Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: The iPhone got forked!

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

It's not app design. I have used Slack, without issue (at least not this issue as described above) on a 6S+ and 7+. I have never seen the behavior being described in my experience. I have never seen iOS completely log me out of Slack unless I specifically asked it too. I'm not sure what you have going on with that phone, but it's definitely not normal for iOS.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm

To those that do not have an Apple Store or a Apple Authorized Service Provider within a reasonable distance, I think Apple defines this as 25 Miles but am not sure, With AppleCare and AppleCare+ THEY DO CROSS SHIP:

straight from their FAQ:

Express Replacement Service for Apple Watch, iPad, and iPhone. Contact us and we’ll send you a replacement device right away. After you receive your replacement device, send us your faulty device to complete the transaction.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:36 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
You'll have to be more convincing if you want to sway me.

Ya. You would be better off checking it out at a store.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:34 pm

tanker27 wrote:
To those that do not have an Apple Store or a Apple Authorized Service Provider within a reasonable distance, I think Apple defines this as 25 Miles but am not sure, With AppleCare and AppleCare+ THEY DO CROSS SHIP:

straight from their FAQ:

Express Replacement Service for Apple Watch, iPad, and iPhone. Contact us and we’ll send you a replacement device right away. After you receive your replacement device, send us your faulty device to complete the transaction.

But I can walk into a Verizon store and walk out with a replacement. Why would I cross-ship with Apple?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:18 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

straight from their FAQ:

But I can walk into a Verizon store and walk out with a replacement. Why would I cross-ship with Apple?

For those without VZW or Apple close enough? In college I lived in a "town" of about 100K during the school year, and they only had one real VZW store. I can imagine a lot of places without a Verizon or Apple nearby.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 pm

DancinJack wrote:
For those without VZW or Apple close enough? In college I lived in a "town" of about 100K during the school year, and they only had one real VZW store. I can imagine a lot of places without a Verizon or Apple nearby.

Topeka?

KS is a little weird because Verizon (or an MVNO) is almost the only game in town; the towns are so small you really only need one Verizon store; and any town larger than 10k probably has one.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:30 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Because, from past experience, there are some things that VZW and ATT do not warranty even with AppleCare and AppleCare+. And besides I'd much rather do business with Apple even if it is dealing with the mail than my cell provider. Again from past experience, Apple doesn't try and weasel out of their warranties whereas the cell provider would do its damnedest to not provide you a replacement.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 pm

ludi wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Topeka?

KS is a little weird because Verizon (or an MVNO) is almost the only game in town; the towns are so small you really only need one Verizon store; and any town larger than 10k probably has one.

Lawrence, but hey! We have all four carriers plus MVNOs. Wichita is ~380K and has three corp stores. I literally won't even step into an "authorized retailer." That's a good way to end up with something on your bill and plan you didn't ask for.

There are plenty of towns in KS that are probably bigger than people think. Wichita is ~380K. IIRC there are five or six at or about 100K. KS isn't all farms like most people think. Though they are numerous.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

DancinJack wrote:
There are plenty of towns in KS that are probably bigger than people think. Wichita is ~380K. IIRC there are five or six at or about 100K. KS isn't all farms like most people think. Though they are numerous.

You can't fool me. I've driven the entire western 2/3 of the state and the eastern state line for business, one way or another :-)

Admittedly my times in both Wichita and Kansas City were brief.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

ludi wrote:
You can't fool me. I've driven the entire western 2/3 of the state and the eastern state line for business, one way or another :-)

Admittedly my times in both Wichita and Kansas City were brief.

Ugh, the worst parts! (or best depending on your point of view I suppose) Those parts of the state are what people think about. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo flllllllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt. South central and northeastern KS has allllll da people. Lawrence is only 45 minutes from the KC area. And yeah, now I remember you're in central/eastern CO. Eastern CO and western KS are very similar, with KS being a fair bit more boring.

FWIW, for being such a sparsely populated state, the University of Kansas (my school) is pretty big. They have multiple campuses, a great medical school, law school, and about 25-30K on the main campus depending on the year.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 am

When I was in Middle School my dad was stationed at Ft. Riley / Junction City. Yeah west of that its pretty damn sparse. But also pretty damn cool driving I70 into Denver flat....flat....flat....BOOM....MOUNTAINS! I mean you can see them from quite far away but it isnt until you get to Colby you're like, "OMG I have to drive up that!?"

/thread jack.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm

tanker27 wrote:
When I was in Middle School my dad was stationed at Ft. Riley / Junction City. Yeah west of that its pretty damn sparse. But also pretty damn cool driving I70 into Denver flat....flat....flat....BOOM....MOUNTAINS! I mean you can see them from quite far away but it isnt until you get to Colby you're like, "OMG I have to drive up that!?"

