Personal computing discussed

Moderators: David, Thresher

 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:48 pm

https://www.geekbench.com/blog/2017/12/ ... ttery-age/

Don't just look at geekbench.com and ignore it. There is at least some decent research that went into the blog post. I'm not saying this is the reason people freak out and complain about how awful every iOS update is on their last gen iPhone, but it may account for some issues that people experience.

Honestly a bit surprised this is how Apple looked at mitigating the issues. Makes for a pretty awful experience if it's all true.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2603
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 10:49 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:36 pm

I always thought it was planned obsolescence. Target older hardware for slow software to the point it is barely usable. Then the new devices seem so much faster!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the first. When I first got it, it was quick, snappy, lots of cool features. Now with a factory reset, fresh, it is still snappy. Connect it to the Internetz through, and a few things download and drag it to its knees. Just Chrome and Kindle on it now, everything else drags. Samsung saw fit to never update it's OS, and it is perfectly good hardware that I cannot really use well any more. I can only assume that the latest apps want a later OS than it has, and it "emulates" features that are not supported and that is why it is so damned slow.

Getting a Kindle Fire HD 10.1 to replace it. For $90 you cannot go wrong.

Lack of support on a flagship product has removed me from the Samsung team.
 
ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8106
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:57 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the first. When I first got it, it was quick, snappy, lots of cool features. Now with a factory reset, fresh, it is still snappy. Connect it to the Internetz through, and a few things download and drag it to its knees. Just Chrome and Kindle on it now, everything else drags. Samsung saw fit to never update it's OS, and it is perfectly good hardware that I cannot really use well any more.

5yo tablet from any vendor is orphanware, especially one designed around Android 4.x(!). Apple supports their hardware comparatively longer than most, but not after five years.

If you're replacing it anyway and don't mind the usual risks of third-party ROMs, there are LineageOS ports 6.x and 7.x you can try installing on the Note.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 18298
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:08 pm

My Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro never got any OS updates. :( That is why Samsung tablets and phones are on my "avoid" list. I'm going to try to convert my mother to the dark side with a new iPad this Christmas to replace her Galaxy Note 10.1.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Apple confirmed today that they are in fact "slowing down" things a bit to prevent system shutdowns.
Apple wrote:
Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
chubbyhorse
Gerbil
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:51 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 pm

..and I believe it.
I have the iPhone 6 with iOS 11; and I've had it numerous times where I'll have to wait sometimes 10-15 seconds for the messages app to open to respond to a text; or press a text box and wait for the keyboard to eventually show up, only to wait more time for it it register any input from typing.
The many phone calls I've missed because it wouldn't register my swipe to answer - turn off the screen; 3-5 seconds later *screen off click*
When I read the article about GeekBench, I reran it and found my score had went from 1351/2296 in Jul on iOS10 to 774/1232 on iOS 11 in Dec.
I never used to believe the rumors a couple years ago, and that hardware was getting good enough that you didnt need to update every couple years. Now, I've began leaving my Mophie JuicePack turned on to keep the battery @ 100% just to squeeze every CPU cycle I can out of the A8 - yet my phone still would last a day on average on a single charge (sometimes two) without the added assistance of the Mophie - yet it doesn't really seem to help much perceptibly.
Never had any issues w/ iOS 10 - now iOS 11, makes me feel like I'm reliving my Motorola Droid 2 days all over again.

If I could go back to 10, I would. If I could upgrade, I would. Being a company phone, and "the 6's are still very good" (according to our phone issuer)... not getting rid of it any time soon.
I hate this phone now.
 
techguy
Gerbil XP
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:53 pm

chubbyhorse wrote:
..and I believe it.
I have the iPhone 6 with iOS 11; and I've had it numerous times where I'll have to wait sometimes 10-15 seconds for the messages app to open to respond to a text; or press a text box and wait for the keyboard to eventually show up, only to wait more time for it it register any input from typing.
The many phone calls I've missed because it wouldn't register my swipe to answer - turn off the screen; 3-5 seconds later *screen off click*
When I read the article about GeekBench, I reran it and found my score had went from 1351/2296 in Jul on iOS10 to 774/1232 on iOS 11 in Dec.
I never used to believe the rumors a couple years ago, and that hardware was getting good enough that you didnt need to update every couple years. Now, I've began leaving my Mophie JuicePack turned on to keep the battery @ 100% just to squeeze every CPU cycle I can out of the A8 - yet my phone still would last a day on average on a single charge (sometimes two) without the added assistance of the Mophie - yet it doesn't really seem to help much perceptibly.
Never had any issues w/ iOS 10 - now iOS 11, makes me feel like I'm reliving my Motorola Droid 2 days all over again.

