Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wireless USB NIC

Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 am

My boss needs a wireless adapter for her Mac laptop. I'm pretty sure it isn't the latest and greatest OS that's on it. (And the fact that it doesn't have wireless built into it should give you an idea what's on there.)

A favorite manufacturer of mine is D-Link, but the wireless USB NICs I've found on NewEgg don't mention Mac compatibility.

I know nothing of Macs so I'd like a suggestion please and/or enlightenment.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Wireless USB NIC

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 am

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Asus/WL167G/

OWC is really good about keeping mac-compatible items at reasonable prices. I would trust them as much as I trust Newegg. And if you look and find the adapter cheaper, you can still get the drivers from the above link. Requires 10.3.9 or 10.4.x as a minimum. Can't say for sure if it'll work with the built-in Airport software or if it uses its own software.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:30 am

Any time I'm not sure if an item will be supported/work properly in my environment, I try to pick it up locally so that I can return/exchange it easily if necessary.

-SF

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Requires 10.3.9 or 10.4.x as a minimum.

You know, I don't recall the last Mac laptop without WiFi built in -- pretty sure the toilet-seat iBooks had it, so maybe the Wall Street G3s? -- so is it likely to run 10.3?
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:17 am

I'm just going by teh product page.

There's an Orinoco PCMCIA card that has drivers that go all the way back to 7.5, though. If you have something old enough that it has a PCMCIA slot you can definitely find other cards.

Toilet seat iBooks were the first to have the Airport slot, and then the first Powerbook was the one that came out the following winter/spring (Pismo), which is easily identified by its Firewire port. Basically it works like - if your Mac notebook has Firewire, it has a slot for an Airport card.

Some folks might not want to spend the ridiculous price that an Airport card commands nowadays though - last I looked (whcih has been a while) they were selling on eBay for upwards of $70. IF the machine isn't used on your lap a whole lot (always ona desk) then USB would be reasonable.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm

SNM wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

You know, I don't recall the last Mac laptop without WiFi built in -- pretty sure the toilet-seat iBooks had it, so maybe the Wall Street G3s? -- so is it likely to run 10.3?

I have a Wallstreet G3 sitting right now on my desk.. Bought in 1998. Still works like a champ but the max you can put on it is OS X 10.2 officially.

I tried forcing OS X 10.3 with Xpostfacto but it failed miserably..

Adi

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:09 pm

SNM wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Yep, the Wallstreet G3 doesn't have Wifi, USB or Firewire.

On the other hand it does have 2 PCMCIA slots and an external SCSi connector...

Adi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Lombard G3s did not have Airport slots, while I'm thinking about it. I've got one kicking around here - two USB, SCSI rather than firewire, dual PCMCIA, but no airport. I play You Don't Know Jack volume 1 and 2 on it. My wife loves it for that reason.