple because there's simply no big money in boutique PC market anymore.

It is simple. There is big money in the PC industry and Apple is taking more than 60% of the PC industry profit:

With about $23 billion in revenues per year, Apple places among the top four PC vendors in terms of revenue.
With an estimated $5.5 billion in operating margin Apple is the most profitable PC vendor, capturing over 60% of the available PC hardware profits.

http://www.asymco.com/2016/11/02/wheref ... macintosh/

The overwhelming bulk of that revenue is coming from their ultra-portables, eGadgets and other misc stuff. Their "Desktop PC" division a.k.a Macs and Power Macs makes chump change by comparison. Apple's lack of attention these markets speaks volumes on why that division is no longer relevant to them. Those figures are misleading anyway. They are including devices that aren't considered to traditional PCs.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

End User

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:07 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
There aren't any Mac designs to laugh at in recent years because there haven't been any Mac designs.

This is nothing new. One only has to compare the Power Mac G5 (2006) to the Mac Pro (pre late 2013) to see that Apple has a history of long runs between core design changes. The same can be said for the Power Mac G4 line (1999-2004).

End User

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Krogoth wrote:
The overwhelming bulk of that revenue is coming from their ultra-portables, eGadgets and other misc stuff. Their "Desktop PC" division a.k.a Macs and Power Macs makes chump change by comparison. Apple's lack of attention these markets speaks volumes on why that division is no longer relevant to them. Those figures are misleading anyway. They are including devices that aren't considered to traditional PCs.

A "Mac" is a laptop or a desktop. The first sentence of the original post referred the MacBook Pro so it is clear we are talking about laptops when we refer to "Macs". I'm guessing that the bulk of "PC" sales are laptops.

That revenue is from the Mac division. The only thing misleading is your interpretation of the data.

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:56 am

End User wrote:
ptsant wrote:
unstable

OK, fair point. What is it that you don't like in Win 10? Performance? The UI? App and HW support?

End User

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:36 am

ptsant wrote:
End User wrote:
ptsant wrote:
unstable

OK, fair point. What is it that you don't like in Win 10? Performance? The UI? App and HW support?

• multiple desktops management
• windows management

Both are very clunky.

The mix of old/new UI throughout the OS is rather jarring.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:12 am

End User wrote:
ptsant wrote:
End User wrote:

• multiple desktops management
• windows management

Both are very clunky.

The mix of old/new UI throughout the OS is rather jarring.

I find the fact that Windows 10 finally supports and offers multiple virtual desktops at all a pleasant change. I like the Linux implementations I've been using for a decade now more, but that could just be a matter of familiarity. I don't have any issues with the window management, myself.

I absolutely agree about the old/new UI mess. It's dumbfounding to me that they shipped that to the public with this bizarre hodgepodge of system menus, with both overlapping and non-overlapping functionality (seriously, what is going on with Control Panel (old) and Settings (new)?). That it still hasn't been fixed in over a year, and a major update, is baffling.

End User

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:16 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I find the fact that Windows 10 finally supports and offers multiple virtual desktops at all a pleasant change.

I cried tears of joy the first time I heard it was a feature.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:57 pm

It's getting there. The new and old Control Panels overlap more and more, and I expect they'll finally remove the old one in 2025 or so. :lol: