Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

rona rosen1
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Poor HDMI port on 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:55 am

Yes, I am still using my 2012 MacBook. It works fine, but I've noticed over several months that the HDMI port is not holding HDMI cables very well. The port is soundly in the case. But when I attach a cable, it is loose and wiggly and the signal will get interrupted easily (like if a cat sits on the cable 3 feet from the Mac). Any suggestions for how to keep my HDMI connections? The main use lately has been as a streaming device and I much prefer using the TV as a screen. Thank you for any tips.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Poor HDMI port on 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:50 am

The HDMI cable should not be "loose and wiggly" at any point! Have you tried other cables to confirm that it's socket that's damaged and not the plugs on the cables? That would save you a lot of headaches.

There are two mechanisms to hold an HDMI cable in:

• The first is a couple of leaf-spings in the socket that push into the two indents/holes on the top of the HDMI plug. It sounds like these could be loose, worn or broken.
  • The second is the the HDMI socket design itself - the insertion depth is almost twice the socket height, meaning that there's a high level of alignment even with low-tolerance cables.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds to me as if the HDMI hole machined into the side of your macbook is still undamaged, but the actual female HDMI socket soldered onto the board is loose or damaged. You can replace these cheaply, but there's a high labour cost to resolder the new one if you're not experienced with macbook disassembly and electronics soldering. I'd get someone who's experienced with laptop repairs to take a look at it. They'll be able to spot a damaged socket without dismantling the laptop, most likely.

Feel free to take a high-resolution photo of the port using macro mode on your phone/camera and upload a link to it here, but loose ports are usually something that you have to "feel" or at least see the wiggling in motion to diagnose.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

rona rosen1
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Poor HDMI port on 2012 MacBook Pro Retina 15

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:47 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
[list][*]The first is a couple of leaf-spings in the socket that push into the two indents/holes on the top of the HDMI plug. It sounds like these could be loose, worn or broken.

Thanks Chrispy. I think this is the problem, I suspect that at some time the cat was entangled in the cable and yanked it out of the socket, messing up the springs. (I've tried this cable in the TV HDMI and it's nice and tight.) I don't know if it's really worth it to get it repaired, I'll have to get some estimates on that.