Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Greyed our iPhone icons

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:30 am

I have a weird problem that isn’t on any of the usual Mac sites, so I figured I’d try here. This problem is with my iPhone 6s Plus running ios11.

Lately I noticed that icons, especially the Chrome icon on the bar at the bottom of the screen, will become greyed out. I cannot figure out why this happens, but it doesn’t seem to affect the functionality of the app. I can still click on it and it launches like usual. Every problem talked about on Apple sites have to do with apps that become greyed out and cannot run, but my apps are greyed out and run fine.

This happened to a few apps, but for the last few weeks has only been happening with Chrome.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Greyed our iPhone icons

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:57 am

Maybe a failure to sync everything it wants to?

Maybe it's run out of available storage space?
Desktop: 750W Snow Silent, X11SAT-F, E3-1270 v5, 32GB ECC, RX 5700 XT, 500GB P1 + 250GB BX100 + 250GB BX100 + 4TB 7E8, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: X-650, DH67GD, i5-2500K, 4GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500 + 1.5TB ST1500DL003, KD-43XH9196 + KA220HQ
Laptop: MBP15,2

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:17 am

Typically, the only time I have seen an icon grayed out is right before ios starts updating the program. I think maybe I saw something like your situation when I had a program that ios thought it should update but couldn't. In my situation, it was an app that I wasn't using anymore, so I deleted it. You could try deleting and reinstalling to see if this resolves the issue.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:23 am

Indication that a newer version is available and pending update, perhaps Grasping at straws here...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for the replies. I have background app refresh and sync off. The greyed out look is exactly like the pre-update look, only I have everything set to manual for updates, refreshes, etc. (and this problem happens even after I apply updates, which I do regularly). I also deleted and reinstalled the app when this started happening but that didn’t resolve it, and I have enough free space available.

I suppose the next step is to reset the iPhone and reinstall everything, but part of me doesn’t want to resort to Windows 95 tactics if I don’t absolutely have to. It is ironic that the solution to so many iPhone problems* (and maybe Android too?) is the same thing everyone mocked Microsoft for over 20 years ago.

Do let me know if anyone comes across a solution for this along the way.

* I had a few other problems over the last couple years for which the reps at the Apple store told me to reset the phone to fix it.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 am

The only reason people weren't mocking Apple for the same solutions 20 years ago is because in 1997 almost nobody owned a Mac. Apple was on the brink of bankruptcy and Mac OS 8 was awfully unstable on the Performa 6400s in the college computer labs. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Never heard of that before. It does sound like an update hang, but delete and reinstalling should fix that, as the latest version will be installed. Let us know if you figure it out.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 am

Before I'd reset the phone I'd try a re-sync with iTunes and a hard reset first. If you have a pretty current back-up in iTunes I'd also try pushing that to the phone also.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!