If I could go back to 10, I would. If I could upgrade, I would. Being a company phone, and "the 6's are still very good" (according to our phone issuer)... not getting rid of it any time soon.
I hate this phone now.


iPhone 6 was slow almost from launch day. That's what 1GB RAM will do for you. I couldn't wait to upgrade from my 6+ to a 6S+ - best upgrade I ever did.
 
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7351
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:35 am
Location: Hockeytown, MI

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

I've been holding off updating my iphone 6+ for this very reason.
 
tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:38 pm

I think two different ideas are being mixed up in this whole thing.

The most common was that the OS itself got so fat it ran poorly on old hardware due to them not really caring to optimize on them anymore. Notable releases that really chunked things up were 4, 7, and now 11, among earlier others. Clockspeed throttling was not the theory here, it was that the OS would get too fat for the SoC to handle well at all.

What's happening HERE is that it's been revealed that the SoC will act less bursty on a degraded battery. They should have been more transparent with it, but I believe that it's just to prevent shutdowns, better to be a bit slower than have an unreliable phone.

Now here's where I'm personally pissed at Apple: The 6S battery recall, which is why the .1 release changed this originally. A batch went out defective. They "patched" it in software to not shut down as much, and had a free battery swap in a specific ssin group (though it didn't seem to cover everyone impacted, but that's another seperate piss off). Now why couldn't they just give a user notification to come in for a free swap to restore performance? Most people will never figure out that patch is why their 6S is slower, even on batteries that should have been in good shape had they not been the defective batch.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s- ... dshutdown/
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24713
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

My iPhone was a 6S Plus, so in theory it shouldn't have been impacted, but it really was starting to feel slow on iOS 11.1 by the time I got my Pixel 2. So I have no idea - was it affected since it also had an A9, or was it unaffected and OS bloat is all that's to blame? Impossible to tell, I guess.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Posts: 22313
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 pm

The battery in my 7+ has started to really stink the last couple weeks. It has maybe three hours of screen on time. But when I disable location services, I’m back to where I was with 50% battery remaining at the end of the day. Very strange. I wonder if this is related.
 
MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:14 pm

I have a 6S+ that benches like day 1, feels like day 1, and has day 1 battery life. My friend just got a OnePlus 5T and couldn’t wait to geekbench it against my phone. He and his octocore were very very disappointed.

I should add that i’m easy on batteries and always have been. By far, the most intense thing i’ve ever done with the phone is watch 3 hour NFL games.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:41 pm

MOSFET wrote:
I have a 6S+ that benches like day 1, feels like day 1, and has day 1 battery life. My friend just got a OnePlus 5T and couldn’t wait to geekbench it against my phone. He and his octocore were very very disappointed.

I should add that i’m easy on batteries and always have been. By far, the most intense thing i’ve ever done with the phone is watch 3 hour NFL games.


Awww yeah let's run Geekbench (of all things) on two different operating systems and compare them like it means something!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2266
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:12 am
Location: Texas

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:22 am

Seems pretty cut & dried to me. One user replaced the battery in his iPhone 6S and immediately got his missing performance back. A pretty sizeable amount, at that. Apple simply has aggressive battery-life saving optimizations that are trading performance as some users batteries degrade.
 
MOSFET
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:42 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 am

DancinJack wrote:
Awww yeah let's run Geekbench (of all things) on two different operating systems and compare them like it means something!


Not to derail, but this was not my idea! I just thought his reaction was hilarious.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:52 am

MOSFET wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Awww yeah let's run Geekbench (of all things) on two different operating systems and compare them like it means something!


