Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Edited: Wi-Fi screws with LG 5K display

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:04 pm

The Apple-endorsed (probably Apple-sponsored) LG 5K monitor is susceptible to interference from Wi-Fi routers. Will Apple do the right thing and do refunds and take the product off their store? LG's solution is laughable to say the least. The user reviews are enlightening: the rest of the product also sucks. Tim's glad Apple put its stamp of approval on that one, I bet.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: LG 5K display screws with Wi-Fi

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Do companies do any sort of product testing before releasing on them in the market anymore? Something like this is real simple to check for considering how widespread Wi-Fi is.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:15 pm

LG needs to make displays in AMERICA! SAD!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The Apple-endorsed (probably Apple-sponsored) LG 5K monitor interferes with routers.  

To be accurate, routers interfere with it -- i.e. when a router is close to it the picture flickers as opposed to it blocking wi fi signal for other devices. 
Still a ludicrous problem to have, but at least only the person with money to burn is singed by the problem. Everybody else in the area gets to laugh at them  :D
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Title and OP are misleading. The issue appears to be that Wi-Fi screws with the display, not the other way around.

If it is susceptible to interference from WiFi, other sources of radio waves will probably affect it too. Cellphones, microwave ovens, other displays, etc...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Title and OP are misleading. The issue appears to be that Wi-Fi screws with the display, not the other way around.

If it is susceptible to interference from WiFi, other sources of radio waves will probably affect it too. Cellphones, microwave ovens, other displays, etc...

I'm struggling to imagine how this TV made it to production without EMI shielding. The LG response just makes it worse.

Wait a minute, isn't RF shielding a legal requirement for electronics sold in the US?
Last edited by Vhalidictes on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'm struggling to imagine how this TV made it to production without EMI shielding. The LG response just makes it worse.

"You're using it wrong!"

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Back in the early days of PC HDDs (late '80s) I dealt with some Maxtor drives that would malfunction (lots of read retries, resulting in massive performance slowdowns) if mounted too close to other internal components in a system.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: Edited: Wi-Fi screws with LG 5K display

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 pm

OK my bad, I got it backwards in my head. Edited the OP. It's still an embarrassment for both Apple and LG to not have noticed this sooner.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Wait a minute, isn't RF shielding a legal requirement for electronics sold in the US?

Only insofar as it is needed to prevent your device from causing interference. You're certainly free to sell something that is so susceptible to EMI that it crashes whenever someone uses their cellphone somewhere in the room (and it sounds like LG came close to this).

Putting RF shielding around the AP to prevent it from interfering with the display would kind of defeat the whole point of a Wi-Fi AP. :wink:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

"You're using it wrong!"

Apparently, all you have to do to upset the LG/Apple device is look at it wrong and it loses its composure.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Only insofar as it is needed to prevent your device from causing interference. You're certainly free to sell something that is so susceptible to EMI that it crashes whenever someone uses their cellphone somewhere in the room (and it sounds like LG came close to this).

Putting RF shielding around the AP to prevent it from interfering with the display would kind of defeat the whole point of a Wi-Fi AP. :wink:

Maybe don't put a Wi-Fi AP in a display to begin with?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:00 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Uh, they didn't. Did you even RTFA? There is no router in the monitor, and as long as there isn't a router nearby it's not a problem. But if there is a WiFi radio nearby...

TFA @ Techspot wrote:
According to 9to5Mac, the 27-inch version of the Ultrafine flickers when placed within two meters (6.5 feet) of a wireless router. Any closer causes the monitor to become completely unusable, and it can even freeze a connected MacBook Pro.

The publication contacted an LG support rep, who confirmed that the issue was due to the proximity of a wireless router. Writer Zac Hall was told to place his router “at least two meters away” from the monitor. LG said that only the 5K display suffered from the problem, so it seems the 21.5-inch 4K model isn’t affected.

Ars Technica notes that a key part of the monitor may not be correctly shielded from electromagnetic radiation, “and that part of the monitor is probably oscillating at a harmonic of Wi-Fi (2.4GHz or 5GHz) radiation.”

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: Edited: Wi-Fi screws with LG 5K display

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:16 pm

My router/AP sits on my desk. 2 meters is anywhere in the same room. No way this piece of trash would function in my office. Yeesh.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:01 am

whm1974 wrote:

Epic reading comprehension fail.