Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

olegtf
Gerbil
Topic Author

iOS on VMware 12

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:26 am

... trying to get virtual apple computer on VMware 12 and/or 14 workstation going, so far no success. Getting stuck on virtual processors executing something what they do not supposed to. Any one has working iOS folder from VMware workstation he's willing to share?

A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: iOS on VMware 12

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Uh...not sure what you're asking. iOS runs on ARM.

Now, if you mean macOS, Apple only licenses macOS to be virtualized from a macOS host, and only licenses Apple hardware to be the macOS host. There may be workarounds out there, but I don't think we can link those and definitely can't share a system image in the forum. Maybe you'd have better luck with a Mac with VMWare Fusion as the virtualization software.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

LASR
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:01 pm

There is no iOS on VMWare. The closest you can get is to run the iOS simulator from Xcode. This is running the x86 version of iOS without hypervisor.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:50 pm

There are indeed workarounds for macOS on VMware. It's been about 4 years, but I had El Cap running in VMware Workstation, after a few tips and tricks. It absolutely will not work with an AMD CPU in the host, though.

I know you asked about iOS. Looks like that's out. How about virtualizing a PhotonOS instance and containerizing what you need? Any chance?
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

olegtf
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 pm

...well it is possible to install MAC OS in VMware workstation in Windows, and there are multiple videos of successful installation. I am stuck on something like "...virtual processors performed something illegal... press OK to reboot or CANCEL to shut down" and it hangs.
I thought instead of wasting time, it would be faster to ask if anyone already have working VM and willing to share... anyways, back to drawing board.
to MOSFET, thanks, well, in my world MAC OS and iOS is the same animal, and no, I need virtual MAC computer nothing else worked so far :-(
UPD. 18 03 18 Done and over with. Installed Sierra 10.12 upgraded to High Sierra on DELLs 7010, 3010. Lenovo W530, T450. Thank you all.