Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: The iPhone got forked!

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:58 am

ludi wrote:
just poking the two leading gushers to enjoy the twitching.

:P

End User
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 am

I wear Levi’s and my X actually fits width ways in my pocket. There was no way my 7 Plus could do that.

I don’t mind the smaller size of the X but I think Apple will offer a Plus size next year if the OLED supply situation gets better.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am

End User wrote:
I wear Levi’s and my X actually fits width ways in my pocket. There was no way my 7 Plus could do that.

I don’t mind the smaller size of the X but I think Apple will offer a Plus size next year if the OLED supply situation gets better.

While I think people get the point, this doesn't really mean anything. I'm not a big dude, also wear Levi's, and the 7 Plus fit in all my pockets just fine. I like the size of the X. The Plus was just ever so slightly too big. I think it's a good compromise in that it has more screen than the non-Plus models, but is smaller altogether than the Plus models.

I don't disagree on the two models though. It may not happen next year, but I do feel like they will offer two sizes of a future X type model.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

End User
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm

DancinJack wrote:
End User wrote:

While I think people get the point, this doesn't really mean anything.

It was annoying.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 pm

End User wrote:

That makes sense. I found the 6S Plus to be a tight fit, particularly in its Otterbox Defender case. That thing was necessary since I was paranoid about having to replace an $850 phone.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

End User
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
but between the green lines, issues in the cold, face unlock security concerns, and numerous other issues, id be hesitant to buy one

I’d be hesitant if it was any other brand of phone. If I have any major issues I know Apple will quickly hand me a replacement unit 5 minutes after I meet with a Genius in my local Apple store.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:34 pm

The iPhone and its new features are quite nice, but my version of reality yields the following:

1. FaceID is cool, but no one's yet mentioned its undecided legal issues involving law enforcement, namely that you may or may not have to unlock your phone if it is locked with biometrics, whereas you cannot be compelled to reveal a passcode, making biometrics legally fallible, even if they are technically sound.

2. My 6s Plus can fit in my pocket, but I have to remove it before I sit down. I've had the phone for two years now and am used to it, but it is still inconvenient and I've resolved to get a smaller phone when I 'upgrade' next.

3. Everyone's talking about these new things, but still the most practical reason to get an iPhone over any other phone is the superior camera. No other phone camera comes close.

4. The flip side to the iPhone's great camera is that, while I dropped my 6s Plus many times, the screen isn't cracked but the camera is hosed. I get blurry, wavy, clicking video and images from the 'good' camera. Luckily the front camera is still OK, but it wasn't nearly as good to begin with, which means I can use FaceTime on my phone and that's about it. I handle my phone too much to not drop it; I hope future phone cameras are either simpler or more durable.

5. The thing I keep coming back to is that Apple products no longer have the lustre they once had. Back in the day we could argue day and night over what was better, but anyone who actually used an Apple product could see how everything was deliberate and polished. I no longer find that the case. Apple is just another top-tier company, not an undisputed king.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

End User
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
The iPhone and its new features are quite nice, but my version of reality yields the following:

FireGryphon wrote:
1. FaceID is cool, but no one's yet mentioned its undecided legal issues involving law enforcement, namely that you may or may not have to unlock your phone if it is locked with biometrics, whereas you cannot be compelled to reveal a passcode, making biometrics legally fallible, even if they are technically sound.

You can disable Face ID by a) powering off the phone b) hot key before you deal with law enforcement

FireGryphon wrote:
2. My 6s Plus can fit in my pocket, but I have to remove it before I sit down. I've had the phone for two years now and am used to it, but it is still inconvenient and I've resolved to get a smaller phone when I 'upgrade' next.

iPhone X as small as a non Plus. Next years iPhone will come in two sizes so you can pick and choose.

FireGryphon wrote:
3. Everyone's talking about these new things, but still the most practical reason to get an iPhone over any other phone is the superior camera. No other phone camera comes close.

If you can afford an iPhone X I highly recommend you buy it. Gestures and Face ID have sold it for me. The camera is always good so that is a given and not a priority.

FireGryphon wrote:
4. I dropped my 6s Plus many times, the screen isn't cracked but the camera is hosed. I get blurry, wavy, clicking video and images from the 'good' camera. Luckily the front camera is still OK, but it wasn't nearly as good to begin with, which means I can use FaceTime on my phone and that's about it. I handle my phone too much to not drop it; I hope future phone cameras are either simpler or more durable.

Apple support is fracking awesome. I dropped my 7 Plus and Apple replaced it. Take it to an Apple store and get it sorted.

FireGryphon wrote:
5. The thing I keep coming back to is that Apple products no longer have the lustre they once had. Back in the day we could argue day and night over what was better, but anyone who actually used an Apple product could see how everything was deliberate and polished. I no longer find that the case. Apple is just another top-tier company, not an undisputed king.

Apple has never had the lustre. Samsung has clearly led the pack as far as the kitchen sink has been concerned.

