Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

OS X use as admin?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:38 pm

Hey guys,

Lately I've been considering my OS X usage habits. I am both the admin and primary--er, only--user of my computer. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Isn't there malware/spyware maybe out there that might sniff out my keys or something if I'm in admin? At any rate, I started a new "standard" priveleges account that it defaults to when loading instead of the admin one, but now I have to start over! All my widgets, finder folders, smart folders, etc are all back to default. I just don't want to have to deal with that hassle, so I logged out and back into Admin position.

Any advice? Is it okay/safe to just run as Admin all the time in OS X? Yeah, I know I get password prompts for any serious actions, but still...

For some reason I think Ghandi had some insight on this, but for all we know those posts are all nuked. :-?
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: OS X use as admin?

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 pm

I ran as admin for 2 years on my laptop and never had an issue. The only malware-type things I've ever seen for OS X all required user action and authorization anyway (even running under an admin account), so I don't think you're going to have any security issues. Especially since admins still don't have root access by default IIRC.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Yeah, anything that needs escalated rights needs your password anyway. I've been running as admin since 2004 on whatever Mac I've had (started with a 400MHz G4 tower and 10.3.5, up to my Mini with 10.5.4).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am

I do not run as admin. Like Linux/Unix, it's just not a good idea because you can, in fact, screw up your computer. You can access admin rights any time you need to, so why bother?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:48 am

so Thresher do you have two accounts? that seems to be the only way that's possible, unless you open up the root account and then make your account a non-admin...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 am

Eh? Running as admin in OSX is just like running an "admin" account in Ubuntu -- you don't get root access for anything, as such, unless you enter your password, and that gets you sudo access to do that specific task.

The only difference is that the admin account has the capability of running privileged tasks, while that's impossible for a non-admin account unless you know a priv'd account's user/pass.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:15 am

bthylafh wrote:
Eh? Running as admin in OSX is just like running an "admin" account in Ubuntu -- you don't get root access for anything, as such, unless you enter your password, and that gets you sudo access to do that specific task.

The only difference is that the admin account has the capability of running privileged tasks, while that's impossible for a non-admin account unless you know a priv'd account's user/pass.

correct. think more of BSD (wink*) not Linux here, running as an admin on OSX is akin to being in the "wheel" group on BSD - not running as a super-user.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:31 am

Ok cool thanks for the info. Yeah as a compromise I've made it so that the computer will default boot to a vanilla "standard" account. I rarely restart anyways, and if I do I just Log Out and Log back in as my usual account. Reason? No reason I guess. Maybe a small deterrent. Not sure.