Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: The iPhone got forked!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:58 pm

let's not pretend that because they released a white paper saying "it's completely insecure" that suddenly it's secure. just because they agree it's terrible doesn't mean it's not terrible.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
That means I have no control over when I'm authenticated.

You decide which apps use Touch/Face ID.

Using Outlook as an example: When i switch to Outlook Face ID kicks in. The same thing happens when using Touch ID. What is your beef with this?

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
let's not pretend that because they released a white paper saying "it's completely insecure" that suddenly it's secure. just because they agree it's terrible doesn't mean it's not terrible.

How does Face ID compare to Windows Hello facial recognition sensors in Microsoft phones?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm

I can leave it disabled, sure...so then what did I spend $1000 on?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Some people are just happiest when they complain........ >.>
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:59 pm

I just like having control over when things happen. If that's the future of Apple, I got out at the right time.
End User wrote:
sweatshopking wrote:

How does Face ID compare to Windows Hello facial recognition sensors in Microsoft phones?

I don't know about phones, but my laptop has it and it sucks. Also one of the first things I turned off. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:14 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

So, there's this phone vendor called OnePlus...

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Not really the point, but until OnePlus makes a phone that works on Verizon they can go to hell.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:28 pm

tanker27 wrote:

...and others just have to get the latest shiny new thing as soon as it is released regardless of cost, and will defend their decision to do so to the death. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:44 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Not really the point, but until OnePlus makes a phone that works on Verizon they can go to hell.

Preach. I'll be first (or maybe second) in line for the OnePlus6 if it has a CDMA radio.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:01 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't know about phones, but my laptop has it and it sucks. Also one of the first things I turned off. :lol:

I think that would depend on the laptop. It is more secure than faceid. I have an intel real sense camera on my desktop and it's excellent. What model do you have?

The iris scanner on phones is secure, it's just that the entire idea of face unlocking sucks. I have a lumia 950xl and while it works as well as i could expect it's still annoying having to show my face to it. Apple was right to go fingerprint. Faceid is a step back, and they should have learned that from the criticisms MS got years ago launching facial recognition on a phone.

https://www.engadget.com/2015/08/23/win ... twin-test/

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:20 pm

DancinJack wrote:
until OnePlus makes a phone that works on Verizon

Pretty sure that's going to be "Until Verizon works on OnePlus." They (Verizon) are moving that direction, but somewhere I recently read 2020 or '21 before the legacy hardware is fully retired and all towers are operating pure LTE.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:24 pm

ludi wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

Pretty sure that's going to be "Until Verizon works on OnePlus." They (Verizon) are moving that direction, but somewhere I recently read 2020 or '21 before the legacy hardware is fully retired and all towers are operating pure LTE.

I completely understand the issue. My complaint is that plenty of others make phones with radios that work on all major networks in the US. They are choosing not to include support for some odd reason. But hey, plenty of phones to choose from so it's not a huge deal.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:29 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
I think that would depend on the laptop.

Inspiron 13 7000 (7th gen i7-7500U). It's not an XPS13, and it cost less than an iPhone X, but I expect features to work (whether I want them or not :lol:).

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I completely understand the issue. My complaint is that plenty of others make phones with radios that work on all major networks in the US. They are choosing not to include support for some odd reason. But hey, plenty of phones to choose from so it's not a huge deal.

Eh, as someone noted on the front page comments to the 5T summary, these guys have extremely thin margin selling a device this way. A second model solely for the US market (which has been one of the last to go to the BYOD/pay-up-front model) and additional licensing fees to Qualcomm is probably beyond the tipping point.

Don't get me wrong, I would have gladly switched to one of these if they did support Verizon. It's basically what the Nexus used to be, but with an extra shot thrown in for free because the barista was in a good mood.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:48 pm

ludi wrote:
Eh, as someone noted on the front page comments to the 5T summary, these guys have extremely thin margin selling a device this way. A second model solely for the US market (which has been one of the last to go to the BYOD/pay-up-front model) and additional licensing fees to Qualcomm is probably beyond the tipping point.

Don't get me wrong, I would have gladly switched to one of these if they did support Verizon. It's basically what the Nexus used to be, but with an extra shot thrown in for free because the barista was in a good mood.

I totally get it. I just don't see why they made that choice. They're missing out on half of US subscribership by not doing it (Sprint + Verizon). I am, however, not the CEO of a successful technology company though so take from this what you will.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I'm not suggesting you turn it off. I'm asking what your beef is with Face ID when it comes to securing apps?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:09 pm

My beef is I want to choose when it's authenticated and when it's not. I feel like the fingerprint authentication system was perfect. I feel like the second-gen touch sensor in the 6S Plus and my wife's 7 Plus (edit: and in my Pixel 2, for that matter) just can't be topped. I touch the sensor when I want to authenticate.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:20 pm

ludi wrote:
DancinJack wrote:

My understanding is that Verizon uses the same LTE bands as everyone else. It's just the 2G/3G towers that are stuck with CDMA.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Verizon uses bands 1 through 5. The OP5t supports all of Verizon's bands. But I'm occasionally in an area where all that's available in CDMA, and there'd be no reception in those areas.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
My beef is I want to choose when it's authenticated and when it's not. I feel like the fingerprint authentication system was perfect. I feel like the second-gen touch sensor in the 6S Plus and my wife's 7 Plus (edit: and in my Pixel 2, for that matter) just can't be topped. I touch the sensor when I want to authenticate.

Pretend the Face ID sensor is a finger print reader. Hold you finger over it and wait for the Face ID logo to appear before you release your finger. :P

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

I'll stick with my obsolete hardware, thanks.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'll stick with my obsolete hardware, thanks.

I tried.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

...and others just have to get the latest shiny new thing as soon as it is released regardless of cost, and will defend their decision to do so to the death. :wink:

Uhhhhh Nope....Next please.

I guess you missed my earlier post where I clearly stated I upgraded from a 6+. In fact I sold the aforementioned pristine 6+ for 250 bucks which helped defray the cost of my X. That's called making a wise decision.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:55 pm

tanker27 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

I guess you missed my earlier post where I clearly stated I upgraded from a 6+. In fact I sold the aforementioned pristine 6+ for 250 bucks which helped defray the cost of my X. That's called making a wise decision.

That wasn't directed at you. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:03 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I think that would depend on the laptop. It is more secure than faceid.

I love it when you make statements without a shred of evidence to support your claim. I have no clue which is more secure.

But ...

... can someone explain the following?

Facial recognition sensors

To allow facial recognition, you must have devices with integrated special infrared (IR) sensors and software. Facial recognition sensors use special cameras that see in IR light, letting them tell the difference between a photo and a living person while scanning an employee’s facial features. These sensors, like the fingerprint sensors, must also include anti-spoofing measures (required) and a way to configure them (optional).

False Accept Rate (FAR): <0.001
    False Reject Rate (FRR) without Anti-spoofing or liveness detection: <5%
    Effective, real world FRR with Anti-spoofing or liveness detection: <10%

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... enterprise

End User
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I concur. That was not directed at you.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm

just brew it! wrote:

End User wrote:
I concur. That was not directed at you.

Sorry I felt it was since I was quoted. I apologize. :oops:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Yes. FaceID should be the username, TouchID the password. (If we're doing biometrics.)
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Topinio wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Yes. FaceID should be the username, TouchID the password. (If we're doing biometrics.)

I think that's probably closer to the "future." More likely it'll all just be one step retina scan or something, but at least we're getting closer.