Not to derail, but this was not my idea! I just thought his reaction was hilarious.


Nah I know--I was more referring to his idea to compare the two.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:10 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 am

Obviously just my personal experience but my mom owns two ipads. They were purchased at the same time and I am pretty sure it's the exact same model. On one of them there was a software update and now even typing is incredibly slow. The other one is used less often and I rejected the update before someone installed it. It works much much faster.
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:36 am

DancinJack wrote:
Apple confirmed today that they are in fact "slowing down" things a bit to prevent system shutdowns.
Apple wrote:
Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.
.


TRANSLATION
By slowing down phones-apple saves millions of dollars not having to replace the batteries during warranty........................................................
 
BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2308
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 pm

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 am

HERETIC wrote:
TRANSLATION
By slowing down phones-apple saves millions of dollars not having to replace the batteries during warranty........................................................


If this were happening, then there would be reports of people with newer devices (or older devices with newer batteries) where this problem was happening. So far, no indications that this is so but it sure would be a legal pickle not to mention a major public relations problem, wouldn't it?

I am thinking of replacing my iPhone 6 Plus battery, and maybe my old iPad3 battery. The phone is sluggish opening apps and such and the iPad3 takes forever to open or do anything. Annoyingly so. I would have preferred that iOS just give me a choice.

A message that I could respond to in Settings.

"Dear Mr. BIF: You have an old battery. Please choose from the following:
1. Adjust iOS CPU usage to accommodate the battery's age (may significantly increase response time on this phone)
2. To Hell with the battery and damn the torpedoes, afterburners on! (device may be subject to unexpected shutdowns or shorter battery life between charges)
3. Please press here to schedule a battery swap by a local Apple Genius (there may be a charge for this service)

Why do device makers always treat us as stupid? Oh yeah, Kardashians and cat videos. Nevermind! :roll:
 
tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:27 am

DancinJack wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
I have a 6S+ that benches like day 1, feels like day 1, and has day 1 battery life. My friend just got a OnePlus 5T and couldn’t wait to geekbench it against my phone. He and his octocore were very very disappointed.

I should add that i’m easy on batteries and always have been. By far, the most intense thing i’ve ever done with the phone is watch 3 hour NFL games.


Awww yeah let's run Geekbench (of all things) on two different operating systems and compare them like it means something!



3 and earlier were criticized a lot for having that kind of variance, 4 brought OS induced variance down below 5% iirc by virtue of being so low level the OS can't get in the way. It also now uses the same dataset size between phones and desktops since phones will no longer take days to complete that.

I see people continue to criticize GB4 a lot, but I'm not sure if it's on techncial merrit or leftover feelings about 3 and earlier. And if the former, what's the suggested cross platform benchmark that does better?
 
tipoo
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:29 am

BIF wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
TRANSLATION
By slowing down phones-apple saves millions of dollars not having to replace the batteries during warranty........................................................


If this were happening, then there would be reports of people with newer devices (or older devices with newer batteries) where this problem was happening. So far, no indications that this is so but it sure would be a legal pickle not to mention a major public relations problem, wouldn't it?



The 6S did go out with a batch of bad batteries. That's my only annoyance with this, throttling to avoid shutdowns on old batteries is no conspiracy, but for the 6S (and 6 and 6S Plus that weren't covered) owners that had that throttling should have had a user notification to come in for a swap under the free extended program.

They probably avoided a whole lot of the bill by users who would never find out their 6S slowed down to avoid the battery shutdowns. That they had the program at all is good, but it should have come with a user notification to come in to swap the battery to restore performance.

http://bgr.com/2017/02/24/iphone-6s-bat ... own-issue/
 
derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 24713
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:19 pm

BIF wrote:
I am thinking of replacing my iPhone 6 Plus battery, and maybe my old iPad3 battery. The phone is sluggish opening apps and such and the iPad3 takes forever to open or do anything. Annoyingly so. I would have preferred that iOS just give me a choice.