What is a top-tier company? Google with their Pixel 2? Samsung with their S8? Good luck getting either replaced/repaired locally within 5 minutes.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:58 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
4. The flip side to the iPhone's great camera is that, while I dropped my 6s Plus many times, the screen isn't cracked but the camera is hosed. I get blurry, wavy, clicking video and images from the 'good' camera. Luckily the front camera is still OK, but it wasn't nearly as good to begin with, which means I can use FaceTime on my phone and that's about it. I handle my phone too much to not drop it; I hope future phone cameras are either simpler or more durable.

$20-50 and an hour of your time (and a phone toolkit if you don't already have one):
https://www.ebay.com/i/191630533132?chn=ps&dispctrl=1
or
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPh ... F314-006-1
and
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6s+ ... ment/55514
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

End User
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 pm

ludi wrote:
FireGryphon wrote:

$20-50 and an hour of your time (and a phone toolkit if you don't already have one):
https://www.ebay.com/i/191630533132?chn=ps&dispctrl=1
or
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPh ... F314-006-1
and
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6s+ ... ment/55514

Or buy AppleCare and call it a day or just take it in to Apple and have them take care of it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 pm

End User wrote:
Or buy AppleCare and call it a day or just take it in to Apple and have them take care of it.

Yes, I'm sure he'll consider that option when he upgrades to an X, but in the meantime he has a broken 6S that is relatively cheap and easy to repair. AppleCare costs way more than $17.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

BIF

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:17 pm

So I've read posts from both fanbois and the "logical or" thereof. I've decided to check out the X for myself before deciding.

Reasons for my interest:
1. the camera is leaps and bounds better
2. the face id sounds like it works reliably well
3. smaller would be nicer

By the time I can afford it (if ever), the X+ will be out and #3 will be a non=issue for me.

I really don't care about the gestures but will try it; maybe I just need some "hands on" time to help me realize the possibilities. Not thrilled about losing the fingerprint reader (I have a 6+), but as long as the face id is working well, then maybe I just don't know yet that I don't care. And then the missing headphone jack still bothers me, but what the hell.

Nervous about having glass on front and back, but I heard somewhere that the glass in the 8, 8+, and X is stronger than the glass in the 6 series. Is there any truth to this?

End User
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 am

ludi wrote:
End User wrote:

Yes, I'm sure he'll consider that option when he upgrades to an X, but in the meantime he has a broken 6S that is relatively cheap and easy to repair. AppleCare costs way more than $17.

Who buys an iPhone without AppleCare?

Within the first year Apple basically covers all but the most heinous damages.
Last edited by End User on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

End User
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:44 am

BIF wrote:
Nervous about having glass on front and back

Buy a case and don't worry about it.

trackerben

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 am

The opinion of those using FaceID on a daily basis is appreciated by many, I think. It's new and enabling tech that seems to work, stuff that sites like TR are good at covering.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 am

End User wrote:
ludi wrote:
End User wrote:

For what they charge for their gear, AppleCare should be included in the base price.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 am

End User wrote:
You can disable Face ID by a) powering off the phone b) hot key before you deal with law enforcement

In the heat of the moment people may get distracted and forget, and therein lies the problem.

End User wrote:
iPhone X as small as a non Plus. Next years iPhone will come in two sizes so you can pick and choose.

The iPhone SE is more the size I'm looking for in the Apple camp-- so I can sit down with it in my pocket and not have to remove it.

End User wrote:
If you can afford an iPhone X I highly recommend you buy it. Gestures and Face ID have sold it for me. The camera is always good so that is a given and not a priority.

You'll have to be more convincing if you want to sway me. I get that you like all these new features, but simply telling me that you do doesn't make me like them any more than before.

End User, and others, paraphrased wrote:
Get it serviced or service it yourself!

My complaint isn't about the potential ways to spend money fixing the problem, it's about not having the phone break in the first place. There's merit, to me, in having something that's either built well, or is simple enough, that it won't cause any repair hassles.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:25 am

End User wrote:
I wear Levi’s and my X actually fits width ways in my pocket.

i wear pants. i have no idea what brand they are. sometimes they're denim, sometimes they're not.

trackerben

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 am

FireGryphon wrote:
...The iPhone SE is more the size I'm looking for in the Apple camp-- so I can sit down with it in my pocket and not have to remove it.

And there's the rub. Sub-5-inch screens are easier for me to handle. I'll just have to wait until Apple delivers iPhone SE X :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:32 am

Anything based on biometric info can be spoofed, given a determined enough adversary. The iPhone X facial recognition feature has already been cracked, albeit in a somewhat contrived scenario. But I'm sure there are many people (both criminals and government TLAs) already working on more effective ways to spoof it, e.g. by reconstruction a 3-D model of a person's face using multiple still photographs as input.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 am

End User wrote:

Me. There are zero Apple stores within 150 miles of me. The nearest one is the Galleria in St. Louis. Second closest is in Chicago somewhere, probably Michigan Avenue. I live in the middle. Verizon is in town. I'd rather pay them $7.15/month.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

strangerguy wrote:
"Hey look, I'm only just the #342423424123 Apple hater, how original!"

