Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

litqueue
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Iphone logic board

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:03 am

This is more of a theoretical, rather than a practical, question: if the logic board is detached from the rest of the phone, is there --theoretically-- a way to access the information on the flash drive?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Iphone logic board

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:23 am

litqueue wrote:
This is more of a theoretical, rather than a practical, question: if the logic board is detached from the rest of the phone, is there --theoretically-- a way to access the information on the flash drive?

Ask the Israeli company that hacked the San Bernardino iPhone.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

litqueue
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:15 pm

Well it seems to me the problem itself is different-- I'm asking if there's any way to directly interface with the flash drive attached to the logic board. The issue w/ the san bernardino iphone, as I understand it, was that they had to bypass the PIN protection, which there was no way to do without dismantling the phone and potentially damaging the components. I just read an article that said a security researcher developed a method for forcing the iphone to disregard the number of attempts of PIN entry so that one could run through every possible permutation of a 4 digit PIN and crack it w/in 24 hours.

I'm assuming that, if you were able to somehow directly interface with the flash memory on the logic board, you wouldn't be prompted for a PIN. So the original question remains unsolved-- is it possible to directly interface with the flash memory of an iphone while it is physically detached from the phone itself, OR, alternatively, only attached to the [a] power source?

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Divorce might just take less effort. :lol:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Short answer is no, Apple encrypts data even in NAND.

Unless that data's yours and you can copy it to another iPhone running the same iOS version, boot it up and successfully sign into it with the correct credentials, what you have on that NAND is garbled data anyway, even if there was a way to get it off the NAND (and there isn't, short of de-soldering the BGA packages and transplanting them to another logic board).
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.