Butterfly [Keyboard] in the Sky

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:02 am

Butterfly in the Sky
Your failure rates were twice as high
Take a look
You're not in a MacBook
A butterfly keyboard.

Blaaam: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/04/ap ... -macbooks/

Reasons why Mac ARM miracle chips win all the benchmarks: Apple will give them working keyboards so you can actually start the benchmark.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Butterfly [Keyboard] in the Sky

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 am

You know, I really do love the MBP line of laptops. They're great, if overpriced, and work well. But hot damn Apple tries way too freaking hard sometimes. Like, anyone in their right mind knew the butterfly keyboard was going to suck and people wouldn't like it. And clearly, it wasn't NECESSARY to cut down the thickness of the machine or else they wouldn't be moving back to a scissor type switch. All the butterfly switches did was cost them more time and money. Good riddance.

Even if the "new" switch isn't exactly like the old chiclet style keyboards they use to have, it'll be better than that dumpster fire garbase that currently exists in the Macbook (Air, Pro, and MB) lines.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 am

Jonny Ive announces he's leaving Apple and suddenly functional keyboards are back on the menu. Coincidence? I think not*

actually, I kinda think so, but whatever
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SonicSilicon
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:24 am

And the 701c rejoiced, reclaiming the moniker of its TrackWrite!

Joking aside, calling Apple's design a butterfly keyboard caused some confusion when the switch/spring was first introduced. Not surprising though, considering the same thing happened with buckling domes getting called membrane keyboards (ugh, those atrocities to typing.)
Anyway, glad Apple finally admitted the butterfly design needed to be shelved.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Jonny Ive announces he's leaving Apple and suddenly functional keyboards are back on the menu. Coincidence? I think not*

actually, I kinda think so, but whatever

I'd suspect Ive probably had a pretty big hand in the new switch (which they say is an all new design). Plus, we don't even know if it's true yet.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 am

LOL... I am one of the sad victims of their stupid butterfly switch experiment. Even when it works as intended, it sucks. God, I hate, Hate, HATE the keyboard on the current MBP. At least I didn't pay for it with my own money (work-issued laptop). My employer is probably getting less productivity out of me now, because I am disinclined to work on the train during my commute since it means I need to use THAT keyboard, instead of the real keyboards I connect to it when I'm at home or the office.

You'd think that they'd have gotten at least one of tactile feedback, reliability, or serviceability right. But NOOO... it's an epic fail on all three.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 am

I don't particularly dislike it - it is quite loud tho... haven't had any reliability problems "yet" - I have a 2017 model one, and I think my arrow keys stuck a couple times, in 2+ years... I hope I don't get any issues! :) :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 am

qmacpoint wrote:
I don't particularly dislike it - it is quite loud tho...

While I agree it is louder than a scissor switch, it's still pretty quiet IMO. It's quieter than a typical mouse button click, for example. I'm guessing the sharper "click" of the butterfly switch is a consequence of still needing to provide some semblance of tactile feedback with so little mechanical travel (i.e. yet another design compromise driven by the mindset that thinness trumps everything else).

qmacpoint wrote:
haven't had any reliability problems "yet" - I have a 2017 model one, and I think my arrow keys stuck a couple times, in 2+ years... I hope I don't get any issues! :) :(

Unless you're using it exclusively in a room that is pressurized with HEPA-filtered air, it is probably just a matter of time.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
Unless you're using it exclusively in a room that is pressurized with HEPA-filtered air, it is probably just a matter of time.

Yeah - I'm using it on my living room for the most part (one dusty mess that gets vacuumed every week) and I do use compressed air every now and again... but yeah it's just a matter of time indeedn....

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 am

qmacpoint wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah - I'm using it on my living room for the most part (one dusty mess that gets vacuumed every week) and I do use compressed air every now and again... but yeah it's just a matter of time indeedn....

Blowing it out with compressed air is probably not a good idea. As likely as not, you'll force some piece of debris further down into the mechanism. A computer vac would be better.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 am

just brew it! wrote:
Blowing it out with compressed air is probably not a good idea. As likely as not, you'll force some piece of debris further down into the mechanism. A computer vac would be better.

yeah that's a way better idea!