Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Battery recall for 2015-2017 MBP

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:34 pm

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/ ... pro-units/

My work-issued 2015 MBP actually started bulging a few months back, so the friendly folks in our IT department replaced it with a 2018 model (with the sucky keyboard, unfortunately).

The first sign of trouble (aside from a slight drop in battery run time) was me going "Why is my laptop rocking back and forth when I type?" (it would no longer lay flat on the rubber feet since the bottom cover was bowed out slightly).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Battery recall for 2015-2017 MBP

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:54 pm

My old work Macbook did that too, but it was one of the polycarbonate models with replaceable batteries, so it wasn't a big deal - just buy a new battery, done.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 pm

With all the people complaining of their bulging MacBooks, I am surprised this wasn't a thing before...

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 am

My boss had a Samsung laptop with this issue. The internal battery’s bulging eventually became so significant that the touchpad mouse buttons began to separate and pop off the unit, and it was borderline unsafe to use. I rescued it from him tossing it in the bin, and made the battery swap, after which it was fine. Luckily none of the battery’s internals had escaped containment.

Which leads me to my next point.......an argument can be made for small/thin devices such as phones and tablets, but the move away from user-replaceable batteries in larger devices such as laptops serves no purpose other than to be deliberately anti-consumer. It is my hope that any company engaging in this gets burned financially by the practice to the fullest extent possible.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am

The Egg wrote:
Which leads me to my next point.......an argument can be made for small/thin devices such as phones and tablets, but the move away from user-replaceable batteries in larger devices such as laptops serves no purpose other than to be deliberately anti-consumer. It is my hope that any company engaging in this gets burned financially by the practice to the fullest extent possible.

Agreed. Apple has gone way too far down the thin route with the Pro models. They should have user-replaceable SSDs, RAM, and batteries. I get it with the Air models, but not with the Pro.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:52 am

Buub wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Agreed. Apple has gone way too far down the thin route with the Pro models. They should have user-replaceable SSDs, RAM, and batteries. I get it with the Air models, but not with the Pro.

My hope is that now that Apple is producing SSDs with T2 chips on them for the new Mac Pro, some of these horrible design changes can be reversed.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
My hope is that now that Apple is producing SSDs with T2 chips on them for the new Mac Pro, some of these horrible design changes can be reversed.

That would mean admitting they screwed up. They don't seem to be particularly good at that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

That would mean admitting they screwed up. They don't seem to be particularly good at that.

True, but again, the 2019 Mac Pro seems to be a first baby step.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen