Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

crazybus
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: New Mac desktops

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
24GB in what, 8GB DIMMs? Don't most X58 boards have 4 slots?
6, except for the cheapest ones.
derFunkenstein wrote:
I disagree that they're not a good value. If your time is money and you use your computer to make money, and if the Mac Pro can get things done faster, doesn't that make it an outstanding value?
True, but comparing hardware vs Core i7 systems leans heavily against the Mac Pro cost-wise. If there's a Mac only app that you need to run and it's a justifiable business expense then alright, but for all but those folks with excessive disposable cash it's a tough sell.
derFunkenstein wrote:
I see what you really want - you want a Core 2 Quad iMac. Remember that iMacs are built with mobile parts. Are there Core 2 Quad mobile parts yet?
Mobile quads are available, they're just expensive and have relatively low clock speeds. iMac's are otherwise fine (if not very upgradeable), but like you the thought of spending much north of $2000 on an AIO is not happening.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I disagree that they're not a good value. If your time is money and you use your computer to make money, and if the Mac Pro can get things done faster, doesn't that make it an outstanding value?

If your only choices are Mac Pro or nothing at all. Which oddly enough I think that sentence explains so much about the Apple users view point. They simply don't care about the outside world, sometimes to their benefit but often times to their (large) disadvantage. Not really the thread for it, but each day it all becomes more clear.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm

It's a reasonable disappointment. Dell charges 164 more dollars for the qx9300 on the precision m4400 (compared to the x9100 3.06). So in Apple's case they could make it a 200-300 dollar upgrade.

Derfunk the precision m4400 is a laptop :)

As for good 24 inch ips panels, they go for 600-700 and more.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:10 pm

oh, my bad. i thought it was a desktop machine you were comparing.

Even moreso at $600 to 700, I want a good IPS panel to last a couple of systems.

I know, I know, I'm talking out both sides of my mouth. I bought an AIO system. But I didn't spend that much. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:36 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
24GB in what, 8GB DIMMs? Don't most X58 boards have 4 slots?

I see what you really want - you want a Core 2 Quad iMac. Remember that iMacs are built with mobile parts. Are there Core 2 Quad mobile parts yet? I know they were at one point planned, but if they're not available and won't be available for a while, you probably won't see them in an iMac. And I'm curious what kind of pricing they'll get - you could conceivably see a Core 2 Quad iMac come in at a higher price than a Nehalem quad-core Mac Pro. Sure, you get the display, but I cannot fathom spending $2500 or more on an AIO computer. I can't see spending $2000 on one, even if the screen is worth $400+ of it (and a IPS 24" panel would be worth $400, I think).

X58 boards are triple channel, so they generally have either 3 or 6 memory slots.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:55 am

Right, but I was thinking that boards like this were the norm, where it appears on Newegg's motherboard listing I was wrong. Don't mind me.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen