Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: The iPhone got forked!

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

End User wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
bjm wrote:
You're killer would have a far easier time using your finger print from your dead hands, than waving your phone in front of your face since you have to be looking at the phone.

Good point. It's almost as if you shouldn't use biometrics at all.

Good grief. You can always turn it off.

Of course you can; You're kind of missing the point though, which is this: why pay for a premium phone with premium features that you'd never use?

Although it is fun to read phone reviews complaining about bad finger-sensor position or a lack of NFC when maybe 5% of the purchasers will ever care.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Although it is fun to read phone reviews complaining about bad finger-sensor position or a lack of NFC when maybe 5% of the purchasers will ever care.

The fingerprint sensor positioning on this year's Samsung flagships is downright dumb. Now that I've had the Pixel 2 for a couple weeks, I'm not sure it's that much better, though. My finger doesn't always naturally go to that spot on the device yet, and at this point there's no reason to believe it ever will. It's fine, though. I must be in the 5% of users that want to use that feature. It's too convenient to pass on.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:12 pm

MOSFET wrote:
Here at TR, I think it's enthusiasm for hardware and devices, rather than for a company.

For you and me, this is true. But on any site there will be brand/company fanboys.

Speaking of which:
End User wrote:
Removal of home button + Face ID + gestures = radical

Heiwashin wrote:
It's like you guys have been hypnotized.

Stay woke brother.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
End User wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Good grief. You can always turn it off.

Of course you can; You're kind of missing the point though, which is this: why pay for a premium phone with premium features that you'd never use?

You can quickly disable Face ID by holding down the volume/power buttons. Once you thwart your killers attack all you need to do to enable Face ID again is log into your X with your pin.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
NFC

Thanks for reminding me about Face ID and Apple Pay.

This is the biggest workflow issue I’ve had to deal with. I double click on the power button to launch Apple Pay but I keep forgetting to look at the phone to unlock it with Face ID. A few more trips to Tim Hortons and I should have it down pat.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 pm

End User wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
NFC

This is the biggest workflow issue I’ve had to deal with. I double click on the power button to launch Apple Pay but I keep forgetting to look at the phone to unlock it with Face ID. A few more trips to Tim Hortons and I should have it down pat.

Now that I have an iPhone 6+ for work use I'm tempted to set up Apple Pay, the main problem is that the only place around here that takes it is Taco Bell.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

Subtle sarcasm win. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 pm

That doesn't sound like a problem to me. I have an unhealthy addiction to their mexican pizza's. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:53 pm

Also the entire thing is a gimmicky waste of time.

As far as this discussion thread, I'm neither hater nor believer. However, I have to say that this comment about FaceID is just backwards. A friend with a SurfaceBook saves quite a bit of time logging in by looking at the device for half a second, rather than orienting the device for typing and keying in a password.

I keep seeing Apple and Samsung stickers on the backs of cash registers / point-of-sale systems. The ONE place where the employee knew how to "accept" the ApplePay payment method was Trader Joe's. I thought ApplePay was gimmicky until I used it, but then realized (theoretically) I never have to take my debit/credit card out of my wallet (almost) ever again.
Last edited by MOSFET on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

End User
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
End User wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
NFC

Now that I have an iPhone 6+ for work use I'm tempted to set up Apple Pay, the main problem is that the only place around here that takes it is Taco Bell.

In Toronto, and on my travels, my experience has been that any place that accepts tap to pay can handle Apple Pay.
Last edited by End User on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:00 pm

MOSFET wrote:
Also the entire thing is a gimmicky waste of time.

As far as this discussion thread, I'm neither hater nor believer. However, I have to say that this comment about FaceID is just backwards. A friend with a SurfaceBook saves quite a bit of time logging in by looking at the device for half a second, rather than orienting the device for typing and keying in a password.

Agreed, anything over typing a password is great. A thumbprint enabled button works great too, a press of the button to turn on the phone and keeping your thumb on it simultaneously unlocks it.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Topinio wrote:
By the time we could get it (10th November, exactly 10 years ago!!) it was $399 == £197 (ex. tax). I guess it's fair, the pound was worth $2.09 then and now is $1.32, and VAT was 17.5% and now is 20%, and inflation has happened and pay rises haven't ...

Well, the release price in the US was $499 for 4GB and $599 for 8GB. The 8GB dropped to $399 pretty quickly though (and they discontinued the 4GB model). Those prices also required a contract with ATT. That whole agreement exclusivity with ATT was such crap.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
End User wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
You guys don't mind paying for a forked device for features which essentially could have been an over the air update to most current models?

Over the air update?

Face ID - hardware feature
Edge to edge OLED display - hardware feature
Removal of home button - hardware feature

Face ID is awesome. I can't wait for my killer to wave my phone in front of my dead face to unlock it. Security WINNING!

Supposedly it doesn't work with static faces. They did a lot of testing with molded rubber faces of several of their employees during development. It's only supposed to work on a living face, and then, only when you're actually looking at the phone (i.e. no closed eyes or looking away).

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Last time I checked facial recognition can be done on any computing device. I'm not sure why you're convinced it can only be done with specialized hardware.

It can only be done WELL with specialized hardware. Apple has taken Face ID at least an order of magnitude in sophistication beyond any previous iteration.

That is not to say the couldn't put the Face ID sensors into any of their other products. It's the sensors, not the phone. I'm sure we'll see it in iPads and MacBooks in due time.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Just because you CAN use unneeded junk to do facial recognition don't mean it's needed. Also the entire thing is a gimmicky waste of time. You guys are suckers. :lol:

If that's true, then why is every previous iteration of face ID I've seen barely better than a cheap gimmick?