For those particular devices I don't think it's the battery. The iPad 3 and its A5X are just super underpowered. It's also no longer supported, thanks to its 32-bitness. The iPhone 6 Plus is doing a lot with a relative little, in particular with just 1GB of memory. I think it just can't keep up with iOS 11.

An iPad Air 2 or iPhone 6S Plus are powerful enough that I'd suspect the battery.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:43 am

BIF wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
TRANSLATION
By slowing down phones-apple saves millions of dollars not having to replace the batteries during warranty........................................................


If this were happening, then there would be reports of people with newer devices (or older devices with newer batteries) where this problem was happening. So far, no indications that this is so but it sure would be a legal pickle not to mention a major public relations problem, wouldn't it?


Here's a start-
https://wccftech.com/apple-lawsuit-slow ... n-iphones/

Also there were plenty issues with 6s batteries..............
 
Kmakswer
Gerbil In Training
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:33 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:02 am

JustAnAngineer wrote:
My Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro never got any OS updates. :( That is why Samsung tablets and phones are on my "avoid" list. I'm going to try to convert my mother to the dark side with a new iPad this Christmas to replace her Galaxy Note 10.1.

You seem to be saying that Samsung is better than the iPhone , There are many reasons for the iPhone to slow down, possibly with too much junk data in the phone, or too much phone software installed on the phone, which runs too much in the background, Trying to clean iPhone data
Last edited by Kmakswer on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
techguy
Gerbil XP
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:30 am

DancinJack wrote:
Awww yeah let's run Geekbench (of all things) on two different operating systems and compare them like it means something!


Yeah, cuz an Operating System affects multi-platform benchmark results sooooooo much.

:roll:
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

techguy wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
Awww yeah let's run Geekbench (of all things) on two different operating systems and compare them like it means something!


Yeah, cuz an Operating System affects multi-platform benchmark results sooooooo much.

:roll:


This attitude is pretty funny IMO. Most people in here wouldn't run the "same" benchmark on Ubuntu and Windows 10 and compare the scores. Go ahead and keep relying on synthetic benchmarks across platforms to gauge performance though. I'll stick to something else.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 4107
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:40 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7599
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm

My 6s+ was great for a while, but recently it hangs for a good 30 seconds at random times, such as bringing up a txt message or opening an email. Never happened before. I’m sure my battery is degraded, and Apple claims to be limiting burst performance to conserve battery life, but opening a txt message doesn’t require ‘burst performance’ to run reliably.

I just thought it was Apple’s now-sh***y product offering, but it seems that Apple meant it to happen all along and has a great excuse, too. Either way my experience with successive iPhones is so soured by this point that I’ll likely look elsewhere for my next handset.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
 
HERETIC
Gerbil XP
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 am

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 am

FireGryphon wrote:
My 6s+ was great for a while, but recently it hangs for a good 30 seconds at random times, such as bringing up a txt message or opening an email. Never happened before. I’m sure my battery is degraded, and Apple claims to be limiting burst performance to conserve battery life, but opening a txt message doesn’t require ‘burst performance’ to run reliably.

I just thought it was Apple’s now-sh***y product offering, but it seems that Apple meant it to happen all along and has a great excuse, too. Either way my experience with successive iPhones is so soured by this point that I’ll likely look elsewhere for my next handset.


Lot of 6s had faulty batteries-That's why apple did this-to save millions in warranty costs.
A new battery will fix your problem-I think apple in damage mode just reduced the cost.
Just hope they not using same shi**y battery as before..................................
 
FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7599
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: iPhone slowdowns with subsequent iOS updates

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:04 am

HERETIC wrote:
Lot of 6s had faulty batteries-That's why apple did this-to save millions in warranty costs.
A new battery will fix your problem-I think apple in damage mode just reduced the cost.
Just hope they not using same shi**y battery as before..................................


What I don't understand, though, is how opening the text message app goes slow under restrained performance. I mean, it's a simple app that worked seamlessly and quickly on every iPhone ever made. It should open and work quickly even under the lowest of performance circumstances.

If a big 3D game went slow I'd understand, but I don't even have those installed on my phone. I have all background app refresh, automatic updates, and the like turned off, and always have. Instead I have basic apps freezing up.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest