Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

iPhone6 battery replacement options?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:59 pm

My wife's iPhone6 (original, not 6S) is just over three years old and the battery is on its way out. YouTube tutorials suggest a replacement isn't too difficult for anyone who has previously disassembled mobile devices, which I have. But what is the best option for a battery and the required tools? I see kits on Amazon and eBay but the possibility of having a swelling battery on my hands (or more specifically, in her hands) isn't too comforting. Alternately, what local services (Denver metro) might I look for to have someone else do it same-day? $80 for the AppleCare option would be acceptable but not the shipping delay.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: iPhone6 battery replacement options?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to rant.

I find it really infuriating that everyone is switching to integrated batteries, when the typical cellphone use case necessitates frequent charging, which is really hard on the battery. My old "dumb" phone (which needed charging only once or twice a week) was still on its original battery after 5 years, and still had decent battery life. Oh well, at least my LG G4 has a removable battery.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 am

Looks like BatteriesPlus might be a local option. There is one just a couple miles away, my wife is going to stop by some afternoon this week and see if she can get a price and terms.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 am

ifixit.com has 69 parts listings for the iphone 6. First on the list is a replacement battery for $14.95 - $19.95.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 pm

That looks like a good buy. If it was my phone I'd pick up a kit right now.

We checked at BatteriesPlus and they're doing it for the same price as everyone else ($80), in about 30-45 minutes, with a 6-month warranty. Since this is my wife's phone, I figure the extra $60 is worth the peace of mind. If the battery suffers a crib-death while I'm on a business trip, she can have it taken care of the same day.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Conclusion to the saga: my wife just texted to say it was about $70 and done in 30 minutes. The local BatteriesPlus has a lot of good reviews on Yelp, they'll probably have another one soon.