I actually liked Apple rather a lot until I switched out my older Galaxy phone for a iPhone 6 for work. There are still things I really like about Apple (OS updates for old hardware? Awesome!) but iOS itself it so annoying to use that I'm having trouble not hating.

Holy crap iOS needs to stop putting apps to sleep. Anything, and I mean any app, that's not active when it goes to sleep loses its state and needs to be reloaded. Slowly driving me insane. iOS puts Chat apps to sleep! Slack on iOS? Great! Getting my messages hours late because it's unloaded? Not so great.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
End User wrote:

Me. There are zero Apple stores within 150 miles of me. The nearest one is the Galleria in St. Louis. Second closest is in Chicago somewhere, probably Michigan Avenue. I live in the middle. Verizon is in town. I'd rather pay them $7.15/month.

Same. Over 200 miles to the closest Apple store.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
strangerguy wrote:
"Hey look, I'm only just the #342423424123 Apple hater, how original!"

I actually liked Apple rather a lot until I switched out my older Galaxy phone for a iPhone 6 for work. There are still things I really like about Apple (OS updates for old hardware? Awesome!) but iOS itself it so annoying to use that I'm having trouble not hating.

Holy crap iOS needs to stop putting apps to sleep. Anything, and I mean any app, that's not active when it goes to sleep loses its state and needs to be reloaded. Slowly driving me insane. iOS puts Chat apps to sleep! Slack on iOS? Great! Getting my messages hours late because it's unloaded? Not so great.

It doesn't have push notifications like android?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Heiwashin wrote:

Yes, it pushes just fine, I've seen it work. The problem isn't putting the app to sleep, it's that the phone seems to unload Slack entirely when it's under the slightest RAM pressure... and unloading Slack loses its state (and logs you out of Slack on the device).

You won't get push notifications once the phone logs out of Slack.

I'm assuming that this is the problem that happens with all of the other chat apps, Google Hangouts does the same thing. It works for maybe a few hours as it doesn't seem to have to auto-logout problem Slack does, but at some point the iPhone 6 just stops getting network messages for it.
Last edited by Vhalidictes on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 pm

That sounds more like an app problem. I can close apps and will still receive the notifications since i'm "perma" registered.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

kvndoom

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 pm

End User wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
It will be he new baseline to which everything else is iterated upon.

Exactly.

Two things stand out for me after using my X for a week:

1) Gestures rock

I chuckle because of how many people said gestures were a horrible way to do anything on a phone when Blackberry 10 launched. In 2013.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 pm

FireGryphon wrote:

OK, sorry FireGryphon, but that just isn't true. There isn't really any objective way to measure this, and honestly that's the thing about phone cameras these days. With the rare exception, flagship phones all come with really great cameras these days. There are small differences when it comes to low-light or "pick your feature," but for the most part it's all about your personal preference on aesthetics.

The Pixel 2 cameras have been pretty widely accepted as being better than the iPhone X and iPhone 8/8+. (Note that when I'm talking about the "camera" I'm talking about the whole flow including all the magic work software does on the backend) The Samsung GS8/8+ and Note 8 are definitely up there too. The iPhone X and iPhone 8/8+ are up there too. But to say that the iPhone has a head and shoulders lead in the camera department like they used to in the 5, 5s, 6 days just isn't true anymore. Almost everything is about personal preference now.

(this post comes to you from an iPhone 7+ and Pixel XL owner and advocate for both)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm

kvndoom wrote:
End User wrote:
Exactly.

Two things stand out for me after using my X for a week:

1) Gestures rock

I chuckle because of how many people said gestures were a horrible way to do anything on a phone when Blackberry 10 launched. In 2013.

Vast, vast, vast difference between BB10 and its hardware, and the iPhone X and its hardware. Let's not get it twisted now, kvndoom. And if we're gonna go there, why not go back to PalmOS and the Pre?

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Yes, it pushes just fine, I've seen it work. The problem isn't putting the app to sleep, it's that the phone seems to unload Slack entirely when it's under the slightest RAM pressure... and unloading Slack loses its state (and logs you out of Slack on the device).

This seems like a feature to make the device more responsive and use less battery.

You won't get push notifications once the phone logs out of Slack.

I'm assuming that this is the problem that happens with all of the other chat apps, Google Hangouts does the same thing. It works for maybe a few hours as it doesn't seem to have to auto-logout problem Slack does, but at some point the iPhone 6 just stops getting network messages for it

As others have noted, this sounds either like poor app design or you simply have Background App Refresh disabled.

Apple has explicitly designed for this to work. Apps can install handlers that run in the background, even when the app is swapped out, that continue to process messages and react to them. If the app isn't written to do this, then yes, it may suffer. But if you've disabled Background App Refresh, then yes, by design stuff doesn't run when it's not active.