Apple made a better Fingerprint sensor than anyone else when they came out with Touch ID. This isn't to say that the rest of the industry can't copy their success. But they clearly moved the state of the art in the industry abruptly forward.

They have done the same with Face ID. If you look at any of the in-depth analysis of its design, it once again moves the state of the art of the industry far forward from where it was previously. 3D mapping the face in real-time is not even in the same chapter of the textbook with simply mapping points on a 2D image. Which is why my friends with Android devices that do face recognition have always considered it barely security and barely adequate.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Gestures hey bb10!
Face unlock hey lumias!
Edge to edge displays hey Chinese phones!

Nothing here is revolutionary. Phone looks decent. Nothing it does is new though, and you'd literally have to pretend it was.
Most interesting iphone in a while, but between the green lines, issues in the cold, face unlock security concerns, and numerous other issues, id be hesitant to buy one, and I'm generally more in favor of iphones vs android. China is now dominating in phone tech. They're taking more risks and going quicker with the tech.

Redocbew

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Apple is just being Apple. They take something which has been done before, and they make something which doesn't suck, and then everyone loses their minds about it.

That's not to say they don't have some serious talent when it comes to making hardware. They make some really nice hardware, but they have their own share of questionable widgets attached to it just like everyone else.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Buub wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Just because you CAN use unneeded junk to do facial recognition don't mean it's needed. Also the entire thing is a gimmicky waste of time. You guys are suckers. :lol:

If that's true, then why is every previous iteration of face ID I've seen barely better than a cheap gimmick?

So they replaced a useless cheap gimmick with a useless expensive gimmick.Tell me more about how it's changing the world. :wink:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DoomGuy64
Gerbil

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:21 am

Something I've heard repeated multiple times from security articles: Biometrics is a username, not a password. You need 2 factors for real security. However for most people, this is probably good enough for general use since it does seem to be more advanced than standard facial recog. Minority Report here we come....

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:01 am

"Hey look, I'm only just the #342423424123 Apple hater, how original!"
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:07 am

strangerguy wrote:
"Hey look, I'm only just the #342423424123 Apple hater, how original!"

I"m not an apple hater, but i am always going to point out when i notice weird logic defying carrying on's about how super awesome the next generic thing is. If you want to buy the phone cus you like the phone go for it. If i was in the market for one and it seemed like a good choice i'd get it, but the phone still would not be the coming of messiah.
When drunk.....

End User
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:34 am

Redocbew wrote:
Apple is just being Apple. They take something which has been done before, and they make something which doesn't suck, and then everyone loses their minds about it.

Exactly. It is common knowledge by this point. Just look at large displays, OLED, finger print reader, and wireless charging. Apple waits until the tech is baked before they release it.

End User
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:36 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Buub wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

So they replaced a useless cheap gimmick with a useless expensive gimmick.Tell me more about how it's changing the world. :wink:

Face ID changed my world. For the better.

End User
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 am

sweatshopking wrote:
Gestures hey bb10!
Face unlock hey lumias!
Edge to edge displays hey Chinese phones!

Nothing here is revolutionary. Phone looks decent. Nothing it does is new though, and you'd literally have to pretend it was.
Most interesting iphone in a while, but between the green lines, issues in the cold, face unlock security concerns, and numerous other issues, id be hesitant to buy one, and I'm generally more in favor of iphones vs android. China is now dominating in phone tech. They're taking more risks and going quicker with the tech.

Just look at Samsung phones. Samsung has been way ahead of Apple in introducing new tech. That has been going on for years. Apple deliberately holds back.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 pm

They wait till the tech is all good? That must be why they're having so many issues with the tech on this phone. Granted there aren't any explosions....

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I seem to recall there were a bunch of 'my iPhone burnt a hole in my pants and scorched my leg' news articles at the same time as the Note 7 was, ah, blowing up the headlines - seems like Apple was on the cutting edge with that feature. Perhaps they've just learnt the same lesson Samsung had to?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 am

Just think of all those poor iPhone users that don't have any fingers with which to unlock their Touch ID-equipped devices! #revolution

I think what I'm hearing is that if nobody did anything original Apple would have nothing to copy.

And that's fine. I like legacy iPhones very well. My iPhone 6s Plus is a nice device. But let's not call it anything but what it is. Copying.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:41 am

You guys are all whiners. Who cares if phone companies copy each other? It's VERY clear some of you don't like the iPhone, and that's fine. Move on. It's also clear some of you like the iPhone. That's great too! What it isn't though, is magical. Just like any other phone. Apple isn't perfect, nor is Samsung or Motorola. Get over it. Get whatever works best for you and stop hating on everything that isn't your favorite.

/s

I hope none of you are buying AMD processors, ever! All they have done for their whole existence is copy Intel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!11!!!

/s
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:09 am

DancinJack wrote:
Get whatever works best for you and stop hating on everything that isn't your favorite.

I just binge-read the thread and I'm not convinced anyone other than one or two outliers is hating on the iPhone. Mostly, just poking the two leading gushers to enjoy the twitching.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:10 am

ludi wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Get whatever works best for you and stop hating on everything that isn't your favorite.

I just binge-read the thread and I'm not convinced anyone other than one or two outliers is hating on the iPhone. Mostly, just poking the two leading gushers to enjoy the twitching.

Caught red handed. :lol:
When drunk.....