Right, I know nothin' about macbooks and OS/X but...
A friend of mine (really) just bought his missus a second hand macbook pro. He wants me to upgrade the hdd to a 500GB jobbie and RAM to 4GB.
He says its 18 months old and here's the spec list he sent me:
• 2.16GHz Core Duo processor
• 2MB shared level 2 cache
• 1GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) supports up to 2GB
• 120GB Superdrive 5400 rpm hard drive DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW
• 17 inch (diagonal) TFT viewable widescreen 1680 X 1050 pixels
• ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM
• Built in isight camera
• Express card/34 slot, Firewire 400 port, Firewire 800 port, three usb 2.0 ports
• DVI port, DVI to VGA adaptor included
• built in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet
• Built in Airport Extreme card (802.11g)
• Built in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
• Backlit illuminate keyboard and ambient light sensor
Now, my question is is the upgrade he wants even possible? Not sure exactly what model it is but the list above does state 'supports up to 2gb'
I can't see why a lappy only 18 months old would be limited to 2 Gig which is why I'm askin' you guys.
Secondly i guess it'll use sata hdds and will support a 500GB drive. Correct me if i'm wrong.
And lastly if i do replace the drive is it just a case of ghosting it from the old one or do i have to completely reinstall the thing?
Ooh, one more... What about licensing? Do i need an activation key ala Windows or does the installer just pick up that it's a macbook so obviously legal?
Ok, one more. Will the latest OS version go on this thing with no probs or will i have to use an older version?
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.