/thread jack.

Yep, that (Manhattan/Junction) is about where the "flat and nothing else including big cities" starts. Just a quick 7 hour drive into Denver nbd!

Yes sorry for jankin' the thread.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 pm

DancinJack wrote:

My point is not that everyone should use Verizon (or their carrier). My point is that everyone should take all options into consideration, and AppleCare is only one option that's not terribly convenient, even if they cross-ship, for some people.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
My point is not that everyone should use Verizon (or their carrier). My point is that everyone should take all options into consideration, and AppleCare is only one option that's not terribly convenient, even if they cross-ship, for some people.

I wasn't disagreeing with that at all. Just that if you don't have a corporate store (for your carrier) close, or an Apple store, cross-shipping isn't a terrible option considering those facts. I think we're on the same page Funk.

edit: Also, anecdotal but still, I have always had really great experiences with Apple support. I don't make it into the stores often as I don't have one close to me, but they have always done the right thing IMO with the times I have contacted them. I have heard the same from a lot of others as well.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:46 pm

DancinJack wrote:
edit: Also, anecdotal but still, I have always had really great experiences with Apple support. I don't make it into the stores often as I don't have one close to me, but they have always done the right thing IMO with the times I have contacted them. I have heard the same from a lot of others as well.

Whether anecdotal or by design, its their customer service that keeps me as a customer. Hands down they are top in this aspect. On the phone or in a store they really want to solve your problem. Plus it also helps that they'd just replace an item no questions asked to make things right.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I dunno. I don't think you can find a company that doesn't hire the occasional moron. Like the Apple support rep that told me that since I'd had an iPhone at some point in my life, all of my iPhone-toting friends would forever send me iMessages. I actually considered having Verizon (another company I have had bad support experiences with) change my number. It really chaffs my willy that intelligent human beings are looking for work when a dunce like that can tell me stupid things and remain employed.

Not a strike against Apple, but certainly not a point in their favor, either.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm

I would love more RAM in the iPhone. I feel like iOS11 is much more rigid on killing apps such that they require full reload than iOS10 did, presumably for RAM reasons. This is on the iPhone7+, the flagship model up until 8 weeks ago.

End User
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I would love more RAM in the iPhone. I feel like iOS11 is much more rigid on killing apps such that they require full reload than iOS10 did, presumably for RAM reasons. This is on the iPhone7+, the flagship model up until 8 weeks ago.

You can see the extra RAM advantage in this video.

End User
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm

sweatshopking wrote:

You either a) never research your posts or b) deliberately obfuscate the facts - it's what you do and you're very good at it.

Apple released a security white paper that discussed this very topic OVER TWO WEEKS BEFORE THAT VIDEO WAS POSTED:

The probability of a false match is different for twins and siblings that look like you as well as among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

Redocbew

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm

... which is all to say "You weren't expecting any more than security theatre, were you?"
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

End User
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Redocbew wrote:
... which is all to say "You weren't expecting any more than security theatre, were you?"

Perhaps.

Fortunately I’m uniquely ugly and have no children. Face ID is a dream for me.

Having children is the most destructive thing a person can to both the environment and ones iPhone X security.

Redocbew

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:55 pm

End User wrote:
Fortunately I’m uniquely ugly and have no children.

That does in fact make many things much easier.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:24 am

Also FaceID gets better over time as it learns your facial nuances. Its why you can use it in low light situations and with unique situations like wearing a hat, glasses, beard. You're more likely to have false positives early on after setting it up then you are after using it for a few days/weeks/months/years.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for posting that!

this one is huge as I did not have it enabled:

Safari now optionally uses Face ID before filling in passwords on Web sites. Previously, even with Touch ID, they filled automatically if the iPhone was unlocked. That’s enabled by default in Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Many third-party apps, such as 1Password, can also use Face ID for authentication.

I use LastPass and now that I have it enabled it auto-magically injects my Username and Passwords into websites...
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:25 am

That statement right there is a crock. You mean to tell me that if you show your phone to someone else it'll lock? My guess is no, which means Continuous Authentication is misleading at best and an outright lie at worst. Apple gets enough breaks from the tech press, they don't need them coming up with new RDF buzzwords along with it.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:29 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

No. That's not what it means. Read the article!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

Yes, I know, you go to use Apple Pay and you're already looking at the phone. You go to log into an app that supports biometric logins and it automatically unlocks.

That means I have no control over when I'm authenticated.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 am

Correct, if you leave the option at the default enabled. You can turn if off if you want...