Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Apple WWDC keynote

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:35 pm

the wrote:
The problem for Apple is that cratered to the creative professionals but while they were asleep at the wheel, products like the Surface Studio have been released which has gotten a bit of a following now.

Dr. Freud, your 3 PM appointment is here (quote emphasis mine). :wink:
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:16 am

Um, Ned I don't get the reference. Is there a street definition of "cratered" that I haven't heard?

But the point is right. Apple has not rewarded MBP loyalists. As noted, they're still using 7 year old technology and not all of them will be able to justify the anemic offerings of 2017, so what do you do except for shut down the Mac and fire up the Windows machine that you bought in 2015 anyway?

I've heard about that. More creatives in companies are moving from Mac/MBP to Windows than the other way around. Apple should be taking this as a fire alarm, but instead they keep pushing the touch strip instead of an option for 64 GB ram.

The only thing I'm excited about is the improvements to the iPad; enough for me to consider buying one. But considering historical behavior, eventually Apple will stop updating that, too. Even though I'll buy the new iPad Pro, I'm pretty sure that in 10 years I'll be a Surface user. And so will all of you, because Mac will be acting like Sears/Kmart selling new emoticons and not much more. We'll all be avoiding it like the plague.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:11 pm

I think you're greatly overestimating how many Surface Studios are being sold. Or Surface family products in general.

Apple is still selling more Macs each year than the year prior, which is astounding given how bad their lineup was for a long time. My guess is they're selling a ton of $1299 MacBooks and MacBook Pros (the latter of which being a 2015 model up until Monday) and not much else.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm not too worried about the Surface vs iPad fight. They are awesome solutions, but most people I know have crap Android/Amazon tablets.

I still use my ancient Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablet every day, it works fine even for heavy web content. I *did* have to replace the factory battery recently, but that was only $20.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Not trying to derail the thread, but I have tried my best to fit a tablet into my life and I just can't. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. Between a Macbook Pro, Pixel XL, and my Windows 10 PC, I just can't find a reason to actually use one. FWIW, I'm not saying that they aren't useful in certain situations or that other workflows fit them in, but I have tried really hard to figure out how to fit one into mine and I just can't.

Having said all that, the new iPads are pretty sweet. If I were buying a tablet, I'd probably opt for the 10.5 incher.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Yeah, I could definitely see them being useful for certain things. Just not any of the things I use a computing device for. If it isn't something I can do easily on my smartphone it's generally because I need something with a real keyboard and/or more compute horsepower than a tablet is going to have.

I suppose I could write code on a tablet, and compile on remote servers. It would be an absolute last resort though, and I would not be anywhere near as productive.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:54 am

I have a cheapy win 10 tablet (~150 USD) I use for reading, watching videos and pretty much nothing else.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:29 am

Glorious wrote:
I have a cheapy win 10 tablet (~150 USD) I use for reading, watching videos and pretty much nothing else.

I suppose the fact that I have a somewhat larger smartphone (LG G4) reduces the attractiveness of having a dedicated device for those activities.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 am

I've owned tablets but they've never seen much use. Like Glorious, I have a cheapy Win10 tablet (Dell something-or-other with Bay Trail SoC running Windows 8.1) that's OK for reading stuff but not much else.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen